BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:53 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
But here in WI, 250 mi farther north, it always seems to be overcast in spring & fall and we don't get enough sun to heat up the tunnel until May anyways. Bummer.
Some years I have trouble with lack of light also. Spring weather in Eastern Kansas is a real gamble!

Since I have heard that landscape timbers no longer resist rotting as well as they used to, I have decided to stain them with a wood preservative. So, today I laid out the timbers on the grass to get them ready, and I also saved some seeds from 2 melons and lay them out to dry. I only kept the seeds that sank when I put them into a dish of water: I wanted the strong and heavy seeds and there were a LOT of seeds! This melon is not a hybrid so I hope for good results next year
Old 08-18-2018, 08:10 PM

It is possible that there are 60 days left in the growing season, but there might only be 30.

Today I bought a few Fall vegetables to plant, and potted up a few seeds as well. Not many: I have used most of the in the spring. IF* I get any good plants, I can transplant them into the home made greenhouse.

Anything in the greenhouse is summer's last gasp. After those plants die, winter come's in earnest.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:35 PM

Looks like rain is coming, and we can use it. Should start tomorrow and last through Monday with maybe 2" or 3" in some locations.

Now nice part is after the rain comes through it looks like temps will be in the 70s with overnight lows in the 50s. Definitely going to have to spend some time at the camper with temps like that.

Wish fishing was a little better, but it is that time of year when it gets tougher. The bass are harder to find, and lots of live competition for any lure you throw. That being said I was out this morning, found some smaller ones, and did manage to find one a little bigger. Maybe not big for down south, but in Nebraska anything over 20" is considered a pretty decent bass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqCRayRDXIk
Old 08-18-2018, 10:58 PM

Nice fish, Hunter. Down to 39 F. here this morning, so I guess summer is nearly over for us. We are harvesting, but are about two weeks behind last year due to a late spring.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:42 PM

Well the forecasted rain started this morning has hasn't stopped since. Light, then heavy, then light, and then heavy. From the looks of the radar it should keep it up for a while yet. Tonight and tomorrow look the same. With ears of corn and soybean pods filling out right now, a long slow rain like this should help them out quite a bit.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:33 PM

We are only getting a few drops of rain, but the cooler overcast weather is just what the Fal seeds and transplanted veggies need. Next week we are supposed to be back n the 90's
Old 08-20-2018, 11:42 AM

Well still raining hard this morning. I have one of those decorative back yard ponds, and it was down 4 or 5 inches before this started, but this morning it appears full. The pond does drain an area about half it's size around it so I don't think we got that much rain, but a bucket right outside the door near the pond has about 3 inches in it.

My fishing buddy left his flat bottom boat beached in front of my camper. It had some water in it after the last rain he didn't get out, so I told him he might want to take care of that before this rain started, but he didn't. This morning I'm getting some new tires put on my Jeep, and I told him I'd swing by after that to see if he needs help getting his boat out. I'm betting the back end has enough water in it, it may be underwater. I'm just not sure how deep it is back there and how far the boat would have gone down. Doesn't pay to put stuff off.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:05 PM

We are slowly putting the gardens to bed. We still have salmon in the back yard, and the moose haven't been seen for a couple days. There were gunshots a 2:30 AM the other night, so someone may have poached them. It could have been a stray bear too.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:49 PM

Looks like 3 inches of rain should about do me. Luckily the heavier rain was just off to the east a bit. Omaha itself got 6 inches of rain today, and counting last night it was over 8 inches.

Heading to the lake for fishing tomorrow, should be interesting to see what the water temp is now after all this cool rain.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
Looks like 3 inches of rain should about do me. Luckily the heavier rain was just off to the east a bit. Omaha itself got 6 inches of rain today, and counting last night it was over 8 inches.

Heading to the lake for fishing tomorrow, should be interesting to see what the water temp is now after all this cool rain.
LOTS of rain! Let us know how the fishing was with the high and "new" water when you return. It is raining here also, and we are supposed to get an inch or two tonight and tomorrow. Sadly, soon it will be snow and it may be measured in feet instead of inches. Hopefully, that will be a few weeks yet, but the leaves are changing and falling already....
Old 08-21-2018, 02:55 PM

Barometer is falling a bit from the high for the last few days. That means the smoke is rising a bit. Not gone, just higher. Still blood red sun rise and set. Overnight lows at about 5C, so steel barn roof and cars wet every day. Fly ash is practically welded to car windows and hard to remove.

Off yesterday to next town closer to fires for some errands. Airport there looked like a dragonfly convention of helicopters coming and going with water baskets attached doing fire fighting.

Today is take it easy day. Run Elvis the back porch washer. Have a full load of homemade bacon to run through the smoker today. Yummm

Envy the rains as pasture and lawn have been August dry since the last week of July. Garden is holding its own, but gets watered almost every night. Well is producing "late summer" water with a bit of a taste. Forecast for rain next weekend, but that has been set back every week for several weeks now.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:42 PM

We never got MUCH rain, but 3 days of cool and damp has gotten the garden off to a promising start. Half of the seeds are up, and the transplants really look very good!

My daughter is visiting for a while and she brought her 2 cats with her. Once they got over the shock, her cats and my cats are having a WHEE of a time! Alas, we have a bit of a flea problem in spite of treating the cats and the home, so I will give her some pills when she goes to make the fleas drop off. That way she will not bring fleas back to her apartment.

I harvested the last of the melons and served them up. One of the vines is still alive, and out of curiosity I am going to leave the vine alone. If it blooms again good: if it dies well it really has already done its job: it gave me 3 rather smallish melons. Each melon was right to serve with one dinner for the 3 of us.

I get a medical treatment once every 6 months, and it makes me sick for about a week. Well I finished the treatment a week ago, so today I am going through the kitchen and using up what the family did not eat. I turned 5 over ripe bananas and 6 eggs into 3 loaves of banana bread, and any leftover veggies will end up in a big salad.

I am behind on using eggs, as I did little cooking over the last week, so I am cooking up some of the eggs for deviled eggs for the family and perhaps 6 for the chickens. It will give the chickens a good protein boost for the end of the main laying season. I have noticed that the 16% layer pellets is not QUITE enough protein when the birds are laying well: I sometimes give them a bit of cat food but, since I have so many eggs, this time I will give them cooked and crushed eggs. The chicken love both and they will gobble them down.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Let us know how the fishing was with the high and "new" water when you return.
Not a lot of fish, but a few of decent size.

Water was up a little, but not much drains into this lake so it didn't go up a lot. The rain and cool north winds of 30 mph yesterday did drop the water temp from 78 to 71.

Last Saturday I found a plastic frog hanging from a tree. I couldn't figure out why someone wouldn't go get their frog since they had to be in a boat to have lost it in the tree where I found it. But then a month or so ago I found a lure stuck in a tree, and hanging from that lure was the entire fishing rod and reel. Again a person would have had to be in a boat to have lost it where I found it, yet didn't go get it.

First two bass I caught today were 19" long, 3 1/4 pounds and came on that frog I found hanging in the tree.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Not a lot of fish, but a few of decent size.

Water was up a little, but not much drains into this lake so it didn't go up a lot. The rain and cool north winds of 30 mph yesterday did drop the water temp from 78 to 71.

Last Saturday I found a plastic frog hanging from a tree. I couldn't figure out why someone wouldn't go get their frog since they had to be in a boat to have lost it in the tree where I found it. But then a month or so ago I found a lure stuck in a tree, and hanging from that lure was the entire fishing rod and reel. Again a person would have had to be in a boat to have lost it where I found it, yet didn't go get it.

First two bass I caught today were 19" long, 3 1/4 pounds and came on that frog I found hanging in the tree.
Good fishing! I guess some people have so much money it isn't worth retrieving a frog of even a rod and reel. Your salvaging paid off. I just passed my oldest fly reel down to my youngest son. It was my father's and must be at least 100 years old. The rod that went with it was a split bamboo in a velvet soft case, but my guardian sent it to a church rummage sale while I was in college. Thankfully, she missed the reel that can be passed to another generation.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:21 AM

Quote:
I guess some people have so much money it isn't worth retrieving a frog of even a rod and reel.
I got to thinking about the rod and reel today. I thought it might be possible it belonged to a kayak fisherman, most have their spare rods in the vertical position behind them. Today I wondered if someone in a kayak got close to that overhanging branch and the lure at the end of the rod tangled up in the tree, then as the kayak moved away the rod and reel just slipped off the back of the kayak, and hung in the tree. Only about 3' of the rod tip was above water. If the person didn't notice the rod was gone till much later, he'd have no idea where to look.

I gave the rod to the caretaker at the lake to see if someone came around missing a rod, but after a month or so no one said anything about losing a rod. I met the caretaker one day while he was fishing with his grandson, and we talked about it. He said I might as well take the rod, but I told him I didn't use a spinning reel, just baitcasting reels. I asked if his grandson used them and he said yes, so I said then give him the rod.

I'll try that frog again tomorrow, then I'll be off the lake for a while after tomorrow. I'm taking my boat in to get the carb cleaned on the motor. The float keeps sticking and the boat won't start. Sometimes you can tap the carb with a screwdriver and it will work, but not always so I only have the trolling motor. Then the foot control on the trolling motor acts up sometimes. Minn Kota said they'd send me a new one, but that would take 4 or 5 days.

So I decided to get it all done after fishing tomorrow morning. Figure I'll be without a boat for a week, which isn't long, but considering I sometimes fish 3 or 4 times a week, that's 3 or 4 fishing trips I won't make. Might have to pick up some minnows and fish off the dock.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:55 PM

Odd happenings today.

I've talked about the guy that owned the ground where we hunted, and him selling it to someone else who doesn't want us to hunt there.

Well yesterday the guy that sold the ground, he's 90, is now missing. He was last seen yesterday at 11 am, after going to a movie with his wife. This morning at 8 am they found his car on the ground he used to own down near the river.

This afternoon my son in law's dad, who is a county deputy, came by and borrowed his ranger to look down at the river. Seems the car is on the other side of the river, but they pinged his cell phone and it appeared to be on this side. He said they were bringing in about 40 guys to search on this side now. I told him if he needed help just let me know, after 12 years hunting down there, there isn't anyone that knows the lay of the land down there better then me.

The helicopter has been going around down that way off and on for the last hour or so.

On a side note when he was down there on the ranger they ran into the new landowner, and he said he didn't seem to happy to see them there. This is the guy that didn't want me to cut wood because it would scare the deer on his place, but was bringing in a bulldozer to make a food plot. He was told there would soon be about 40 guys down there searching.

My son in law's dad said, he's kind of an ass isn't he. I said yeah I think he is.

I hope they find the old owner, but he's been gone a long time now, and being near the river doesn't sound good to me.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Odd happenings today.

I've talked about the guy that owned the ground where we hunted, and him selling it to someone else who doesn't want us to hunt there.

Well yesterday the guy that sold the ground, he's 90, is now missing. He was last seen yesterday at 11 am, after going to a movie with his wife. This morning at 8 am they found his car on the ground he used to own down near the river.

This afternoon my son in law's dad, who is a county deputy, came by and borrowed his ranger to look down at the river. Seems the car is on the other side of the river, but they pinged his cell phone and it appeared to be on this side. He said they were bringing in about 40 guys to search on this side now. I told him if he needed help just let me know, after 12 years hunting down there, there isn't anyone that knows the lay of the land down there better then me.

The helicopter has been going around down that way off and on for the last hour or so.

On a side note when he was down there on the ranger they ran into the new landowner, and he said he didn't seem to happy to see them there. This is the guy that didn't want me to cut wood because it would scare the deer on his place, but was bringing in a bulldozer to make a food plot. He was told there would soon be about 40 guys down there searching.

My son in law's dad said, he's kind of an ass isn't he. I said yeah I think he is.

I hope they find the old owner, but he's been gone a long time now, and being near the river doesn't sound good to me.

I hope the best for the old guy, but it doesn't sound good. Is foul play suspected?
Old 08-22-2018, 11:46 PM

I don't think so. I saw him about a month ago and we talked for a bit. I asked him what he was doing and he said just getting everything in order and getting ready to die.

I didn't think too much about it then. He'd been getting things settled for a while now, selling some rental properties and his farm ground. He wanted to know where everything was going, saying his kids just cared about the money, so he wanted to make sure where the ground and other stuff went. Then when he was gone they could have the money, but he'd know things went where he wanted.

Looking back now, maybe he got bad news from the doctor and he was talking about something else. Not really sure. But I do know he hated having to be dependent on anyone, always doing things for himself. Maybe age was catching up to him, and he didn't like it.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:54 AM

Bad couple days with smoke haze and smell. No breeze so haze lying right down at ground level. Only about 50 meters visibility on the road. Only 100 meters across the small pasture to the lake. But you can't see the lake or the gate from the pasture to the lake. Yard light and motion lights came on as we were doing chores just before 5pm tonight. MIL reports same conditions in the valley by her lake.

To town early today for a couple errands and parts from the farm store. Driving was slow as mid winter slippery roads.

Another day of small projects around the farm. Cut alfalfa for rabbits. Cut some brush in the pasture fence. Have been catching mice again in several buildings. Got 5 new mouse traps ready to deploy as needed.

Got a half pickup load of wood rounds from the neighbor. They got a new satellite dish so needed to remove a couple trees to make it work well.

Hunter.. Unfortunately some people with health issues that won't improve and still in control of there thinking will have a plan. That being, them not being a burden to family, the indignity of dealing with the health system procedures etc. In a way it is a selfish thing on there part. But combination of pride, ego, arrogance and logic to them I don't understand justifies there actions to them. A reasonably simple explanation from the outside, but extremely complicated to deal with, defuse, and resolve.

Remember. I'm not a psychologist, but I did pay for ones education.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:03 AM

After a few nice cool days, it looks like we're headed back for the heat again. It's been nice having the AC off and the windows open, but low 90s this weekend will mean the AC is going back on.

They still haven't found the guy that is missing. Basically now they are just searching the river. One news station last night said they thought he may have gone down by the river to take pictures of the water, and got too close to the bank. I could see him doing that, so possibly that's what happened.

Here's a picture of he and I standing by one of our enclosed deer stands. I told him I was putting that stand there because he was getting too old to be climbing up in a tree stand. The picture is probably 6 or 7 years old, so he was 83 or 84 then.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/19g4ftSj3YD2iZcaA

Last edited by hunter88; 08-24-2018 at 11:08 AM.