BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:41 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

You could also see if they have traps at animal control you can borrow. If you don't have any dogs or cats of your own roaming, you could also try a less friendly trap like a Conibear 330 or a snare around your chickens. Good luck!
Old 07-05-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setanta View Post

...then my drug dealing neighbors pitbull wandered up to my place,.... animal control doesn't scare him....

Sounds like a call to your uncle Guido and The Family is appropriate at this point. What size cement overcoat does the dog wear?
Old 07-05-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
I feel the same way about consuming red meat. At this late date in life not sure if it affects my physical health, but it sure helps my mental health and tastes so good.

I'm pretty sure the word "vegetarian" is derived from the ancient Neandertal dialect meaning "lousy hunter."
Old 07-05-2018, 10:42 AM
Master Pontificator

I got cats roaming but they don't go within 1/4 mile of that guys place because of the pitbull. it came up to my place in the past and tried to rip the door off the cabin to get to them, that was back when I was tolerant of the guy and gave him rides to town, F*** you was his response when I asked him to keep it on a chain then, knowing it would eventually be a problem (only had 2 cats then, was very early after moving in). it tore up my dog while my dog was on a leash at my side. its also killed a number of chickens (run into yard, grab one, run away before I could get the gun, then un back to the neighbors property where it illegal for me to shoot it). animal control did nothing when it attacked my dog, did nothing when it was raiding chickens (stopped when I made the chickens start living in heavily fortified coops, which also stopped the raccoons and stuff from bothering them as well). the only justice I got was hurting him financially by stopping my attempts to be neighborly and told the cops about his drug operation leading to it being raided. after that he still let the dog run loose but with even more of a F*** you attitude. there is a leash law in this area but animal control is powerless (when I was attacked by dogs while out on my bike and injured all they did was quaranteen the dog 10 days as a rabies precution then give it back to the owners with a $100 fine for violating the leash law, the same people then would go back to not using a chain but them and their friends and family would be pissed off with me for getting them ticketed). because of the way a lot of these people I feud with act I have to be very careful to sty within the letter of the law even if the law is powerless and ties my hands in the feud. I report it to the cops they tell me to call animal control, I call animal control they re basically powerless. if I used traps or poison or anything that would solve the problem I can expect the guy to poison my livestock and then I would have no legal recourse.

this is just the type of person I am dealing with, the guy has done nothing for decades except live alone in a 14x14 shack, listening to public radio on a battery powered radio, and using kerosene lamps (barely a glow), gets his food from food stamps (when he doesn't buy steak and trade the steak for beer), firewood from heap (low income fuel supliment, basically 10 cords free wood that the county pays for), then sits around getting drunk or high (his money came from his pot crop). he has no impulse control and I have seen him whip it out and pee in the yard of a daycare when there were kids in the building looking out the window, he smokes heavily and is driven by his addictions and can't go 5 minutes without a fix. he also never bathes and once had shit smeared long johns sitting on the floor of his place, till they were covered in mold (he fouled himself while passed out drunk). that pitbull also pees on the guys bed but he didn't wash the sheets and just slept on it. he has been in and out of jail for all sorts of things (dwi, arson, drug possession with intent to sell, getting drunk and shooting a friend in the face over an argument) and only respects other criminals (another guy was hiding from the police at his place for a month 2 years ago, when the guy was caught he faced a year in jail, the guy hiding had left his 2 year old daughter alone in a stroller in front of a bar for 6 hours while he was inside drinking on a hot day). the kind of person I am dealing with has no respect for law of any kind, and won't keep the pit under control unless I have some kind of leverage to force him to, and I can't get rid of the pitbull without being really lucky and having a gun in hand when it shows up or breaking the law to kill it. tried using the law in dealing with him, doesn't work and he knows it and is emboldened by it, so putting a sign up telling the public about his criminal record will piss him off and there isn't anything he can do about it (not defamation if its true), if he wants the sign gone he has to keep the pitbull on a chain or break the law which would give me something more to throw the cops at him with.

I heard that joke before doc, goes around the rez a lot but as the variation of "vegetarian is a Mohawk word for bad hunter"
Old 07-05-2018, 11:23 AM

Storm went through last night just after sundown. 60 mph winds and driving rain ruined more then one fireworks show. I'm sure a lot of people weren't happy, but it was one of the quietest 4ths at bed time in a long time.

The storm hit my house about 9:30. It was 85 outside when the high winds hit. 30 minutes later it was 71.

Bright spot it, after a 105 to 110 heat index yesterday it's nice and cool this morning, perfect fishing weather.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:25 PM
Master Pontificator

just realized why the guy is so pissed off about the sign, he has another crop growing. he has dense vegetation blocking the view of where he grew in the past, he is trying to hide his current crop, its too late in the year to grow another, if he is caught by the cops or it gets stolen by thieves he will loose his entire income for the year. to attempt to claim defamation he would have to allow the cops to check his place to prove the sign is false (even then the wording is vauge and can be claimed past tense for last time he was caught, so still not defamation). there is really nothing he can do except be pissed off with huge billboards pointing to his current grow (probably making him as pissed off as I am over not being able to get him to keep his pitbull off my land). now I am so giddy I am dancing in my seat realizing how screwed he is, and he can't do anything except make himself get in worse legal trouble than he would for having his current crop.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:45 PM

Yesterday and for the next full week are to be warm. Highs of 20-25C, with afternoon thunderstorms. Yesterdays storm was only enough to wet the grass about the time to do chores.

Off to Costco today for a car battery. Thing only lasted 9 years. About a year and a half ago service shop said it was going bad. They sure don't last like you think they should. (sarcasm off) snicker.

Stacked 40 bales of hay in new remodel bunny barn. Resident hoppers are exploring there new digs. Now I can get other barns cleaned out. Now to get the brush hog mower busy in the big pasture where needed. Also have some salvaged wheat seed (winter wheat I think) to put in some thin spots in both pastures.

No new "critter" issues of late, knock on wood.

Steanta
I know situations can be frustrating, but like the old saying can be adapted.
Don't let temper write a check you have trouble cashing.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
I got cats roaming but they don't go within 1/4 mile of that guys place because of the pitbull. it came up to my place in the past and tried to rip the door off the cabin to get to them, that was back when I was tolerant of the guy and gave him rides to town, F*** you was his response when I asked him to keep it on a chain then, knowing it would eventually be a problem (only had 2 cats then, was very early after moving in). it tore up my dog while my dog was on a leash at my side. its also killed a number of chickens (run into yard, grab one, run away before I could get the gun, then un back to the neighbors property where it illegal for me to shoot it). animal control did nothing when it attacked my dog, did nothing when it was raiding chickens (stopped when I made the chickens start living in heavily fortified coops, which also stopped the raccoons and stuff from bothering them as well). the only justice I got was hurting him financially by stopping my attempts to be neighborly and told the cops about his drug operation leading to it being raided. after that he still let the dog run loose but with even more of a F*** you attitude. there is a leash law in this area but animal control is powerless (when I was attacked by dogs while out on my bike and injured all they did was quaranteen the dog 10 days as a rabies precution then give it back to the owners with a $100 fine for violating the leash law, the same people then would go back to not using a chain but them and their friends and family would be pissed off with me for getting them ticketed). because of the way a lot of these people I feud with act I have to be very careful to sty within the letter of the law even if the law is powerless and ties my hands in the feud. I report it to the cops they tell me to call animal control, I call animal control they re basically powerless. if I used traps or poison or anything that would solve the problem I can expect the guy to poison my livestock and then I would have no legal recourse.

this is just the type of person I am dealing with, the guy has done nothing for decades except live alone in a 14x14 shack, listening to public radio on a battery powered radio, and using kerosene lamps (barely a glow), gets his food from food stamps (when he doesn't buy steak and trade the steak for beer), firewood from heap (low income fuel supliment, basically 10 cords free wood that the county pays for), then sits around getting drunk or high (his money came from his pot crop). he has no impulse control and I have seen him whip it out and pee in the yard of a daycare when there were kids in the building looking out the window, he smokes heavily and is driven by his addictions and can't go 5 minutes without a fix. he also never bathes and once had shit smeared long johns sitting on the floor of his place, till they were covered in mold (he fouled himself while passed out drunk). that pitbull also pees on the guys bed but he didn't wash the sheets and just slept on it. he has been in and out of jail for all sorts of things (dwi, arson, drug possession with intent to sell, getting drunk and shooting a friend in the face over an argument) and only respects other criminals (another guy was hiding from the police at his place for a month 2 years ago, when the guy was caught he faced a year in jail, the guy hiding had left his 2 year old daughter alone in a stroller in front of a bar for 6 hours while he was inside drinking on a hot day). the kind of person I am dealing with has no respect for law of any kind, and won't keep the pit under control unless I have some kind of leverage to force him to, and I can't get rid of the pitbull without being really lucky and having a gun in hand when it shows up or breaking the law to kill it. tried using the law in dealing with him, doesn't work and he knows it and is emboldened by it, so putting a sign up telling the public about his criminal record will piss him off and there isn't anything he can do about it (not defamation if its true), if he wants the sign gone he has to keep the pitbull on a chain or break the law which would give me something more to throw the cops at him with.

I heard that joke before doc, goes around the rez a lot but as the variation of "vegetarian is a Mohawk word for bad hunter"
I don't see how traps or snares on YOUR property would allow him to poison your livestock. You could use game cameras (well hidden) to document violations of your space. Live traps from animal control would be well within the law, and any time you caught his dog, have animal control pick it up an fine him. Ammonia solution in a squirt gun is an effective weapon against dog attacks while on your bike. Folks I know who bike a lot use that as a deterrent if you can hit the offender on the nose. Of course, bear spray is even more effective, but is costly and illegal in some jurisdictions. Sorry you have such trouble with your neighbor.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Horton View Post
Yesterday and for the next full week are to be warm. Highs of 20-25C, with afternoon thunderstorms. Yesterdays storm was only enough to wet the grass about the time to do chores.

Off to Costco today for a car battery. Thing only lasted 9 years. About a year and a half ago service shop said it was going bad. They sure don't last like you think they should. (sarcasm off) snicker.

Stacked 40 bales of hay in new remodel bunny barn. Resident hoppers are exploring there new digs. Now I can get other barns cleaned out. Now to get the brush hog mower busy in the big pasture where needed. Also have some salvaged wheat seed (winter wheat I think) to put in some thin spots in both pastures.

No new "critter" issues of late, knock on wood.
It sounds like you are still a few days behind us on weather. Our warm spell began late last week and has continued wonderfully since, with temps of 77 F. (25 C.) or above as highs. I hope you got your new battery. I bring all my little-used batteries into a warm space in the winter to extend the life, but some, like the tractor, I have wrapped with a battery blanket to keep warm.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:

this is just the type of person I am dealing with, the guy has done nothing for decades except... listen to public radio ...
Oh, no! Not only are you dealing with a jerk, but you're dealing with a Liberal jerk! How much worse can it get?

I still like the cement overcoat idea. No corpus delecti. "The dog just ran away and never came home, I guess. That's my story and I'm sticking to it."
Old 07-06-2018, 12:50 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Oh, no! Not only are you dealing with a jerk, but you're dealing with a Liberal jerk! How much worse can it get?

I still like the cement overcoat idea. No corpus delecti. "The dog just ran away and never came home, I guess. That's my story and I'm sticking to it."
lol, I would have made the dog disappear if it would stay in sight long enough, it goes through heavy brush to get here (my lot is the only one that's cleared, and even then the cattle are not neumerous enough to mow it all down, so they only eat part of it and the rest is growing back in clusters), then flees before I can do anything.

the guy knows the letter of the law just as well as I do, I know abiding the law restricts what I can do to deal with the problem, and he knows the law is basically powerless to stop his criminal activity and knows the loopholes to reduce any responcibiliy. this is a liberal state, and even if he is caught the law will often be linient on him as a "victim of societies rules". out here they even stopped punishing people for repeat DWI's and now give them disability if they loose their jobs because they are not criminals they are "just sick and need help", no more jail just a lot of feel good therapy
Old 07-08-2018, 09:41 AM
Master Pontificator

sunny and in the 80s, same last few days and expected for at least another week, early signs of drought conditions.

haven't heard a word from the drug dealer or his friend, seems they haven't tried to go after the sign again. technically I could press charges for trespassing or attempted vandalism, and that would give the cops propbable cause to go on his property and find his current grow, they may have realized that and decided to not try again, or maybe they were freaked out by me running out of nowhere with an ax the minute they tried to destroy the sign the first time (they might think I have it monitored on a camera or something).

my other neighbor is back in the area and will be moving in perminantly this week, he has been unsuccessful in selling his old farm and relocating but came up for a job interview as a bus mechanic at the local school, he got the job so is moving up.

Friday I finally got tired of waiting on the dumbass mechanics I been trying to hire to fix the tractors, I ended up ripping the tractors apart and doing most of the repairs myself. there are 2 minor repairs I can't do, but I can probably have my mechanic neighbor fix those later after he is settled in.

yesterday I spent most of the day building a 6x8 shed that I put up for sale for $600. the lumber came from logs on my property, milled by the amish (too big for my mill). I sold enough lumber off each truckload to cover more than the costs of milling so the lumber effectively cost nothing, the roofing, nails and hinges cost $60 (estimate), so it will be a 10x return on investment when it sells (it did take 12 hours to build). my neighbor has a few chickens at his old farm but doesn't have a coop for them up here, he stopped in while I was building it and said he will buy it, he also wants to buy a larger one for his daughters goats if I make another, so I gotta mill more lumber (out of boards for floors) then I will be working on that later this week. also I got to haul and stack more wood, I am 3 months behind schedule on that.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:58 AM

Weather has been stuck in a decent pattern for a while now. Sunny, upper 80s low 90s, light winds, and lower humidity, so not too bad. Sounds like Monday the humidity comes back and the temps move up to mid 90s.

With the better weather I've been in the boat at the lake every day. Usually it's been mornings before the sun gets too hot, but today I'm waiting for evening to fish. Figure I'll hit that last couple hours around sunset, then spend the night in the camper and go again first thing in the morning, getting out before the heat and humidity start up again.

Monday I may take some time and map the lake. There is no contour map of this lake, but the fish finder I have has the ability to make a contour map with 1 foot increments. All I have to do it put the fish finder's transducer on the bottom of my trolling motor. My trolling motor has a built in transducer that I usually use, but it can't make a map, only the transducer that came with the finder can do that.

All I have to do it put the trolling motor in the water, and then use the gas engine to drive slowly around the lake. This lake is about 60 acres, long and narrow, so I'd think a total of 4 times up and down the lake should cover it. Basically I'm looking for stuff out in the middle of the lake that might hold fish but you can't see. Usually underwater humps or points that stick out into the lake, something different that hold fish offshore.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:46 PM

A cold front came through last night, so our warm spell is over. It is now 63 F. and raining. The slugs will come out of hiding in very short order. I don't know what to do when there is so much to do outside, and I don't want to do it in the rain....
Old 07-09-2018, 02:04 AM

A cold front came through last night, so our warm spell is over. It is now 63 F. and raining.
RRRRRRRRRRRR
Thanks for that bit of info Don. Will be looking forward to ti. Not hot here, but warmer today and muggy to the max. Afternoon thunderstorms the last few day only amounted to about 1cm rain total.

Took the disk on the tractor and lightly roughed up some thin spots in both pastures. Hand spread some treated wheat seed that was spilled and reclaimed. Don't know what kind, doesn't matter. Any plant that will establish a root system in that ground will help. Now a bit of rain on it would be nice.

Don't even talk to me about mowing yard. That is the last thing I have got around to this summer and it looks it. Kind of ashamed over that, but other things came first. Did buy another 21" walk behind mower at a garage sale. It looks almost new. Started kinda hard and blew blue for a minute. Think it had been stored tipped up somehow. Runs fine now. Doesn't need sharpening yet. For $10 couldn't go wrong.

I have got a couple outdoor things done I wanted to do. So if it rains I have a number of shop projects to finish. And now with rabbits sorted and moved, another barn to clean. Seems barn cleaning never ends. Will call around tomorrow to feed stores and see who has the best price on 18% rabbit pellets by the pallet. Now that barn is remodeled we have room and places to safely store that much. It won't go bad and we will use it all eventually.

Today was sweeties rhubarb day. She boiled off juice and made rhubarb curd. It is more yellow than red because of very dark yoke farm eggs. WONDERFUL stuff in little pie pastry shells. Not sure what else she has in mind, but will depend on what other fruit is on sale that will go well with rhubarb.

Our closest satellite library is in a small strip mall. Next to a not very good (my opinion) Asian Indian restaurant. Restaurant burned, library got smoke damage. Reopen with a small ceremony yesterday. Smells all of new paint, new carpet and ceiling tile. They are a small group of just wonderful staff there. We enjoy dealing with them. Nice to have it back in operation.

Out for birthday dinner last night. Was good. Will have neighbors over another night for cake, tea, and a board game.

Hunter
Neat plan to map your lake. Can you put old Christmas trees out on the ice in spots you want them to let sink and create habitat ?? Game and fish department can do that, Can you ??
Old 07-09-2018, 12:13 PM

But I am not READY for my blackberries to be ripe!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot argue with a plant. Today I must get myself out there and pick-pick-pick, and possibly water them as well as there is a drought on in Kansas. I do not wish to see the berries shrivel up.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Hunter
Neat plan to map your lake. Can you put old Christmas trees out on the ice in spots you want them to let sink and create habitat ?? Game and fish department can do that, Can you ??
This lake is loaded with brushpiles. If fact a new lure I just painted yesterday, I lost to a brushpile already today. At least I got to catch one fish with it before I lost it. Have to paint a replacement tonight.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
This lake is loaded with brushpiles. If fact a new lure I just painted yesterday, I lost to a brushpile already today. At least I got to catch one fish with it before I lost it. Have to paint a replacement tonight.
!@#$%^&*()
Dude....... You need to friend someone with scuba gear.....
Old 07-10-2018, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Horton View Post
!@#$%^&*()
Dude....... You need to friend someone with scuba gear.....
Yeah, there were places here that were/are popular for off-the-bank salmon fishing. Divers would place snags near the casting beaches and would dive in and retrieve the snags (along with all the lures attached to them) at the end of the season.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Yeah, there were places here that were/are popular for off-the-bank salmon fishing. Divers would place snags near the casting beaches and would dive in and retrieve the snags (along with all the lures attached to them) at the end of the season.
Considering the cost of some lures, a guy could make some good money, or pick up some good lures doing that.

I can't believe what some charge for their lures. There is a squre bill crank bait that Megabass sells for $20. I buy a plastic blank that looks and acts exactly like it for $1.25. I paint it, add about $1.50 worth of hooks and split rings, and have basically the same thing. I've lost a couple of them to brushpiles this summer, but to me it's a couple bucks so it's not that big of a deal. If they were $20 each, that would be another story.

Many of the crank baits that sell for $6 or $7, I buy the blanks for 60 or 80 cents. Of course they come from China, so I'm waiting for them to put a tariff on them and raise the cost.