BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:31 PM
Master Pontificator

tell the guy that deer think of chainsaws as dinner bells. the deer are not disturbed by chainsaws, they actually follow the sounds and hang around close and wait for the logger to leave, then they gorge themselves on the left overs that they couldn't have reached on their own. hickory nuts, beech nuts, leaves, cedar floliage, apples, cherries, etc. part of my job as a forester was habitat management and the deer have adapted to chainsaws. on logging sites the deer would come out after we left for the day and in the morning the tops left over would be eaten bare and deer shit was covering the ground. some hunters up here use that as a lure, cut a few trees for firewood then wait for the deer to show up (technically baiting, but in a legal round about way). people who know nothing about wildlife habitats or nature think everything is disturbed when its really adapted to take advantage of our activity.

rain out here yesterday, was completely blindsided by it half way home with a hay wagon loaded in slabwood. the only meaningful drawback of no phone or internet is that I can't check the weather. was told by a friend yesterday morning that it was going to be sunny all week (went to collect $50 from him, I been running a few self serve firewood stands at friends houses where the stands are under video surveylance and won't have any thefts, I go out regularly to refill the stands and collect my share of the money).

I tried to recactivate my old flip phone but found out its no longer supported (waste of $27 on a phone card for it), the only phones I can find anywhere are now just those pocket computer idiotphones with very expensive plans, even among prepaids.

got more bad news as well, I found out through indirect sources that my relatives have found out I write for bwh and self reliance, so I must stop writing now in order to prevent them getting information on me (basically I have been tracked down and bothered/investigated by the cops several times when my relatives complained that I was "living off the grid". someone told me my mother mentioned to them that I was a writer, so I put 2 and 2 together, if i wasn't in amish country they might have tried to have me committed for living off the grid, my mother used to work for a mental hospital, and my sister works for social services in the next county over, doing so would give them a way to forcably take control of my finances and put me under their control again, i know they would do such things because they did it before, when i was 17 they knew i was going to leave and never talk to them again the minute i turned 18, but i had aspurgers so they used their knowledge of the mental higene system to get themselves in control of me financially, thus keeping me in a cycle of abuse and exploitation until i was 26 when i finally stripped that from them and was able to escape them, though i also have ptsd from all the abuse in adition to the aspurgers). I may resume writing in a few years with an alias or pen name but for now I am stopping the writing, which bums me out cause I enjoyed doing it. unfortnatly the same thing happens every time I get involved in anything (alumni associations, professional associations, volunteer groups, every time my name gets recognized with anything my family eventually find out and start combing that group for information on me then use it to harass me, they even showed up at work when I was a forester and the local cops had to escourt them out). that debt thing is a complicated issue from a legal perspective and there isn't much I can do about it. I can't even get them to use my legal name (social security card, drivers license and birth certificate, etc all say my name is Setanta, but the people holding that bs debt are more suborn and impossible to deal with than the entire federal government, plus they have violated a number of laws but I can't make any headway on it, despite seeing several lawyers about it, its a legal quagmire, a the time they had state authority to control my finances so even though they forged my signature they had a legal claim to be able to take loans out under my name, so i can't file it as identity theft). i'm not concerned with my bank info getting out since I don't do business with any, whatever money I have gets buried in the woods if I have enough to call savings, usually I spend it on farm improvements (like the $3000 I put into a well in the fall, or $2500 on a sawmill last spring, or $500 in feed for 6 month feed supplies). I make payment by buying prepaid debit cards (visa vanilla gift cards), make the payment then the card is useless, and I have to buy a new one each time. I also use them to order stuff online, and I have a few friends who help me cash checks 3rd party, except tax return type checks, those can't be done 3rd party and I just throw them out, perfering to lose that money than tolerate banksters (my mother once stole my bank info and stole $9000 cleaning out my accounts electronically, I went to the cops, but they didn't do anything since there was no way to prove I didn't give them the money, I had just enough left to pay the supreme court fees to have my name changed, first to have the last name changed but it cost nothing extra for the rest so I did that too, that was the last time I trusted banks, at the time i had already ended their access to control my finances, but they told the bank it was still valid and were given the new account info, since i closed all old ones and opened new ones to keep them out, the cops didn't get involved because my mother told them the paperwork she had was still valid even though it wasn't by that time).

my self reliant nature is because of being taken advantage of, abused and exploited for a large part of my life, just became bitter, stubborn and defiant. as a kid I slept on the floor, walked with a limp from infections in my feet caused by shoes 3 sizes too large, was denied glasses, wore winter clothing all the time to hide bruises, never knew when I would eat next, and spent many nights huddling outside in the cold to avoid being beaten. when i had appendicitis i kept asking to see a doctor but my father would punch me and tell me to shut up about the pain or he would make it hurt worse, a week later i was on the floor barely able to move and pissing blood, that's when i got to see a doctor and spent months in the hospital with complictions from a burst gangrene appendix. my parents milked any source of free money they could find and spent all their money and credit on trips to vegas or the Bahamas, I just learned to despise credit and focus on basics (stockpiles of food, fuel, and independent utilities). my college years were spent exploited and abused as well, didn't escape my relatives till i was 26, they hated that i escaped, last confrontation i was 27, been stalked and harassed by them since, which is why i keep no addresses or phone or anything official, when i can be found they show up (at work, or volunteer events, alumni events, etc, they ignore the cops when they are told to leave me alone since restaining orders are just pieces of paper).

i avoid thinking about my past, i just get angry when i do, usually i stay busy just as a way to distract myself from thinking about my past or to channel the anger into something productive.

Last edited by Setanta; 08-09-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:08 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I am sorry, Setanta. Your folks sound like true creeps
Old 08-10-2018, 10:38 AM

Setanta, hope things work out for you. Like they say, you can choose your friends but not your family.

It's been pretty typical August weather lately, hot and dry. I did mow yesterday, so if it doesn't rain for a while I probably won't have to do that in the near future.

Babysitting my granddaughter today. Or maybe since she's 9 years old, maybe I should just say watching. She usually is at a local YMCA summer program when school is out for the summer, but that program ended last week and school doesn't start until next week. So grandparents and friends are helping out this week keeping her occupied.

This morning we're going to take my boat up to the lake to get it ready for me to use tomorrow. I've been at the state lakes this past week and tomorrow I plan to fish the lake where my camper is located. Some areas around here have zebra mussels in the lakes, so at the private lake you have to wash off your boat with hot water before you can put it in the lake. They have a hot water wash system at the lake so I'll need to wash my boat off there. Thought I'd do it quick this morning and park it by the camper because I'll stay at the camper tonight. From there we're headed to the Bass Pro Shop.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:29 PM

There are only 3 (?) Bass Pro store in far eastern Canada. But Cabelas and Canadian Tire store with much sporting goods are close. WONDERFUL places to browse outdoor products.

Summer gun show this weekend. Not as big or as good as the spring show. Many people think it is a waste of time, but there are still bargains to be had if you take the time to look. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Sweeties Tupperware sniper called yesterday to say her order was in. When we went to go to town last evening to discover a layer of fly ash on the car sitting outside. Not good.

The last few day have been a bit milder temps. Likely the heavy overcast, but the very limited visibility from that and smoke has not been good. Pot Hole City is especially miserable being in the deep river valley.

Most any time of day when the sun does show through overcast it is blood red. Sun only visible for a couple minutes at most at any time.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:38 PM

Bass Pro purchased Cabelas, so it's all the same now, though it appears they are keeping them separate while sharing some products. The Cabelas here now carry the same boats as Bass Pro.

I've purchased a Lews fishing reel that was sold exclusively at Cabelas, but those have now been discontinued. Bass Pro has a reel sold exclusively at their store, I'm guessing it will now be sold at both.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:40 PM

It PAYS to ask the new guy!!!!!!!!!!!

Last time I was at the Home Depot I asked if the Landscape timbers were pressure-treated: I THOUGHT there was a very faint green tint but I really could not tell. The label did not say, but there was a faintest hint of green.... so I asked. "nope" was the statement of the 30-ish guy: "this is not pressure treated"

And, everything else was not only AT LEAST twice as expensive it was not as good for raised beds: 2" thick lumber is simply not comfortable to sit on and 4 ' wide pressure-treated lumber cost 4 times as much: far more than I could afford.

So, anyways, TODAY I was at Home Depot buying some PVC joints and I decided to ASK if they could order me in pressure treated landscape timbers, so I asked the one employee that was not with a customer. He looked to be perhaps 19 years old. "Let me ask", he said, as he phoned for his supervisor. WE ALREADY HAVE IT! was his reply: THIS is pressure treated: the green color on the outside boards have faded but it is pressure treated!

So now I can buy the wood that I need for a price that I can easily afford, and the beds will be wide enough to sit on comfortably. And, these are very straight, very good-looking landscape timbers that will make very handsome raised bed.s

It pays to ask the new guy: he is not afraid to ask when he does not know!
Old 08-12-2018, 03:40 PM

WOW..... JUST WOW.....

Bright blue sky, sunny, light breeze and cool this morning. Last night low temp about 8C. Frontal passage sometime last night so with wind in a different direction all nice.

MIL reports they are on the edge of being in danger again. Fire on the edge of last years fire area is capable of threatening them again from the back side of there lake. The far side of last years fire area has had more rain this summer so there is mud slides blocking highways and aftermath problems like that. Now this years fire. They are ready to evacuate if need be, we are ready for them with there livestock. I have extra water tanks and such in pastures where we can isolate livestock as needed.

With the dry, wasp of several kinds are rampant. In the lane between garden and chicken house I could see one buzzing along. Hands full and the little bugger drilled me right in the side of the neck. Emptied hands, swat at bee, went down my shirt and nailed me again on belly. Pulled shirt up and the SOB got away clean. Both spots itch like crazy, even with After Bite cream.

Off to local green house/nursery for fruit tree today. The 25 or so year old sour cherry tree near house gave up finely. Will cut and root it out later, but have another new hole ready now for something. Garden has yielded third picking of peas so far. More to come. Supper yummy. They seem to have really hit there stride. Onions and potatoes seem holding there own. Must resist and just leave them alone and wait it out to see how well they do.

Yesterdays garage sales were OK, but not great. Did get to talk to the dump truck guy. Have a load of driveway gravel ordered for next Wednesday. Want that down so when we do get a bit of rain it will pack.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:29 PM

57 F. and rainy this morning. The local streams are full to the banks and threaten to flood. Tim, sorry to hear that the MIL is in danger once again. We are nearing the end of our summer, I suspect, as temps are cooler and everything is wetter. Quite a few beetle-killed trees to take down. They will lead to terrible fire danger in the spring.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:18 PM

I am about to go outside and pick my 5th mixing bowl full of bunches of grapes. I am freezing the excess.

Most years we just have enough to eat fresh, but the weather has been VERY odd this year and so I have 5 times as many grapes as usual but the green beans failed entirely and I only got a handful of peas.

Every year is different! Next year I will try to grow "rattlesnake" green beans, which is supposed to be far more heat tolerant
Old 08-13-2018, 02:38 AM

Terri, I grew Rattlesnake beans in my greenhouse this year, and they seem to be great. I have not harvested them yet, but they are ready any day. I have harvested a few bush beans outside, but none in the greenhouse yet (pole beans). Beans outside are always an iffy crop here, so I always grow a few pole beans in the greenhouse in case the outside beans don't make it due to cold weather. Our peas are just now getting going in a big way.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:32 PM

Another day in the 90s, weatherman says that is 13 days in a row with above normal temps. But tomorrow it all changes, with some rain and cooler temps. Long run it says mid 80s which doesn't sound too bad. Could really use some rain.

South wind has also stopped all of Tim's smoke from coming down this way.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:49 PM

I was in Wal mart yesterday, and out of habit I checked the seed rack. They had bush beans that should be ripe in 50 days, so I bought a packet, soaked some overnight, and planted them this morning. They either will or will not bear before it freezes.

Today's lunch was both tasty and emotionally satisfying! I fried up some backyard okra and potatos, and for dessert I had some of my grapes and a slice of the banana bread my daughter made.

Tomorrow I will have a treatment, and they give me prednisone to go with it, and that means I have to go carbohydrate free until that prednisone is out of my system. It takes DAYS, so I am enjoying my food today while I still can! Meat bores me.

Oh, well. I only get 2 treatments a year.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:17 AM

NOT GOOD.... !!!..... Yesterday was back to smoke haze and bad smell. At day break today and all day it has been THICK haze with about quarter kilometer visibility. That is here in the bush. Pot Hole City down in the river valley is worse.

Also about a 3mm (1/8") fly ash on the car. Wipe it off with the wiper then you have to wash the windshield and run wipers to be able to see. Very similar to when Mt. St. Helen went off about 40 (?) years ago now. Out doing chores and by the time we got back to the house it was midnight dark with the yard light on. This was a little before 5 pm.... MIL is holding there own with there fire situation... So far...

Despite all this a busy time on the homestead. We got a 3 point snowblower tractor attachment. It is only 50" wide, practically new for a 2010 model. I cleaned, tightened, lubed, adjusted all that needed those actions. Hooked it up to the tractor and it runs fine. Even at that size it will be more than adequate for out needs.

To town today for errands, chick grower, mail, lunch, grill propane at Costco. Tomorrow we have a load of driveway gravel ordered. Have tractor ready to spread that were needed. Planted 3 fruit bushes. One Nanking Cherry, one Red Current, and another one. Not Hascup but similar name.

Thursday is senior day at the Exposition (fair) Maple flavored coffee, mini donuts, livestock barns, commercial building for the free stuff, ribbon craft building, senior craft building, fair food lunch, mini donuts again on the way out. You see a pattern... ?? I DO NOT go to the 4H barns.. There is always a showing and sale. FIRST kid that starts to cry over there animal..... So do I.....
Old 08-16-2018, 11:46 AM

Got a little rain last night, wasn't a lot but anything is good.

Started my fall wood cutting by taking down a dead tree before it had a chance to go the way it wanted to go. Got it all cut up, now just need to take the truck down and load it up.

Still have the logs from the big tree I hauled up last fall that need to be cut. Have to see about borrowing my son in law's saw for that. My saw just has a 16" bar while his has a 20" bar, and I'll need a bar that long for the logs by my house. I suppose it can be done with my saw, but I hate working from one side of the log, then having to go over to the other side to finish up because the bar isn't long enough to go through the whole log.

Thinking of buying a couple loads of hardwood for this winter. The stuff I can cut burns so fast, so I thought if I bought a couple loads I might go through a lot less wood. Next year I might have a shot to get in where there's quite a bit of dead elm, and that wood usually burns a lot better.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:22 PM

This entire week is supposed to be mild and overcast: I am taking advantage of this by planting Fall lettuce. This spring I discovered the secret of getting great lettuce was to use self-watering pots: they are easy to make and I now have lots of them.

Perhaps 2 weeks ago I harvested 1 medium sized melon from one of my 2 melon pants: today I harvest 3 small melons from the other one. I am pleased with the melons and they are open pollinated, so I will be saving seeds.

I will be planting fall broccoli as soon as the store gets the fall vegetables in, and my daughter and I made a frame of PVC pipe which I will cover with leftover netting. This will keep the cabbage butterflies off so that there will be no green worms.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:34 PM

I've been putting up the masonry façade to the house using the flagstone dug up in excavating the site. It's looking pretty good. Nice thing is you can't really make a mistake what with the irregular fit of the pieces-- and I have a seemingly endless supply of material

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88

Thinking of buying a couple loads of hardwood for this winter..

I put in a wood burner thinking that I'd have free fuel given my 10 ac woodlot, a lot of it already dead. But @ only $200 a cord, cut to length & already split and dumped in my drive ready for stacking, I bet I'd spend more on food to replenish myself after all the work of cutting my own, not to mention the time, the difficulty of negotiating my steep terrain. and wear & tea on my tools. I'm purchasing 4 cords again this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri
I am taking advantage of this by planting Fall lettuce...

I made a frame of PVC pipe which I will cover with leftover netting..

I think I jumped the gun and planted lettuce 2 wks ago-- no germination--probably too hot. I'll try it again in a week or two.

Next time, Terri- try Pex tubing for a low tunnel skeleton-- cheaper than PVC and no need for fittings-- just stick one end in the ground and arch to over ot stick the other end in.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Next time, Terri- try Pex tubing for a low tunnel skeleton-- cheaper than PVC and no need for fittings-- just stick one end in the ground and arch to over ot stick the other end in.
I did think about that, but I already had everything but the fittings. I just used scraps from a much earlier project. The great thing about having a garage instead of a car port is that you can keep all of the bits and pieces for future products. I had everything piled on a shelf and my husband found their presence to be very irritating: he is perfectly happy to have me make things out of them and move them out to the garden!

When I have made as many cages as I wish then the rest of the pvc pipe in the garage can be thrown out, and at the end of the gardening season the cages can be taken apart and stored in the shed where I keep the garden tools. I have decided to made several cages, so that I can freeze broccoli for the winter. I have done that a time or two in the past when I had a bumper crop, and since I will have more gardening space next year there is no reason not to. And, I would enjoy it.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post
…. at the end of the gardening season the cages can be taken apart and stored in the shed ... .
I used to do that with pvc when I lived in IL- had a high tunnel. I could put out tomato & pepper starts at the end of March instead of waiting 'til mid- May and I'd still get tomatoes ripening on the vine thru November.

But here in WI, 250 mi farther north, it always seems to be overcast in spring & fall and we don't get enough sun to heat up the tunnel until May anyways. Bummer.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:05 PM

Just got a call from MIL. Her cousin from west of all of us brought there saddle horse, trailer and such to there place. Fire in that area is treating to close highway down from cousins to the provincial highway and a section of provincial highway is in jeopardy of being closed for visibility problems all between the cousins, MIL and us. We still have reduced visibility with smoke, fly ash, and smell is worse the last couple days. Town has 3000 or so evacuees mostly from the reserve from that direction. They are gearing up for many more they predict.

Exposition yesterday was WONDERFUL fun. It was senior day, so only $2 at the gate. Senior activities, services exhibits were the days focus. Got my yearly supply of mini donuts and maple coffee. Saw all the machinery, crafts, 4H animals, crafts and such. They were judging the kids pet show when we stopped in. I had to leave. Got our years supply of free pens, pencils, key rings at the commercial exhibits building. It was all fun, but just about the limit of walking my knees can handle.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Horton View Post
Just got a call from MIL. Her cousin from west of all of us brought there saddle horse, trailer and such to there place. Fire in that area is treating to close highway down from cousins to the provincial highway and a section of provincial highway is in jeopardy of being closed for visibility problems all between the cousins, MIL and us. We still have reduced visibility with smoke, fly ash, and smell is worse the last couple days. Town has 3000 or so evacuees mostly from the reserve from that direction. They are gearing up for many more they predict.

Exposition yesterday was WONDERFUL fun. It was senior day, so only $2 at the gate. Senior activities, services exhibits were the days focus. Got my yearly supply of mini donuts and maple coffee. Saw all the machinery, crafts, 4H animals, crafts and such. They were judging the kids pet show when we stopped in. I had to leave. Got our years supply of free pens, pencils, key rings at the commercial exhibits building. It was all fun, but just about the limit of walking my knees can handle.
Our fair starts next week, and I will spend a few days there. When we had kids and livestock, it would be 2 weeks at the fair, but now my wife works with the produce judges and has her own farm/garden display every year, so that only amounts to 3 days there. I heard that all of BC is in a wildfire emergency--that is awful! I hope you can you and yours safe through the season. The old timers here always said the worst wildfire season was the one in September because those burned out don't have time to get housing before winter sets in. Prayers are with you, Tim. We are cool and rainy here, so I don't think we have a problem with fire, but folks are predicting an early winter, as leaves are already beginning to change and temps are in the 40s F. at night.