BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 07-29-2018, 02:33 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

We have ice.

Testing showed that it was not the valve in the ice maker that I had thought it was, it was a valve further down the line. I did not have a youtube for THAT valve, and I did not even know what it was called, so my husband volunteered to do it for me last night. He is good at repairs but he hates fixing things, so I do the easier fixes myself. So, it is done and we now have ice.

My LOW raised beds that I had put over woven weed barrier have done outstandingly well: the 2 taller raised beds only did so-so. So, hopefully this week 4 more low raised beds will go in. A 5050 mixture of my clay soil and high carbon material seems to do best. If I cannot get free sawdust I will buy some.

I figure that with weed barrier below and weed barrier above, that no weeds will grow until I am ready to plant the beds.

I suspect that the current drought conditions will raise the price of beef, so I am defrosting the freezer today and I am starting to stock up on the meat sales. I bought 30 pounds of ground beef today at a pretty good price, and every Fall Price Chopper has a big meat sale. So f the price goes up we are covered, and if the price does NOT go up we would have eaten it anyways

Last edited by Terri; 07-29-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-29-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post
We have ice.

Testing showed that it was not the valve in the ice maker that I had thought it was, it was a valve further down the line. I did not have a youtube for THAT valve, and I did not even know what it was called, so my husband volunteered to do it for me last night. He is good at repairs but he hates fixing things, so I do the easier fixes myself. So, it is done and we now have ice.

My LOW raised beds that I had put over woven weed barrier have done outstandingly well: the 2 taller raised beds only did so-so. So, hopefully this week 4 more low raised beds will go in. A 5050 mixture of my clay soil and high carbon material seems to do best. If I cannot get free sawdust I will buy some.

I figure that with weed barrier below and weed barrier above, that no weeds will grow until I am ready to plant the beds.

I suspect that the current drought conditions will raise the price of beef, so I am defrosting the freezer today and I am starting to stock up on the meat sales. I bought 30 pounds of ground beef today at a pretty good price, and every Fall Price Chopper has a big meat sale. So f the price goes up we are covered, and if the price does NOT go up we would have eaten it anyways
Glad you got ice, Terri, and glad it was a cheap fix. We are having a wonderful summer after a very cold start. Our greenhouses look as good as they ever have, with cucumbers in abundance and tomatoes starting to roll. Salmon are running, and winter is coming.
Old 07-29-2018, 05:06 PM
Master Pontificator

80 degrees and sunny

yesterday was heavy rain off and on, stacked 2 cords of firewood, and started work on a shed to sell, then in the evening I split half a cord of poplar for my winter supply, and picked up a 3 cord wagon load of slabwood from the amish.

today I finished splitting the poplar, scythed down the overgrown vegetation in the yard (I really should buy a lawn mower), stacked the poplar, finished work on the shed, then traded a cordwood saw for 60 maple buckets (I bought the saw for $200 a few months ago, I never use it and just keep sticking to a sawbuck for groups of small poles and slabwood with a chainsaw, put it up for sale but offered to trade for maple buckets, so that's off my wish list, now I need a maple pan, thinking of using smaller buffet deep trays and a modified barrel stove for this spring, can't forsee getting anything better that quickly.

Don't salmon usually swim instead of run?
Old 07-29-2018, 06:54 PM

JELLY FOAM.........

Yesterday sweetie made jelly out of the berries we picked. She made a "Bramble Berry" jelly from juice she made of the 3 types berries. Processed them all through her stove top juice distiller. Made jelly. Yielded 5 pint and 2 smaller jars, plus a bowl with a bit of left over jelly plus the foam skimmed off the pot as it cooked. To me, the foam is just as good as the jam on toast.

A few small treasures at garage sales yesterday. Small tools. I hate going to one barn and then having to go to another barn to get tools. So I try to keep a minimum, basic tool assortment in each barn. Got a number of boxes, cans, jars of mixed fasteners. Nuts, bolts, nails, wood screws, sheet metal screws, deck and sheet rock screws. By the package that kind of thing new is much more expensive. Plenty of winter to spend sorting into individual pails by use.

Walmart grocery had the best bargains in this weeks newspaper adds. Fruit, veggies, sweet corn, and a big box of frozen burgers. Too hot to cook inside, so will grill some burgers, use the turkey fryer to boil veggies, corn and some eggs. Have buttered veggies, corn, burgers for a couple meals. Use boiled eggs and potatoes to make potato salad for a couple meals.

Yesterday forenoon was OK, afternoon and today is oppressively hot. At 28C going to a high of 30C the next few days this is hot for us far north busy rats. Luckily humidity is only about 20% Sometimes it is an effort to keep livestock watered and cool. Chickens, geese, donkey have ample shade, water and wading pools. Rabbits get gallon milk bottles filled with water and frozen to cool off by if they choose. Again, as struggle at times, but a short season of this type weather.

Down towards the lower mainland at the north end of the river canyon high today is to be near 40C (102F) South end of canyon where it spills out into the coast is cooler, but about 3-4 times the humidity.
All things are regional relative.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setanta View Post
80 degrees and sunny

yesterday was heavy rain off and on, stacked 2 cords of firewood, and started work on a shed to sell, then in the evening I split half a cord of poplar for my winter supply, and picked up a 3 cord wagon load of slabwood from the amish.

today I finished splitting the poplar, scythed down the overgrown vegetation in the yard (I really should buy a lawn mower), stacked the poplar, finished work on the shed, then traded a cordwood saw for 60 maple buckets (I bought the saw for $200 a few months ago, I never use it and just keep sticking to a sawbuck for groups of small poles and slabwood with a chainsaw, put it up for sale but offered to trade for maple buckets, so that's off my wish list, now I need a maple pan, thinking of using smaller buffet deep trays and a modified barrel stove for this spring, can't forsee getting anything better that quickly.

Don't salmon usually swim instead of run?
Yep, salmon swim, but a bunch of salmon of one type swimming is called a run. I know it was probably a joke, but just in case....
Old 07-30-2018, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Horton View Post
JELLY FOAM.........

Yesterday sweetie made jelly out of the berries we picked. She made a "Bramble Berry" jelly from juice she made of the 3 types berries. Processed them all through her stove top juice distiller. Made jelly. Yielded 5 pint and 2 smaller jars, plus a bowl with a bit of left over jelly plus the foam skimmed off the pot as it cooked. To me, the foam is just as good as the jam on toast.

A few small treasures at garage sales yesterday. Small tools. I hate going to one barn and then having to go to another barn to get tools. So I try to keep a minimum, basic tool assortment in each barn. Got a number of boxes, cans, jars of mixed fasteners. Nuts, bolts, nails, wood screws, sheet metal screws, deck and sheet rock screws. By the package that kind of thing new is much more expensive. Plenty of winter to spend sorting into individual pails by use.

Walmart grocery had the best bargains in this weeks newspaper adds. Fruit, veggies, sweet corn, and a big box of frozen burgers. Too hot to cook inside, so will grill some burgers, use the turkey fryer to boil veggies, corn and some eggs. Have buttered veggies, corn, burgers for a couple meals. Use boiled eggs and potatoes to make potato salad for a couple meals.

Yesterday forenoon was OK, afternoon and today is oppressively hot. At 28C going to a high of 30C the next few days this is hot for us far north busy rats. Luckily humidity is only about 20% Sometimes it is an effort to keep livestock watered and cool. Chickens, geese, donkey have ample shade, water and wading pools. Rabbits get gallon milk bottles filled with water and frozen to cool off by if they choose. Again, as struggle at times, but a short season of this type weather.

Down towards the lower mainland at the north end of the river canyon high today is to be near 40C (102F) South end of canyon where it spills out into the coast is cooler, but about 3-4 times the humidity.
All things are regional relative.
Tim, I like the foam as well. Sorry you aren't getting cooler. Maybe your turn is coming.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:43 PM

Oh, rats.

I was going to use the old timbers around some old flower beds to make raised beds in my vegetable garden. Alas, the trees that shaded out and killed the flowers have their ROOTS growing in and out of the old timbers. In essence, the timbers have been nailed the ground with roots.

Buying all of the pressure treated wood that I want will cost a lot. I have some weed trees I could use but they would rot in a couple of years. I will need to think on this for a bit.

Last edited by Terri; 07-30-2018 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post
Oh, rats.

I was going to use the old timbers around some old flower beds to make raised beds in my vegetable garden. Alas, the trees that shaded out and killed the flowers have their ROOTS growing in and out of the old timbers. In essence, the timbers have been nailed the ground with roots.

Buying all of the pressure treated wood that I want will cost a lot. I have some weed trees I could use but they would rot in a couple of years. I will need to think on this for a bit.
You could treat your own wood with zinc napthenate or copper napthenate. Soak your timbers with one of those and it will last much longer. Life will depend how well you soak the wood.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:49 AM

Yesterday was move the camper day, and I got lucky getting a spot close to the water in a nice small cove just off the main lake. The bank is nice and flat here so I'll be able to beach my boat right in front of the camper, and since the cove is small wind won't be a problem for a boat beached there. Best part is the move every month period is over, so I won't have to move the boat again until the 1st of November when all campers have to leave.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TXu5fAVe93n45YSz6
Old 07-31-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
Yesterday was move the camper day, and I got lucky getting a spot close to the water in a nice small cove just off the main lake. The bank is nice and flat here so I'll be able to beach my boat right in front of the camper, and since the cove is small wind won't be a problem for a boat beached there. Best part is the move every month period is over, so I won't have to move the boat again until the 1st of November when all campers have to leave.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TXu5fAVe93n45YSz6
Looks like you got a good spot until November! Enjoy the fishing.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:15 PM

Well the fishing is going to have to get a lot better, the last couple weeks it's been the pits.

Water temp was about mid 80s up to 90, then a cool spell has dropped water temps to 76, 77. The quick change seems to have messed up the fish because the bite has been off ever since the temp change. Normally you'd think upper 70s water temps would be better, but doesn't seem to be the case this time around.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:23 PM
Master Pontificator

sunny, 82 degrees

split and stacked wood from 5am to 8am, then ran out to see the amish and 2 friends, then I ran home, split more wood, hauled out a load of logs, loaded onto the trailer and hauled to the amish, set up rain gutters on the workshop, cut some fence posts, and a few other things, a slow day.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:10 AM

Somewhat cooler today. Only 20C instead of the 30-32C it has been for highs the last few days. Kind of eerie overcast. Mostly due to a grassland and a forest fire (separate fires) we seem to be downwind of.

MIL reports up the mountain behind them at a ranch there they ended up with 2 cement trucks run away down the mountain and overturned in a hay field there. Some project at the ranch. No details what caused the wreck, but fire crews were frantic to get there and make sure everything around all that was too wet to burn. No one hurt.

To town today with paid recycle items. Made $20 on that. Took in balance of recycle, got a couple grocery things, mail, a thrift store, library and home. Depending on thunderstorm forecast will load and make a garbage run tomorrow. We bought a full pallet (50 bags) of rabbit pellets, so have all that packaging to dispose of. Enough feed to last us until next year this time. A big expense, but the bulk price savings make it worth while.

Mowed a weedy patch in chicken paddock I hadn't got to yet. Chickens were all over the cuttings. Cleaned and adjusted the big chain saw. Spent a little time in the "redneck hot tub" to cool a bit. (two rubber 110 gallon stock tanks under a pop up gazebo)

Have an errand in town on Friday so that is when we will pick up wedding gift for young couple getting married Saturday. They have been together a couple years now, so already have a toaster and crock pot. Will get 2 coffee shop gift cards and a grocery store gift card. Wedding at his parents place down the river valley from us a couple klicks. Know there will be a bonfire afterwards and they all play one or more instruments. Will be an all night jam session and sing along. If I look it up and go over it a bit maybe I can do "Whiskey Before Breakfast" Duluth bluegrass version for them. Bonfire and music will keep the bears away hopefully.

First of August tomorrow, and I still have so much to do..... Where does the time go ??