BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 06-12-2018, 05:32 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

8" of snow to the east of us, but none here. Winter storm warnings and frost warnings to the north, but again, not here.... Garden and greenhouses planted. We got about 1/2 " of rain here, so everything is watered well. Now if it gets sunny again, all will be well. Son from Nebraska arrives or Thursday evening.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:17 PM
Master Pontificator

70 and sunny

have not slept since 5am yesterday, been too busy. yesterday morning I picked up more cherry lumber from the amish mill (so smooth its almost planed, 14 cents per board foot milling fee, my own mill would make lumber needing a lot of planning, smaller lighter head rattles while in use because its so light), then I loaded the trailer again, took it back with more logs for them to mill, then I gathered up pallets in town to make firewood racks on, unloaded the truckload I found, and filled a 2 cord rack. no sooner did I finish filling it than I got a call for what will probably be the biggest firewood sale of the summer, a local non profit group on the rez wanted a huge amount for ceremonial fires, sweats, etc. so I loaded the truck up and started hauling wood. got a few loads in by dark, on the way back from 1 delivery I stopped by a friends place and sold some of that lumber, making enough to cover the entire wagon load that day (while only selling about 1/5th the lumber from it) then I gave the money to another friend towards a table saw I was buying form him, loaded up the table saw in the truck, got it home and into the shop (big commercial size craftsman table saw from the early 80s, back when craftsman didn't suck). immediately loaded more wood to haul and kept running firewood all night until finishing the last load at 7am, dropping the invoice at their office at 8am, then going to pick up the wagon from the amish mill that I dropped off yesterday, got home, unloaded the lumber, sorting what I could sell and what I was keeping, then loaded more logs onto it to drop off again at the amish mill. just got home and did a round of egg collection and found a 4th buff orpington is broody, will have to move her to the broody coop tonight, but for now I can barely keep my eyes open I am so tired, still very excited over that sale, will amount to more than double the amount of money I estimated I would make this month.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:08 AM

After a couple decent days it looks like the heat will be coming back. Mid 90s starting today and they say 98 both Sat and Sun. The private lake I fish at is having a small bass tournament on Sunday. I was going to fish it then changed my mind, now with 98 forecast I'm glad I did.

With the nice weather I did spend Tuesday night in the camper at the lake. 12vman, thanks for the tip on the ceiling fan it worked great. Now the down side of this lake is, it's pretty close to the railroad tracks, and the side of the lake I decided to stay on is the closest side. Basically I'm about 50 yards from the tracks. It doesn't help that this is also main line for the Union Pacific. Between 10 pm and 11 pm, 5 trains went by, lol. After that I can't tell you because I slept though them, only to be waken up by the sound of geese honking. I was sure it would have been a train that would have woken me up in the morning instead of geese.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:24 AM

Default This Forum is Dying

Sadly I have seen this forum go from thousands of posts per day to almost no posts. I hate to see it go but I think it's going to be gone soon. I am going to leave the forum. I check it every day and it's not worth the time to even log in. I bid all of my friends and not so friendly friends good bye and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead.

The GMAN

"People who disrespect our flag have never received a folded one"
Old 06-14-2018, 10:45 AM
Master Pontificator

I noticed the trend as well, there are only about a dozen people who regularly log on. I think it has to do with the technology, this forum and others like it are low data, a fairly old social format that was popular in the 90s but with newer data intense stuff like myspace, shitter, facebook, googleminus, etc these older types of sites are limited to the folk who either refuse to use the newer stuff or who have terrible dial up speeds limiting them to the older formats. tends to be text heavy and rely on actual thought and articulaton, unlike the newer formats where people post pictures and don't have the time to type or read more than 5 words at a time.

sorry to see you go, I for 1 will be here holding on till the end, my internet sucks and I despise the way those other intellectually void websites operate.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:55 PM

Internet has been wonky the last week (?) or so as weather has been deep, deep overcast, cool, windy, and damp. Did get about 3cm rain in the gauge over it all. Problem is with high temps at no more than 10-12C, that means lows are 1-3C... Garden is OK, just not "popping" as it should. Rhubarb is taking over the province...

Tuesday was the nicest day the last week or so. To town for the usual stops as it is senior day discounts. Sweetie got a nice cast iron skillet, egg, muffin, pancake donuts maker made in Norway. Kind of fun and easy to use.

Got remodels done to rabbit pens in big barn. Sweetie just has to finish painting. I don't do paint other than JD green or yellow on metal. Just in time as she made a trade for some New Zealand Red, and Giant Chinchilla (?) rabbits. She will have to supply details. They are nice looking. Also two of sweeties young banty/silkie hens are trying to set. Each has a clutch of mixed size eggs, so we will mark the calendar and see what happens.

Dog has been cranky for several days, in, out, bark, bark, a real pain to deal with..... So after town Tuesday evening we were watching a movie, I went to kitchen to get a glass of water, to see a bear come out of the bush into the lower part of the donkey paddock. By the time I got ready to "intervene" in this behavior it was headed strait towards the livestock barns. I succeeded in getting it to abandon that path and return to the bush where it came from into the paddock at a fast pace. It was obviously a black bear by shape, about 120 kilo or so, about the same size as our donkey only shorter. At that size of bear, it is a definite threat to the donkey and other large livestock. It was unusual in that the coat of this bear was almost a bright rust red. I do know they have red, silver, and a kind of blue cast variations to there coats at times. First non typical we've seen here.

Otherwise life in the bush is good.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:12 PM

Surprise, surprise, surprise!

This is a 3 paycheck month, and for the first time in YEARS I have not had to put a big expense on credit!

That means that I can take the entire third paycheck and use it to pay down old debts. Then, since all of the rest is on low-interest places perhaps I can pay off a CHUNK of things during the next few months: I had intended to focus on paying things down during the summer but I never expected it to work: I have vowed this before.

Paying off debts can be addictive. There is the pickup note, the 0% interest debt on Cap One, the $1500 we still owe on the property outside of town, etc... how exciting!

I just got back 2 days ago from visiting family in California. We also were able to immediately pay for that, as it is much smaller than our usual big expenses like storm damage to our buildings or major car repairs. And I am inspired: for tonight's meal I can take some noodles and some cheese and some fish and add a big salad..... yes.

We will eat out of our cupboards and our homestead as much as possible for a couple of weeks to get this pay-off-debts thing jump started. Right now our homestead is yielding a few peas, we have eggs and bok choi to burn, and the green beans and potatos are blooming and both should bear very soon. We also have a pantry.

I am excited. because for the first time in years I think we have a chance to get out from under some of these debts. I have been feeling like I have been nibbled to death by ducks because every time we get the chance to do something major on the debts something else expensive breaks: it has been doing this for several years, now.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1gman View Post
Sadly I have seen this forum go from thousands of posts per day to almost no posts. I hate to see it go but I think it's going to be gone soon. I am going to leave the forum. I check it every day and it's not worth the time to even log in. I bid all of my friends and not so friendly friends good bye and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead.

The GMAN
The last time I recall this site having thousands of post a day was when it had been taken over by trolls. I hated it, and after a bit I left and I stayed away for about 18 months.

Spewing a long stream of obscene words Is about as fun as reading a dictionary, and the fact that most of it was aimed at members did not make it any better.

Yes, this site could use a bit more traffic but not THAT kind of traffic. All told I am pleased about the change, as watching people abuse each other is no darned fun. I have a backwoods home partly to get away from that kind of noise.

Could this forum be livelier? Yes. Is it better than it was? ALSO yes.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post
The last time I recall this site having thousands of post a day was when it had been taken over by trolls. I hated it, and after a bit I left and I stayed away for about 18 months.

Spewing a long stream of obscene words Is about as fun as reading a dictionary, and the fact that most of it was aimed at members did not make it any better.

Yes, this site could use a bit more traffic but not THAT kind of traffic. All told I am pleased about the change, as watching people abuse each other is no darned fun. I have a backwoods home partly to get away from that kind of noise.

Could this forum be livelier? Yes. Is it better than it was? ALSO yes.
Agreed, Terri. I find I still get good information from this site, and I hope it continues. I wish some of the folks that went to Facebook groups would return--the good ones. I wasn't on it in the early years, but I found it nice to have a forum that was not so busy that you couldn't follow all the threads. Thousands of posts a day would have been one of those sites. It is too slow now, but I, like Setanta, will probably stay here as long as it exists.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:24 AM

Looks like it's going to be a hot and windy weekend with temps around 100. Left the AC on all night last night, which is the first time I've done that this year.

Might be a break coming the middle part of next week. If so I may spend a couple days at the lake.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:15 PM

My son from Omaha is here, and he is glad to be out of the heat. He and his younger brother are down in Seward trying to catch some salmon--limit 12 per person per day right now. Cool and rainy here, with highs around 60 F.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:53 PM

It's hot out there.

REALLY hot out there.

Ugh.

So today I am staying in and I went shopping at the Backwoodshome moving sale, and got a book on cheese making and Jackie Clays book of pantry recipes. I had considered buying them in previous years but, frugal soul that I am, I decided against t. But at 40% off I bought them both.

And it is still hot out there: instead of my usual hour gardening I think I spent just 3 minutes, most of which time was spent hooking up the sprinkler.

I will probably go fishing next week, for the first time this year. And I have heard that it might rain next week but I do not believe it: they have said that too often this past summer. It will never rain again. COUNT on it!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-16-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
It's hot out there.

REALLY hot out there.

Ugh.

So today I am staying in and I went shopping at the Backwoodshome moving sale, and got a book on cheese making and Jackie Clays book of pantry recipes. I had considered buying them in previous years but, frugal soul that I am, I decided against t. But at 40% off I bought them both.

And it is still hot out there: instead of my usual hour gardening I think I spent just 3 minutes, most of which time was spent hooking up the sprinkler.

I will probably go fishing next week, for the first time this year. And I have heard that it might rain next week but I do not believe it: they have said that too often this past summer. It will never rain again. COUNT on it!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry things are miserable there. It has been raining for the last two days, and the temp is just about 55 F. at the moment. I have sons out fishing at the moment, and I have been fiddling around the house--mostly inside.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:53 AM

If I send you some sun will you send me some rain?
Old 06-17-2018, 05:36 AM

Quote:
If I send you some sun will you send me some rain?
It's a deal!
Old 06-17-2018, 12:12 PM

Will be another hot one today, but it looks like relief is on the way next week. Normal temps and chances of thunderstorm almost every day next week.

The private lake where I camp and fish is having a small Father's Day bass tournament today, probably 8 or 9 boats. At first I was going to get in, but changed my mind a week or so ago. While I like bass fishing, I guess I'm not really into tournament fishing.

The tournament is for a 2 man team per boat and has a $25 entry fee per person so it pays out to the top three places. I talked to the guy that runs the place and told him I'd like to paint up some lures and give some away. So I painted up 6 lures which is enough for three teams. I told him I wanted to give them to guys that didn't win any money. One set of lures was to go to the guys that finished last, and the other sets to a couple of other non money winners.

I've been painting lures since last winter, and now come summer I've been testing them out. So far I've caught some decent fish with them, and even managed to sell a few lures along the way. I doubt selling lures will ever get very big, it's more of a hobby to give me something to do in the winter, but then a little extra income can't hurt.

Here's a couple pictures of some of the lures I've painted. Around here anything looking like a bluegill works well.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5GiS5RisZ94hAxmFA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/z1gUx7pAQxBWD59V7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QjDbqZqbh2DQj1968

This one is more of a crawdad pattern

https://photos.app.goo.gl/f3aBrAaL8qzYb62x9

And this one won't ever hit the water, it was just something different to do

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bwxApz6oRaczHran8
Old 06-17-2018, 12:34 PM

And that DEFINATELY looks like a bluegill! I am impressed!
Old 06-17-2018, 12:51 PM

Thank you.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:33 PM

Default BACON..... BACON....

HAPPY FATHERS DAY.......

Fathers Day breakfast at the local community hall. Always the same breakfast, but always good. Caught up on most of the latest neighborhood news. Seems I'm not the only one with "critter" issues in the neighborhood... No damage or loss of livestock yet, but haven't talked to the bee guy neighbor in a while. He always seems to have a battle every year.

Turned hot here. I know that is a relative term, but when it gets anywhere over 20C to 30C, people and stock start to suffer. (about 70-80F) Only newer homes in Pot Hole City (in the hot river bottom) have central AC. Very few older homes have it. Practically no homes in the bush have it, but up this high it isn't needed as a couple fans will do. Supposed to be in the 20-30C range for a bit more than the next full week.

Busy after breakfast working in wood shed. Will take it easy now until late this afternoon, then hit it again.

Going to have to negotiate with Doninalaska for a box of frozen fish. Hmm. What have I got to trade ??

Hunter, beautiful lures, too bad the favorites seem to snag the quickest. On a day when nothing else seems to work, it won't hurt to try the red, white, blue one ?? What ever works.....
Old 06-17-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
Will be another hot one today, but it looks like relief is on the way next week. Normal temps and chances of thunderstorm almost every day next week.

The private lake where I camp and fish is having a small Father's Day bass tournament today, probably 8 or 9 boats. At first I was going to get in, but changed my mind a week or so ago. While I like bass fishing, I guess I'm not really into tournament fishing.

The tournament is for a 2 man team per boat and has a $25 entry fee per person so it pays out to the top three places. I talked to the guy that runs the place and told him I'd like to paint up some lures and give some away. So I painted up 6 lures which is enough for three teams. I told him I wanted to give them to guys that didn't win any money. One set of lures was to go to the guys that finished last, and the other sets to a couple of other non money winners.

I've been painting lures since last winter, and now come summer I've been testing them out. So far I've caught some decent fish with them, and even managed to sell a few lures along the way. I doubt selling lures will ever get very big, it's more of a hobby to give me something to do in the winter, but then a little extra income can't hurt.

Here's a couple pictures of some of the lures I've painted. Around here anything looking like a bluegill works well.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5GiS5RisZ94hAxmFA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/z1gUx7pAQxBWD59V7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QjDbqZqbh2DQj1968

This one is more of a crawdad pattern

https://photos.app.goo.gl/f3aBrAaL8qzYb62x9

And this one won't ever hit the water, it was just something different to do

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bwxApz6oRaczHran8

Very impressive! Do you make the bodies as well?