BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 07-18-2018, 05:40 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post
I have decided that I am good with having the Roma Plum tomato being a determinant because my other paste tomato is Amish Paste, and I have grown Amish Paste before. It will yield until frost. The first tomato will give us a big slug of tomatos now, and then the Amish Paste will take over. The kitchen should be well supplied.

Do you need to grow your tomatos in the greenhouse, or are you able to grow them outside?
We grow a few outside, but they always struggle. Most of our tomatoes, and all our peppers are in a greenhouse. Most of our cucumbers are in greenhouses as well, but we do grow some outside and in low tunnels, especially picklers.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:35 PM

Hot dry weather here. Got a weedeater at yardsale on the reservation, and a new lawnmower that was a return item so on clearence as damaged for 20.
Have been cutting weeds and clearing the deadwood on our new homested and discovered that many trees here are chockcherrys😃
They are ripe now.
I planted some rotten potatos insted of throwing them out and these have stemed up also. Corn isnt doing too good as iv been busy at work and not there to water everyday.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:58 PM

Well. color me surprised. Those dry, tasteless "Roma Plum" tomatos have made a vibrant-tasting sauce!

I was not going to use it this week but I changed my mind as I ran out of steam before I got dinner set up. Usually I do the meal set up in the AM to avoid that, but this time I did not and this afternoon I drew a blank when it came to food for DH and I.

Well, that is one reason I keep preps. I got out a package of Bear Creek dehydrated chili, and I added water and that baggie of Roma Plum tomato sauce. I did taste the sauce and it is good: makes me wish I had planted more of them so I could freeze more for this winter.

Doninalaska, I get my cucumber seeds from Great Britain, and I have been VERY pleased with how well they do in our overcast springs here! This makes sense, as Great Britain is noted for having overcast days, and my favorite cucumber "F1 Burpless Tastygreen" does very well in our dreary springs.

They are right now struggling from the heat, but because they are burpless the cucumber beetles do not like them, and that is a BIG plus! Where I live the cucumber beetles are a much larger threat than the heat is. The cucumber beetles ALL carry a serious wilt disease, and most gardeners drown their cucumbers in poison if they want to get more than a few cucumbers. I rarely spray mine: I do not have to because the beetles leave them alone. I get the seeds on-line from seedaholic.

Actually, people admire my cucumbers, and I let them think that I am a great gardener, when actually it is the variety and not the gardener.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:56 PM

Glad those tomatoes work for you, Terri. You might also try Longkeeper or Golden Treasure storage tomatoes. They are open-pollinated tomatoes selected for storage. You pick them while green and store them on an open shelf. They ripen over a long period and we often have fresh tomatoes from the garden in December here, long after the garden is under snow. They are offered by Territorial. I have found Longkeeper other places since it has been around for decades (that I know of, but I have not found Golden Treasure anywhere else.

I used to order from Thompson and Morgan because they offered mostly seeds from the UK, but I haven't placed an order with them for some years. I have never heard of Seedaholic, so I will look that up. I have been trying to grow mostly open-pollinated stuff recently, and for most things, it has worked out well. The exception would be greenhouse cucumbers. Although Telegraph-types will grow, they don't produce much in our short season, and heating the greenhouse for long periods just isn't practical. All my greenhouse cucumbers are parthenocarpic because I can't deal with manually pollinating everything. Outside where bees can get to them we grow open-pollinated plants under a low tunnel until they bloom, then the cover is removed for pollination. Our cucumbers are really starting to produce now, and we will be pickling next week.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:17 PM

Default GLORIOUS RAIN.......

Must have started late last night into this morning. About 2cm it appears so far. Still overcast with clouds moving around.

Setanta must have loaded his couch back into the truck to make it rain. Our forecast is showers through most of the day Saturday. I'll take it.

Got the brush hog on the tractor. Mowed lower pasture. Got some trails mowed in upper pasture. Need to do detail mowing around where I have been felling firewood and some other places. Mowed to extend the yard out to furthest limits. Moved some bush back about 20 meters or so in a spot I can push and pile snow if needed. Now just have to finish mowing details.

Weed whack pathways through raised garden beds. It appears we will have black currents ready soon. Wild and tame Saskatoon berry and Honey berry are slow and small so far this season.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:24 PM

I have heard of honeyberries but I have never seen them or tried one. Do they yield as much as a blueberry will? Are they similar to a blueberry when you eat them?
Old 07-20-2018, 07:17 PM

Not bad weather for late July, mid to lower 80s, and 60s at night. Humidity isn't too bad so I can open the windows of the bedroom at night.

Decided to take some windows out of my patio room/sun room/ catch all room. It's a 16' by 22' room with mainly windows around it. The room never had much more then a dining room table in it and a long kitchen counter on one wall. I always kept it empty since twice a year I needed room for my family get together and Thanksgiving. Since I don't do those anymore, I've made more use of the room, and set up a spot where I paint my fishing lures.

I've needed an inside spot where I can shoot some of my YouTube videos and have been getting by in this room, but too many windows. I needed a solid wall behind where I sat. So today I picked up some OSB, 2x4s, and a few sheets of paneling. I'll take the windows out of the south wall and make it solid. I'll still have a door on that side I can open and it has the old style screen door that is all screen no glass, so I should get plenty of air through that when needed.

Guess it's been a while since I've bought OSB. I think it was around $8 last time I bought some, today it was over $15 a sheet.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:11 PM

I was poking around the back of the fridge today. I suspect that the valve that allows water into the ice maker is shot, because the tubing looks fine. and there is not much else it could be. Later DH will dig out his multi tester and see if power is going through that part.

I planted beans in pots today. Normally it is WAAY to late to be planting string beans: here they are a spring crop. Only, we got late freezes which delayed the planting of everything, and then the heat hit a full month early. they were blooming when the heat hit and it was so hot that no beans set. And, DANG we love fresh garden beans!!!!!!!!

We risk losing the beans to an early frost, but what the hey. I will harvest a potato plant or two a bit early and put the bean seedlings in their place. We will not have enough to freeze but we might be able to have some fresh. It all depends on when the first frost hits.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post
I was poking around the back of the fridge today. I suspect that the valve that allows water into the ice maker is shot, because the tubing looks fine. and there is not much else it could be. Later DH will dig out his multi tester and see if power is going through that part.

I planted beans in pots today. Normally it is WAAY to late to be planting string beans: here they are a spring crop. Only, we got late freezes which delayed the planting of everything, and then the heat hit a full month early. they were blooming when the heat hit and it was so hot that no beans set. And, DANG we love fresh garden beans!!!!!!!!

We risk losing the beans to an early frost, but what the hey. I will harvest a potato plant or two a bit early and put the bean seedlings in their place. We will not have enough to freeze but we might be able to have some fresh. It all depends on when the first frost hits.
Good luck with the beans, Terri. Could your icemaker filter be clogged? I just changed mine today. The note on the old filter said to change the filter annually, but the date on the old filter was 2/21/2005, so I reckon it was a little overdue!
Old 07-22-2018, 01:57 PM

"Sir Percy and the Ladies” or, "I shall never look at a rock concert the same again".

Today I gave the chickens a piece of freezer-burned liver. When I gave it to them Sir Percy first gave out an enthusiastic crow, and then began to sing (cluck) and dance in excitement.

As the ladies gathered around to see what was happening he then put the moves on one hen after another. And, while at that moment the hens were more interested in the liver, once the food is gone I have no doubt that Sir Percy will get lucky

Gives me a whole new outlook on rock concerts when the gents sing and dance while wearing skin tight clothes. Though in my opinion “The Red Hot Chili Peppers” was pushing the limits of good taste when they took the stage wearing nothing but socks!

My refrigerator has no filter on it: I don't know why. If the trouble is not in the valve then I think we will need a new ice maker
Old 07-22-2018, 10:17 PM
Master Pontificator

rain first half of the day, then sunny but humid and warm

yesterday was sunny, split and stacked 3 cords of wood an loaded another trailer with logs to take to amish

today I tried to ride my bike out but it started raining so I gave up that idea, split about a cord of wood for my personal supply in the afternoon, truck needs work, but I should be able to do it, tranny cooling system has a leak, I got advice from my new neighbor on what to do, going to drop off trailer load of logs Monday morning/tomorrow at the amish then go to auto shop for the stuff to fix the truck, slow leak, not critical yet.

been kind of lazy lately
Old 07-23-2018, 10:12 AM

Well got my windows removed and everything done for that project.

Looks like the weather is going to be very nice for the next week or 10 days, at least temperature wise. Low 80s or even upper 70s up until the first week of August. Might be able to give my AC a little more time off.

Waiting for some rain to pass this morning. Light stuff that won't amount to much, but waiting for it to pass before heading to the lake to fish. I love fishing cloudy days, so I want to take advantage of the clouds while I can. Just don't want to chance any lightening that may accompany a small thunderstorm.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:56 PM

Still moderately warm here--high temps in the low 70s F. No rain for a while, but may get showers tomorrow. It is supposed to cool slightly by the end of the week, but we will see. The garden is doing the best in years, but it got a slow start due to cold May weather.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:46 PM
Master Pontificator

near 90, high humidity, sunny

dropped off a load of logs at the amish mill this morning, will pick up the lumber this evening, if the thunderstorms hold off long enough (feels like they are coming with this heat and humidity) I will load another load of logs in the morning.

after dropping them off I ran out and got the stuff to fix my trucks minor leak in the transmission cooling line. on the way home I stopped at the menonite store and picked up a crate of sweet cherries for $31. then I spent about 5 or 6 hours pitting them and running 13 quart jars through the canner. I jar will make 1 pie this winter, got plenty of apples left in jars, but that's it, now I got some cherries, hope to get peaches and pumpkins this year, though my own pumpkin vines and other squash have done almost nothing, bad garden year.

split some woo in the afternoon.

had to run out again after the mechanics that dicked around and never fixed the tractor called to demand I pay them $140 for the 2 times they came out and did nothing. despite them not fixing anything then never coming back I couldn't refuse to pay it (they would go to court and I would look like someone trying to get out of a bill, regardless of them not doing anything), before leaving home I stuffed the money in my sweaty socks under my feet, then put my boots on and walked around an hour making the money soaked with sweat. then I drove over and took off my boots and socks to fish out disgusting sweat soaked money and handed it to them, they were clearly repulsed and disgusted and didn't want to touch the money, but they did (carefully with gloves and a repulse look on their face). i might have been stuck paying a pointless bill, but they paid for their bull####
Old 07-25-2018, 04:07 PM

Mid July felt like August and all this week feels like September. I wait with real curiosity to see what August brings: will it feel like October or like August?
Old 07-25-2018, 06:27 PM

60 F. and rainy today. We haven't had rain for a while, so it will do the garden good. Salmon are finally running in good numbers.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:06 PM

Yesterday was a day I will NOT soon forget...
Sweetie woke me at 5;30am saying, we have something to do. Dress for town.
OK........ Calm, cold 2C degree morning. So off she drives me to very near the end of our road that ends by the river. There lives a neighbor who it turns out has a plane and small run way hacked out of the bush. She says, I got you a plane ride for your birthday. HOLY BUCKETS....... So off this guy and I went.

Droned around the country side. all the lakes, swamps, hay fields in our part of the district. No bears or moose out on the fields. Flew low pass over the house. Sweetie out in the yard waving like everything. Gave her a bit of Dutch Roll (wing waggle)

It has been about 30+ years since I followed a prop. It was almost embarrassing how rusty my skills were. The plane is a 1949 Aronca Super Sedan. Typical "1/2 ton pickup" type of bush plane for its time. Kind of fussy to trim up and find its sweet spots. Once you do, it is a very docile, gentle touch on the controls old plane. At 180 horse power it is tail wheel up in 5 to 10 meters. Short roll, tail down and main wheels off in 30 meters or so and your at tree tops instantly. Landing is just as docile. Throttle back, trim set your speed, side slip just a bit to maintain your spot and you are down. A wonderful experience set up by a wonderful woman.

Today we went to town to pick berries. Town in river bottom is a zone 5 where up in the bush we are zone 2 different years zone 2a at best. Plenty of places along rivers, parks, along rail tracks with bush to pick berries. Sweetie knows where about every bush available is. We got some more than 2 liter of wild Pin Cherry. About a liter of wild Saskatoon.

Yes Terri.. Saskatoon is much like a smaller blueberry in many ways. Our wild and tame Honey Berry (political correct name = Haskap) isn't quite ready yet. Got a coffee cup full of Thimble Berry. Much like a wild red raspberry. Also there is a kind of no name high bush cranberry that isn't ready yet. Sometimes 3-4 days makes a big difference.

We use rose hips in homemade rabbit feed. There will be a ton of them available this year.

Got my saw chains back from sharpener. Despite the wood shed being full, I have a chance at a BIG bunch of free firewood. If it is stacked in this yard, it will get used eventually.

Doninalaska... Glad to hear about rain. Hope we are with in 24 hours of that. Our forecast for the next ten days is sunny, clear, warm.
However.... This afternoon it is time for some quality time with the recliner...
Old 07-25-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Horton View Post
Yesterday was a day I will NOT soon forget...
Sweetie woke me at 5;30am saying, we have something to do. Dress for town.
OK........ Calm, cold 2C degree morning. So off she drives me to very near the end of our road that ends by the river. There lives a neighbor who it turns out has a plane and small run way hacked out of the bush. She says, I got you a plane ride for your birthday. HOLY BUCKETS....... So off this guy and I went.

Droned around the country side. all the lakes, swamps, hay fields in our part of the district. No bears or moose out on the fields. Flew low pass over the house. Sweetie out in the yard waving like everything. Gave her a bit of Dutch Roll (wing waggle)

It has been about 30+ years since I followed a prop. It was almost embarrassing how rusty my skills were. The plane is a 1949 Aronca Super Sedan. Typical "1/2 ton pickup" type of bush plane for its time. Kind of fussy to trim up and find its sweet spots. Once you do, it is a very docile, gentle touch on the controls old plane. At 180 horse power it is tail wheel up in 5 to 10 meters. Short roll, tail down and main wheels off in 30 meters or so and your at tree tops instantly. Landing is just as docile. Throttle back, trim set your speed, side slip just a bit to maintain your spot and you are down. A wonderful experience set up by a wonderful woman.

Today we went to town to pick berries. Town in river bottom is a zone 5 where up in the bush we are zone 2 different years zone 2a at best. Plenty of places along rivers, parks, along rail tracks with bush to pick berries. Sweetie knows where about every bush available is. We got some more than 2 liter of wild Pin Cherry. About a liter of wild Saskatoon.

Yes Terri.. Saskatoon is much like a smaller blueberry in many ways. Our wild and tame Honey Berry (political correct name = Haskap) isn't quite ready yet. Got a coffee cup full of Thimble Berry. Much like a wild red raspberry. Also there is a kind of no name high bush cranberry that isn't ready yet. Sometimes 3-4 days makes a big difference.

We use rose hips in homemade rabbit feed. There will be a ton of them available this year.

Got my saw chains back from sharpener. Despite the wood shed being full, I have a chance at a BIG bunch of free firewood. If it is stacked in this yard, it will get used eventually.

Doninalaska... Glad to hear about rain. Hope we are with in 24 hours of that. Our forecast for the next ten days is sunny, clear, warm.
However.... This afternoon it is time for some quality time with the recliner...
Tim, glad you spent part of your birthday in the air. Flying through the Bush isn't like flying other places, especially if there are mountains and passes involved.

As far as weather goes, they were predicting yesterday that this rain would end this afternoon, but today they are saying it will go through the weekend. Who knows what tomorrow's forecast will be. Usually they can predict one day ahead okay; apparently not any more. Disgusting!
Old 07-27-2018, 09:10 AM
Master Pontificator

Tuesday was sunny then it rained, big news from Tuesday is that my mechanic neighbor who just recently moved next door came over and fixed my jubilee (been broken for a year now, first time in a year that its actually running good). used it with the loader and forks to move 2 sheds that he bought off me (on payments, though if he fails to pay I am willing to overlook it as long as he keeps my tractors working, cost me under $150 to build the sheds/coops in materials and it was just 18 hours of my time).

Wednesday and Thursday were either too rainy or too hot and humid.

had a few more chicks die (4 of them) been using save-a-chick probiotics and antioxidant treatments in the water but doesn't seem to make a difference, they have high quality feed, and I dust the floor with diatomecious earth to kill insects (only works when dry, so doesn't do anything if they eat it, other than nutrition). seems they start having a high mortality rate once they reach 3 weeks age to 8 weeks. one of the older buff hens is sick now, going to treat that coop (half have diareah, they been getting probiotic treatments too, no chicks in that coop) with worm medicine (and other internal parasites), give them all a good clean out, see if that changed the diareah and if the sick one gets better. if that's the case i'll treat the other coops as well, the chicks may be succumbing to worms. a few of the dead ones died of pasting but most had clean butts so while its a contributing factor in the mortality rate its only amounting to 10% at most. still with the rate of chicks born I should triple the flocks even with the high mortality rate.

also had a broody setting on 12 eggs for the last 29 days, last night I checked, only 3 were still under her, the nest was filthy and stunk, and the bottom of the hen was filthy, from what I can guess, 1 or 2 broke early, tainted and killed the rest then they rotted and broke. had to put the hen in a broody breaker (cage hanging on the wall for cold drafts to go under her).

thinking the flock might also have some kind of disease communicable, if that's the case (I looked up common diseses and haven't found any to match what I see) then the chicks are getting it and only the strongest ones are surviving, the weaker ones drop dead before becoming resistant/immune.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:35 PM

County fair started today, and like clock work it rained. Only this time instead of being by the outside arena for my daughter showing her horse, it was inside watching my granddaughter show her goats. Never thought I'd see the day I'd prefer goats over horses, but today the goats where just fine. With one of the babies they raised this year she got reserve grand champion so she was real happy. I think she and my daughter were both kind of surprised by that.

Plenty of cool weather for the last few days and a few more to go. Got up early to do some fishing Friday morning and the temp was in the upper 50s. Not typical July weather.

Saw someone talking winter weather coming up and they mentioned a new El Nino for this winter. Which should mean warmer then normal temps and above normal moisture. August will be here next week, so guess it's time to start thinking firewood. Unfortunately each week when I go down to check the trail camera, the mosquitoes are terrible. Hate to think what it would be like trying to cut wood.