BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Auto/Truck/Other Transportation

Auto/Truck/Other Transportation If you use it to get from here to there, this is the place to talk about it and how to fix it.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Small cars

In an effort to further reduce my fuel usage I am looking for a small car to replace my truck. So far I have in narrowed down to three choices. Kia Rio, Ford Focus and Toyota Corona. Anyone had one of these or maybe currently have one that could tell me a little about them. Thanks in advance
Old 06-22-2008, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Small cars

gee - i haven't seen a corona for years and years - i have an 07 yaris hatch - great car - would buy another in a heartbeat -
optical illusion though - sit inside and note room for front and rear and get out and you can't believe it's the same car -
Old 06-22-2008, 09:05 PM

I drive 40 miles one way to my job 4 days a week so I had to do something different. Last year I traded in my Pick Up for a Ford Focus and I must say, even though I have NEVER owned a car, I liked this one.

Honestly I really like it. It has plenty of power, is very comfortable, feels bigger on the inside then it looks on the outside, and despite it having a 35 mpg gas rating I get 37 mpg, on back roads mind you with 87 octane. I really like that.

At the time, my snowmobile friends thought I was crazy, and really made fun of my "festiva" as they called it. They do not make fun of me now as they drive to the same town I do to work, and use their Chevy V-8 getting 12 mpg.

I recommend the Ford Focus whole heartily. A really nice car. (it even holds the baby just fine in the back seat with car seat and all) and did I mention the 37 mpg!!
Old 06-22-2008, 09:20 PM

Thanks guys. That was a great help. I have read some pretty nice reviews on the Toyota but can't seem to find much on the Ford. I have a friend that worked for Ford 20+ years and can get me a sweet deal under the Z plan. He said it would save me thousands. Both of these cars are suppose to be good choices so with your input I guess I just need to make up my mind. By the way. I was considering the Yaris as well.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:26 PM

My brother has an old Corona and an old Toyota P/U - he dropped the tranny on the P/U two years ago and put in a 4WD tranny. They run like scalded cats, and he swears you can't kill them. He regularly drives from the mountains of ID thru the snow and blizzards to CA where his children live. I have driven with him on little 1 lane country roads covered with ice, steep dropoffs on either side, and NO chains or even snow tires - and the Corona never fails to make it thru.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:22 PM

15000 miles - two winters and one summer, going into the second summer - the yaris is averaging about 44 mpg - i live in hill country and get on the interstate very seldom but must admit to driving like a myopic old lady -
Old 06-23-2008, 02:28 PM

I certainly don't want to discourage being more frugal with energy, but if you are doing so to save money, be sure to actually run the numbers.

For example, I have a 2000 GMC Sierra FS pickup. It gets maybe 15mpg.

I've taken excellent care of it and do all the repairs myself. I don't expect to need any major repair/maintenance for at least a year, if not two. The 4wd is often invaluable in the winter and the hauling and seating are also useful.

Now, I could go out and buy another used car that gets better mileage, but even at $5/gallon, considering how often I drive and the unlikelihood of finding a vehicle as well-maintained as mine, it just doesn't make economic sense right now.

A new car, with its multiple levels of expense (financing, depreciation, full insurance, taxes) is totally out of the financial question, even if it got 100mpg.

Everyone's situation is different, but don't make the mistake of looking only at mileage if you intend to save money. You can often save by doing nothing.

From an ecological standpoint, also consider that there are three major times a vehicle emits pollution. The first is in its manufacture, the second is during its operation and maintenance, and the third is when it is scrapped.

A used car has already made its manufacture emissions and has yet to make its scrap pollution, so you only have to worry about the pollution emitted by driving (and keeping it maintained properly is the best way to minimize this other than being less wasteful with driving).

A new car means a bunch of additional manufacturing emissions, and if you permanently retire your old, then there's the scrap emissions from it. You have to weigh whether the incremental savings from pollution on a new vehicle is really worth the emissions from the manufacture emissions of the new, and the potential scrap emissions of the old.

Just some food for thought...

Marxism: The ultimate illusory fantasy.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:43 PM
msta999

Bought a 2000 Ford Focus for my daughter, last year, with 116K. Been a real good car and gets around 35 mpg. I like it and even the wife said she doesn't mind driving. Sharp little car. What ever you get, if it is high mileage, make sure you change the coolant and timing belt, if it hasn't already been done. The coolant now a days will start to act like an acid and eat the aluminum and you may have head gasket problems. Timing belt should be replaced around 80K.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:31 PM

I bought a 2008 Hyundai Accent 3 door hatchback. They tell me it comes off the same line as the Kia Rio. It's a manual 5 speed and I get 38-40 mpg highway (60-65 mph) on 87 octane. I really like it so far. It's one of the lowest priced new cars available. I paid 10,500 plus license and tax.

I wouldn't buy an automatic transmission on this car though.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:35 PM

I'd go with a Hyundai. I just paid off my Accent a month ago. The thing is like an AK-47 it just keeps working. Of course Ive done the basic upkeep for the thing...
Old 07-01-2008, 10:15 AM

To the OP- are you outside of the states? I'm thinking the Corona you refer to is badged differently in the U.S.? Maybe the Corolla is similar? I drive a late 90's Subaru Impreza wagon that is a great little car. Mileage isn't excellent but in the high 20's with AWD it's pretty good and is a tank in the snow. The 2.2 motors will run for a very long time if maintained.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:40 AM

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. The more I look the harder it gets. I guess it is going to come down to driving a few. I have a freind that can get me a ford focus on the Z plan. It is something offered to retired employees. Pretty much cost and dealers hate it. Not too sure about a ford though. Anyway your help has been appreciated and I can at least base them on honest experences.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:36 AM

Please, no. Not a Focus.
Dealers call 'em a F@#kus for a reason. They are the worst engineered car currently on the market. They are a constant reminder of the old FORD - Fix Or Repair Daily - acronym. They cost the dealerships thousands to repair every month... and later, when they go off warranty, you.

My daughter, stepdaughter, and stepson-in-law all worked as mechanics for a Ford dealership; they also said that they were the worst cars to be in, in the event of a collision - they get good gas mileage because they are completely crushable, built to withstand nothing.

I like you madmac - too much to let you make that kind of mistake. Like in another forum topic - think value, not only price!

Our Toyotas - DH drives a 2001 Highlander, I drive a 2003 Tundra 6 cyl - get 25-29 mpg, run like scalded cats when necessary, and take hills and mud and snow with equanimity. All we have ever done is keep the fluids changed and filled, tires rotated, all the common upkeep and maintenance. Athough we live in a land of Ford and GMC pickups, our babies hold their own on the road - and do far better in gas mileage. Now that "American" car companies have switched to importing the cheaper engines from China and Japan, there is not much diff in where your vehicle is assembled... Toyota actually has very many plants here now where Americans work.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:56 AM

Your right about value for sure. I have been reading owner reviews and really looking at all my options and must say it is a tough, competitive market. The Ford really wasn't on my list. Just that the offer was made to get it for me really cheap. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Trespassing View Post
I bought a 2008 Hyundai Accent 3 door hatchback. They tell me it comes off the same line as the Kia Rio. It's a manual 5 speed and I get 38-40 mpg highway (60-65 mph) on 87 octane. I really like it so far. It's one of the lowest priced new cars available. I paid 10,500 plus license and tax.

I wouldn't buy an automatic transmission on this car though.
Wow, it's been a long time since I logged in to the forum. I'm glad to see it's still around. I thought I'd give an update to this post. I still drive the 2008 Accent to work most days. It currently has about 210,000 miles on it. The only major components replaced besides regular maintenance have been both front wheel bearings. I'd say it's been the best car for the money I've ever owned.

Kevin
No_Trespassing
Old 12-15-2018, 08:59 PM

We also went the small "grocery cart with motor" type cars for working commute for many years.

Sweetie used mini vans, I used other small Chrysler products, a K car wagon, an old Cordoba, and a couple Dodge Dakota 4 cyl, 5 speeds. To this day I miss the old Dakotas.

Of course we have had a "farm truck" of one size or another on hand because we did have the work for it. We still have a HD 3/4 ton, 4x4 pickup because of needs through out the year.

Young neighbors do the same type plan. They have used small Nissan and Hyunday products. Unfortunately, those two brands have not been good for long life, cheap operation or daily dependability.

The small Honda, Toyota, Ford, Dodge products seems the most economical over a long period of time.

I always got a chuckle out of the young to middle age guys with the big fancy, decked out "town trucks" that they complained about the cost, fuel they used, insurance, and up keep just to out do the next guys ego.

Small chuckle detail. The local RCMP detachment car marked "prisoner transport" is a Ford Escape.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:09 AM

Ford Escape?...Best laugh I've had in awhile. Thanx.