BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 07-10-2018, 11:40 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default pellet gun

Got a squirrel problem and need to thin them out. Want to use a pellet gun as a long shot might be 100 feet, and don't want the noise and beyond target distance a ,22 long rifle will travel.

Don't know a thing about pellet guns so any advice would be welcomed. .22 or .17?? break barrel single shot or CO2 powered repeater?? good brands and what to stay away from. etc etc etc

Thanks, JVC
Old 07-11-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvcstone View Post
Got a squirrel problem and need to thin them out. Want to use a pellet gun as a long shot might be 100 feet, and don't want the noise and beyond target distance a ,22 long rifle will travel.

Don't know a thing about pellet guns so any advice would be welcomed. .22 or .17?? break barrel single shot or CO2 powered repeater?? good brands and what to stay away from. etc etc etc

Thanks, JVC
I use 22 shorts . In a 1935 Winchester model 67. Moms first anniversary present to dad. It’s very very quiet and has an effective range of 100 yards or so. Of course it is still dangerous at longer distances.

Last edited by MissouriFree; 07-11-2018 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvcstone View Post

Thanks, JVC
Both calibers will work.
The .22's hit harder but pellets cost more.
A .22 with it's lower velocity will also make less noise.

A good break barrel gun in either caliber will do what you want.
Look here for more information:

http://www.pyramydair.com

No matter what gun you choose, try lots of different pellet styles and brands.
You will find some that are very accurate and some that are worthless, but it's impossible to say what will work best in your particular gun until you try them.

You can buy sampler packs that help speed up the process.

This is what I have and it's pretty good on squirrels out to 40-50 yards:
http://usa.stoegerairguns.com/shop/guns/x10

I think a .22 caliber would work better, but my wife bought this as a present and it gets the job done. Mine has a wood stock though.
http://usa.stoegerairguns.com/shop/guns/x10

Last edited by Bearfootfarm; 07-12-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
I use 22 shorts . In a 1935 Winchester model 67. Moms first anniversary present to dad. Itís very very quiet and has an effective range of 100 yards or so. Of course it is still dangerous at longer distances.
So it's exactly to opposite of what he said he wanted.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:20 PM

SO---have been looking at Sportsman Guide site

Remington and Ruger are brands I'm familiar with, but know nothing about the quality of their air rifles. Also seeing quite a few Gamo brand like this for instance:

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...cope?a=1940686

and

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...cope?a=1940687

Maybe I just need to go down to the local walmart and see what they have.

JVC
Old 07-17-2018, 10:12 PM

We donít have much of a squirrel problem here, but earlier this year, a friend of ours that lives about 20 miles south of here took care of his squirrel problem with the .20 caliber (5mm) Sheridan ďBlue StreakĒ pellet rifle I loaned him. It only took him a couple of weeks, and after that he said he was going to go buy a pellet rifle like mine for himself.I donít know if he ever got around to buying one or not.
Anyway, itís been awhile since I shot my Sheridan Blue Streak across a chronograph (I actually did that once) so I canít remember the number of pumps per feet per second ratio Iím getting out of it. I can tell you this though: the 5mm pellets weigh 15 grains each, and 8 pumps + 1 pellet = 1 less current eating starling in the current bushes 30 yards from our back door.It doesnít make a lot of noise either.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:32 AM

At one time I had a Gamo Whisper. It was a fixed barrel, with a one throw cocking lever under the barrel. Also .177 caliber. It went to a young guy who could use it more than I at that time.

It was a great set up. Accurate, powerful enough, quiet enough, adult size that made it easier to use.

It was a bit heavy, and quite fussy to sight in the 3x9 scope that came with it. Once dialed in, it was quite lethal.

I'm thinking of getting another Gamo. This time in 22 caliber as I have never had one in 22. I'm thinking there will be a little more knock down power with the bigger pellet.