BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:48 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Horton View Post
HAPPY FATHERS DAY.......

Fathers Day breakfast at the local community hall. Always the same breakfast, but always good. Caught up on most of the latest neighborhood news. Seems I'm not the only one with "critter" issues in the neighborhood... No damage or loss of livestock yet, but haven't talked to the bee guy neighbor in a while. He always seems to have a battle every year.

Turned hot here. I know that is a relative term, but when it gets anywhere over 20C to 30C, people and stock start to suffer. (about 70-80F) Only newer homes in Pot Hole City (in the hot river bottom) have central AC. Very few older homes have it. Practically no homes in the bush have it, but up this high it isn't needed as a couple fans will do. Supposed to be in the 20-30C range for a bit more than the next full week.

Busy after breakfast working in wood shed. Will take it easy now until late this afternoon, then hit it again.

Going to have to negotiate with Doninalaska for a box of frozen fish. Hmm. What have I got to trade ??

Hunter, beautiful lures, too bad the favorites seem to snag the quickest. On a day when nothing else seems to work, it won't hurt to try the red, white, blue one ?? What ever works.....

The son from Nebraska and his brother (youngest son) are down on Prince William sound now fishing, but I have no reports. Most of the salmon fishing here has been shut down, supposedly due to warm water in the Gulf of Alaska but I think it is a combination of mis-management or resources (giving the commercial guys free rein to strip the resource), at-sea strip mining of the Northern Pacific by Asian interests, and the Fukushima plant still pumping thousands of tons of radioactive waste into the ocean. I would swap if I get any fish, Tim, but we will have to wait and see.

When youngest son picked up his brother at the Anchorage airport on Thursday night, they saw a brown bear beside the road. My oldest son has been having some problem with black bears, and several of the "neighbors" have had blackie problems, but we have had none so far. With the fish run low, we may see starving bears later in the Summer.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:57 PM

I buy the bodies, they are plastic.

I wanted to get into painting the bodies, but I didn't really want to get into all the work of making wooden bodies.

As Tim said the favorites seem to snag the quickest. I figured if I spent a lot of time on a lure, building it from scratch, I'd be afraid of losing it and not putting it where it needs to be to catch fish.

Plastic bodies from China don't cost very much, but we'll have to see about those Trump tariffs won't we. I prep 5 or 6 plastic bodies and can usually have them painted, eyes put in, and the hard covering put on in a couple hours after supper. So if I lose a couple while fishing, I just come home and paint up some more in the evening.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:03 PM
Master Pontificator

cool lures
Old 06-18-2018, 12:17 AM

Hunter

Didn't some of those lure bodies come with a deep hole in them to put a scent attractant pill into ??

You could drill a hole in one a fill it with stink bait just to try out. Keep in a separate tackle box, keep that box in the boat.... Not the house or attached garage.....
Old 06-18-2018, 12:27 AM

Actually many of them have little metal balls inside of them. They make a nice rattling noise that is a fish attractant.

Now the soft plastics I use, like plastic worms or plastic crawdads have a scent attractant, usually garlic. I have to put those back in the bag before heading home, or the inside of my Jeep smells like the local Pizza Hut.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:04 AM
Master Pontificator

overcast and around 70, torrential rain yesterday but sunny the week before

I got so much one I don't feel like bragging about it all, so just doing the highlights. I hauled 3 loads of lumber home from the amish mill, got screwed by a different amish mill (not the guy who ripped me off in the past, I took 3 truckloads of large cedar logs to a different mill, he took a month and a half to do it and rather than all the 2x8s I asked for he milled everything down to useless 1x4s basically ruining the logs and giving me a huge pile of worthless twigs), the one that did the 3 loads has never ripped me off yet. in addition to hauling lumber home I also hauled several loads of logs out (either logs light enough I could load in truck, such as cedar for 4x4s and 2x6s and 2x8s, or logs loaded via ramp and cant hook onto a trailer).

also did a lot of running around checking things off my errand list, mostly chasing down people who owed me money and paying people I owed money to. picked up a few potential firewood sales (past customers who asked when I saw them at the firehall chicken bbq an parade).

also hauled up about 17 more cords of wood, even in the torrential rain an lightning yesterday I kept going with hauling wood. stacked only the stuff the right size to stack, most was large an got piled to split later this week. tractor has an oil leak from a gasket on the bottom, once that started I figured it was time to have a lot of overdue work done, repair shop planning to pick it up today or tomorrow, don't know if they will get the jubilee working (asked for an onsite repair concurrently with picking up the other one) in case I got no tractors I made sure I had enough wood to split that I won't be sitting around wasting the week on down time.

also I think I lost 15 lbs this week, despite all the food I been binge eating, I estimate I been burning 10,000 calories a day
Old 06-19-2018, 10:21 AM

Cooled off with some rain, though some areas got too much rain. My sister lives about 12 miles south of me and said yesterday she got 4.5 inches, while I had less then an inch.

Thought about fishing today, but still pop up showers here and there on the radar. Might be a window later this afternoon.

At least the heat is gone for a few days. It was 93 when the first storm went through about 5 pm yesterday. After it passed I looked at my thermometer and it was 75. Got to sleep with the windows open last night. Well aside from a few minutes when a passing cell came by and it rained for a bit.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:50 AM

Well, I will not do THAT again!

I have always heard that you can start harvesting new potatos after the plants bloom, and so I have been feeling around under the plants with no luck at all, and the plants bloomed 3 weeks ago. So, today I harvested an entire plant, but it only had 2 small potatos under there. If I had let it grow I probably would have had t very large potatos, but as it is I will have a small side dish for myself.

I have heard that heat reduces the number of potatos set, and that might be happening in my garden right now. If I am only going to get 2 potatos per plant I really would prefer that they get large.

I am glad I dug the plant as I have been VERY curious abut those potatos, and I DO love new potatos, but I believe I will let the rest of the plants finish their life cycle without me feeling around the roots. The rest of the potatos can wait until Fall.

Also I ate black raspberries for breakfast. I do love homesteading!
Old 06-19-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post

Also I ate black raspberries for breakfast. I do love homesteading!

Yea, ain't it a hoot to have a whole meal from soup to nuts and berries that you grew yourself? Good feeling.

Potatoes will keep on getting bigger until the above-ground leaves stop photosynthesizing (ie- they turn brown)

On that other forum you recently mentioned something about not letting stored potatoes freeze. Actually, it's ok for them to freeze. You just can't let them thaw before you use them. Frozen potatoes can be "baked" just fine in a microwave, if you let them just start to thaw, and of course, if you cut 'em up before freezing you can fry them later.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:53 PM

OK.

I figure I will just let them be until the tops die back.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:30 PM

It is starting to rain for the first time in many, many weeks. The chickens are yelling their heads off, though I am not sure if they are upset or excited: while chickens hate rain they are also not fond of heat, and the heat just broke.

My son called: his apartment wants the utility money ASAP and he does not have it. But, I am up to my elbows in tub refinishing and he KNEW the utilities were going to be due, and so I told him I could not pick him up until tomorrow (I offer him work when he needs it: since I am handicapped I usually have something energetic that I would just as soon pay him to do).

He asked if I would pay him up front and he could then work it off and I refused. A Mother's work is never done. He knows when the utilities come due and he needs to think ahead. So I told him to talk to the office and to tell them that he has been promised work.

He created it: he needs to fix it.

Last edited by Terri; 06-19-2018 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:53 AM

Good for you, Terri! Glad you got the rain I sent you...but I am waiting for your sun....
Old 06-20-2018, 03:22 PM

Barometer has been up and down like an elevator. All the way from bottom to top and back again. My ankles, knees, hip are keeping me aware of all this changing.

Hot, dry predicted until this time next week. One day of "light rain" only thing in forecast a week or more out. Had Elvis (old washer on back porch) do several loads of laundry yesterday. Think it all dried in an hour or so.

MIL called early yesterday afternoon. Forest fire on other end of lake from them. Within 10 minutes of hearing report they could see smoke, had truck and animals ready to go in 10 minutes or less. After last year they are set to respond as needed. A couple round trips from load on the fly water bombers and situation was under control. They seem right on top of things this year more so than last year. Over 20 fires reported in this district alone all man caused so far.

Did an assortment of small detail follow through jobs yesterday. Clean, maintain chain saw, change chain. Clean, lube, scrape dry tree sap and the like off log splitter. Clean and refill one of donkey drinking bath tubs. Clean, refill goose kiddie pools.

Had a triple mouse catch in wood shed. Had three traps out, all full. They say to put out all the traps you have. If you have 6 traps in a package, set all. If only 2 traps in a package. Buy more packages. Need to put out ant killer on the hill in the black berry patch as they will be ready sooner than other things.

We've been watering garden almost every evening. You guys want to share a little rain ??
Old 06-20-2018, 04:44 PM

Yes I would be glad to give you some rain.

Had a couple inches the other day, and then last night around 10 pm it started again, finally stopping around noon today. Fortunately the long spell wasn't very hard and only amounted to another couple inches.

I missed the stuff from yesterday afternoon, but some areas got 7" of rain then. Not sure what they got last night and today.

Needless to say most eastern Nebraska and western Iowa are either under a flash flood watch or warning.

And there's a 60% chance of rain tonight with a 50% chance again tomorrow.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninalaska View Post
Good for you, Terri! Glad you got the rain I sent you...but I am waiting for your sun....
Well, you only sent me 1/10 of an inch of rain.

Would 5 minutes of sun be an acceptable exchange?
Old 06-21-2018, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post
Well, you only sent me 1/10 of an inch of rain.

Would 5 minutes of sun be an acceptable exchange?
Actually, we had a BEAUTIFUL day today--77F. and sunny. Sorry if some of the rain missed you. It sounds like Hunter got most of it in Nebraska.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:03 AM

We're on track to have a record for precip for June here too, but it's all come in two sets of very rainy days. Two weeks of drought separating the sets. My clay paddock is so damp over the last five days that algae on it looks like a lawn.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:19 AM

WOW....... What a night...... Haven't got to say that in a long time... snicker

Clouded over about 7pm, cool, strong north wind, thunder and cloud lightning. Although it was a comfortable temp to sleep, there was little of that with the lightning and thunder. Suspect there will be fire issues somewhere with this weather as there usually is. Power was off and on about 4 times by about 11pm. No reports on hydro web site about what was power issues or about areas still with issues. Likely just some ground fault type resets at sub stations. Those resets do seem quite fragile.

Dog was upset enough to spend a lot of the night by my side of the bed within arms reach. He rarely does that.

Barn roof still wet this morning with a fine mist about. Dog came in wet, but only about half a centimeter of rain. Better than none, but a 2 day slow steady soak would be grand.

Like the old neighbor said, skeeters are bad, but no ice on the roads.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:21 PM

It is trying to rain again, off and on, but we still have less than 1/2 inch. But I will TAKE it I will TAKE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is also overcast and cool today, which is a nice treat!
Old 06-23-2018, 08:49 PM

After plenty of rain we've had a couple of days of nice cool dry weather, though it has been cloudy. Gave me a couple days to get some fishing in. Today I had a rod snap in half when I was setting the hook. A $100 one piece rod turned into a worthless 2 piece rod.

Funny part was about 10 minutes after it happened the guy I bought the rod from called me on my cell phone. I told him it was great timing. He said come by Monday for a new rod.

Tomorrow is my yearly family get together. This year we are going to have it at the lake instead of my house, which is great since I was getting tired of having it at my house.

It's my kids and grandkids, my sister along with her kids and grandkids. This will be out first get together without mom. Now if we can keep the rain away one more day.