BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 08-24-2018, 01:41 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

The days are shorter, now, and the chickens are starting to look scruffy. Soon the egg faucet will slow down, and then stop.

My dog is struggling because of the fleas: I keep him on flea stuff and vacuum frequently, but, the cats bring in more fleas from outside. The dog will be relieved when it frosts and the outside fleas die: he is SO allergic!

Early this spring I seeded tomatos and morning glories at a spot that would get a lot of water, but they never appeared to come up. Excepting that this morning I saw 2 bright red flowers: the plant is small but alive. I KNOW better than to plant morning glories as they are invasive, but I love them so. Best of all, the morning glory is inside the cold frame, so it will cheer me when I care for fall vegetables. This cool weather has made the seeds germinate: unless we get an early freeze I hope for a bountiful harvest.

And, today's breakfast of home-raised fried potato and a backyard egg was VERY good! As was last nights fried okra, fried potatos, and leftover meat. The meat was store bought: the rest was not. Dessert was home made cookies. I do love this homesteading bit!

Last edited by Terri; 08-24-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:18 PM

It is still cool and rainy here, but no frost or snow at this location yet. It was down into the 40s last night, so frost won't be too far away. All the earthquakes around the Pacific Rim are giving me the willies. We had one way out in the Aleutians, but nothing significant near the mainland. We don't want a big earthquake, especially in the early winter.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:22 AM

They found Chuck about 1 mile downstream from where they found his car. It appears he went into the water filled ditch and couldn't get out so he tried taking the ditch to the river looking for an easier spot to get up the bank.

https://fremonttribune.com/news/loca...=home-trending
Old 08-25-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
They found Chuck about 1 mile downstream from where they found his car. It appears he went into the water filled ditch and couldn't get out so he tried taking the ditch to the river looking for an easier spot to get up the bank.

https://fremonttribune.com/news/loca...=home-trending
Sorry to hear about your fiend, Hunter. Glad they found his body, though.
Old 08-25-2018, 03:59 PM

Just a sprinkle of rain at day break today. Enough to get the grass wet and the barn roof. Dog came back in damp. Forest fire haze not any better, but not any worse. Still not good. Forest fire news is slow progress at best, but no new threats or issues so far. Still about 3-4 thousand evacuees in town. It seems they are much better organized to take care of the people this year.

Apple season started with a vengeance so far. Sweetie put out her add for apples Wednesday and almost immediately we had 3 places to pick. Got 2 of them done so far. This seems to be the off year for apple production, and with the dry weather also taking a tole on fruit. Have the dehydrators set up in the garage and going like mad. Will set up the turkey fryer to boil crab apples to dehydrate into sauce rings all for the bunnies. The crab apple tree in our yard has gone crazy again this summer as Elvis the back porch washer has kept it well watered.

Daughter and granddaughter of friends by the river down from us brought Sweetie a big bag of wild plums from by the river. Sweetie is making and canning homemade sweet and hot Asian style sauce. I'm not allowed to help as I add too much hot pepper flakes.

Fall bear season is open or will open soon. Cheeky buggers have been more of a pest in some areas this season with the dry. Moose season is mid next month. We are told the salmon are further up river this year than usual. Licensed fishermen have a limit of 4 per day. Natives can catch all they want supposedly for subsistence use. That just means there are more boot leg fish being sold.

Hunter.. Sorry to hear about your friend. But glad he was found soon so there can be a start to closure.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:00 PM

We are starting on apples, too. Our little orchard supplies enough for us now that we don't have kids home any longer. We used to dry some for "kid Snacks" but we no longer do that. We no longer have rabbits, goats. sheep, or pigs either--just a few chickens. Rainy and cool here still, with a low of 44 F. this morning and a break in the rain today, but it is supposed to start again this evening. My wife is working on Fair displays and judging. We picked corn today (just a few ears) and a few carrots and such for supper. The moose are still hanging around but have caused us no trouble--we just have to be aware when we are outside. We anticipate having to put heat in the greenhouses soon, but no frost in this area yet. Low tunnels are back over the outside cucumbers, but the squash and pumpkin vines are too big to cover with the tunnels so they will get covered with sheets or harvested in the event of a hard frost. Our neighbor down the road has a commercial orchard and has a cider pressing party every fall. We haven't heard the date yet, but it will probably be in mid-September. We can press our own apples and fill in by purchasing a few if we need to do so.
Old 08-26-2018, 02:00 PM

In the late 70s I spent a few years in Arkansas and managed an apple orchard. I always enjoyed the fall and making cider. We started with just a small homemade press, and then moved up to a big commercial press. We went through hundreds of gallons of fresh cider each year, though I admit to drinking quite a bit of it myself.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:37 PM

With the thunder and rain yesterday and very early this morning we got about 1cm in the rain gauge. Thank you Lord. Rained about 4cm in town, in the river valley. Wed, Thur, Fri are to be rain off and on. Thick whip cream fog on the lake this morning as the sun was coming up.

To town for some appointments. On the way in 3 yearling otters crossed the road between a couple small lakes. They have a funny, playful rolling gait as they sort of romp across the road and tumble into the far ditch like a bunch of kids playing.

Got a few grocery things before the specials go off. Ask for and got a big bag of sweet corn husk for the bunnies. Went through it and salvaged 26 ears of corn good enough to eat. Most had the top 5cm of husk turned back. Appears that if the cob wasn't perfect clear to the end someone threw it in the husk bin. A little trimming and we got a meal of corn plus 6-7 one liter bags of cut from the cob corn in the freezer.

Also have another pork loin cut and marinading to make homemade bacon with the smoker.

I'm going to guess no matter how wonderful, too much delicious fresh cider will result in gastric discomfort that is not funny.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:49 AM

From the local paper, a little about my friend.

https://fremonttribune.com/news/area...home-top-story
Old 08-28-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Horton View Post
With the thunder and rain yesterday and very early this morning we got about 1cm in the rain gauge. Thank you Lord. Rained about 4cm in town, in the river valley. Wed, Thur, Fri are to be rain off and on. Thick whip cream fog on the lake this morning as the sun was coming up.

To town for some appointments. On the way in 3 yearling otters crossed the road between a couple small lakes. They have a funny, playful rolling gait as they sort of romp across the road and tumble into the far ditch like a bunch of kids playing.

Got a few grocery things before the specials go off. Ask for and got a big bag of sweet corn husk for the bunnies. Went through it and salvaged 26 ears of corn good enough to eat. Most had the top 5cm of husk turned back. Appears that if the cob wasn't perfect clear to the end someone threw it in the husk bin. A little trimming and we got a meal of corn plus 6-7 one liter bags of cut from the cob corn in the freezer.

Also have another pork loin cut and marinading to make homemade bacon with the smoker.

I'm going to guess no matter how wonderful, too much delicious fresh cider will result in gastric discomfort that is not funny.
Well, the rain should mitigate your fire danger a bit, and you made a good score on the corn husks. The cider MAY indeed cause dome discomfort if you drink too much of it, so it is best to let it ferment a bit so you can think about how much you should drink,
Old 08-28-2018, 09:27 PM

All RIGHTY!!!!

When I went to plant the Fall garden, I snaked out many packets of seeds that were to old to reliably come up, and I planted those that had 60 day maturity times. Some seeds were only 4 years old but many were much older. Well I do that every few years, and I heavily plant the seeds in pots to see if I get anything worth moving to the garden. I usually get several plants that way, because even if 99% of the seeds are dead that still leaves the odd live one.

So, I got the usual scattering of anonymous seedlings, and I also got 30 cucumber plants. 30 of them. Yep. And cucumbers do exceptionally well for me here: usually 6 cucumber plants not only give us all that we need, I usually have to give away 6 bagfulls. So 30 cucumber plants, if we do not get an early frost, should give me.........

Right. I would have enough cukes for a dozen families. Well, the food pantry will always take some.

That is assuming the cucumber beetles do not give them the wilt: wilt is BAD out here unless you grow the non-bitter kind of cucumber, and these elderly seeds were bought before I knew better than to grow the ordinary variety of cucumbers. I now send away for the cucumber varieties that the pests will not eat.

I have only grown the non-bitter cukes for years, now, which is why I am so successful.

So, if the frosts hold off and the beetles are not too bad then the Food Pantry will score many bag fulls of cucumbers. I will plant all of these seedings where the potatos once were, and what happens then will be up to the will of God.

.................................................. ..................

The sunspot activity is supposed to be very weak for the next few years. That means colder weather and bad storms. But, global warming Is also supposed to heat everything up.

Personally I think that the 2 activities will cancel each other out, and other than switching to more weather-resistant varieties of seeds I do believe that life will go on as usual. Therefor, along with my usual top crop bush beans, I will grow heat-resistant rattlesnake beans. We really LIKE fresh green beans, and the Topcrop survives the spring chill and the Rattlesnake beans survives the summer heat. At least ONE of those varieties should give us good beans next year!

This year we only got a single fistful of green beans, though I planted more so that we .might get a Fall crop. Maybe. Some years we get a frost in early September: other years not until November. It is a bit tricky to time these Fall crops. Well I had the seeds and they either will or will not yield
Old 08-29-2018, 06:33 AM

It sounds like you have things figured out, Terri. We are clear tonight, so we might get our first frost...but I sure hope not. We didn't light the fire in the greenhouse (big one) or turn on the heat in the new (small) one. My wife still has some picking to do for her Fair display, so we are praying the cold will stay away for at least another day.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:20 AM

Got my boat back and ready to hit the lake this morning to do some fishing.

Took it in to get the carb cleaned, it was thought the float was sticking. But when I picked it up yesterday he said it was just bad gas. I said I knew the boat had old gas in it when I bought it from them, but they had put treatment in and it ran so I used it, the boat has a built in tank so I couldn't just dump the gas tank out. I told him there was about 2/3 of a tank when I bought it and when it got down to less then 1/4 I filled the boat with premium gas hoping the old would mix with the new.

He showed me on another boat he was working on what the problem was, the old gas was thick and creamy. He said I didn't have to worry about any of that left in the carb, they flushed everything out good and put 5 gallons of new gas in the tank. I asked how much did I owe him and he said no charge. He said we should have taken all that old gas out before we sold you the boat.

He did say if I felt a little guilty a could drop off some Bud Light bottles. So later in the day while picking up some groceries I picked up a 20 pack and dropped it off to him.

And while the boat was in the shop I'd sent the foot control to the trolling motor back to Minn Kota. They were sending me a new one because the old one had control problems. All this new electronic stuff is nice, but it's also easier to have problems. The new foot control showed up yesterday, so everything is ready to go. We'll just hope the fish feel like they are also ready to go.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:47 PM

Doninalaska, do you usually get frosts this early? Because we are 62 this morning, and that is WAY cold for Kansas in August! We are supposed to have our hottest weather in August

Spring was late and short, then summer was too short and now we are getting signs of Fall when it should still be hot.

I suspect that winter will be a long, cold one.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post
Doninalaska, do you usually get frosts this early? Because we are 62 this morning, and that is WAY cold for Kansas in August! We are supposed to have our hottest weather in August

Spring was late and short, then summer was too short and now we are getting signs of Fall when it should still be hot.

I suspect that winter will be a long, cold one.
Terri, 15 years ago we got frosts this early, but in recent years our season has been longer. It was 34 F. this morning, so it didn't frost but was close. My wife is out picking as I write. We are babysitting the grandkids, so somebody has to be in the house. I think perhaps the brief period of global warming is over and things are going back to normal...or perhaps will get cooler than it has been for a while. I wonder what winter will bring.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:12 PM

Like said, this is a bit early for these temps. Lows here of 0 or 1C at night. No frost as the ground is warm enough. Day highs of 10-12C (range of 33-55F) Beautiful whip cream fog on the lake early mornings. Nice weather to pick and process apples in, and comfortable as we came into another batch of firewood to work up.

Grass wet with dew, but not enough moisture to do good. Open grass is wet of mornings, but undergrowth in bush is dry, dry. Leaves starting to turn but obviously the dry has stressed some areas more than others.

Salmon are still running farther up the river than usual. Not sure how long that will last. Fall bear season is open a week or more now. Moose another week till open. Cool weather has started the mice migration. Everyday I catch 1 to 4 or more in all the buildings as every building is storing livestock feed of one kind or another.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:46 AM

Well, the boat worked great, but the fish didn't cooperate. It is that time of year when fishing gets tough, just too much live bait swimming around the lake for them to take a lure.

We did pick up 4 smaller ones on the crank baits I paint, but that was it.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:32 PM

I think the drought is over here In Easter Kansas. We have gotten several solid rains over the last few day of 1/3 inch or greater.

This is great for the Fall garden, not so great for the wood that I wish to stain.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:13 AM

Looks like we're in for some rainy weather the next few days. Today looks dry, but starting tomorrow there will be at least a 50% chance of rain every day for the next 4 or 5 days. One local station has their computer models showing anywhere from 2 to 3" of rain, or the other 5 to 6" of rain.

I think this may be a good time to get some stuff ready for deer season, even though that is still 60 days away.

I plan to do my rifle deer hunt out of a small enclosed pop up blind. This way along with being hidden, I can use a small heater to help keep we warm, and have the ability to be a little more comfortable. I always felt that allowed you to stay in the blind longer.

So the other day I bought some pressure treated wood, 10' 2x6s and 10' treated deck boards, and then I cut them all down to 5'. It's about 75 yards from where I park the pickup to where I want my stand, so it will take me a few trips to get all the wood back to that spot.

I will build a platform that is 5' by 5' 3". It will just sit on the ground. Then come Oct I will take my pop up ground blind down and set it on the platform. I usually hold it down with screws in the corners so the wind doesn't blow it away. I'll eventually bring down a fold up chair and put the small heater in a plastic bucket and leave it there too. Come hunting season it is just me, my rifle, a thermos of coffee, and something to snack on while sitting there. It's a lot more comfortable then sitting in a tree stand braving all the elements.
Old 08-31-2018, 02:22 PM

Overcast, breezy, about 5C this morning. Would have been whip cream fog on the lake if not for the wind. Forecast for rain Sunday and Monday. Should have known that as a long weekend.

Busy day today in the bush. Going to haul some hay as I finely got that barn cleaned. We also have an appointment to pick apples in town this afternoon. Dinner in town and home to chores.

Sweetie and friend plan a garage sale assault Saturday. Not for the faint of heart as these girls do NOT give mercy.

Canada geese have been doing test flights from lake to lake lately in formations of 3-5-10 birds. Cranes must have left already as it has been too quiet on our lake.

Neighbor who has the old plane and small airport has a 13 meter, 42' high, tree stand on stilts. Multi level, stair case, the works. This is where he can see down the runway, and several cuts like spokes of a wheel used to skid timber from there. I told him to start throwing a sweaty T shirt in the stand occasionally so anything hanging around will get used to the smell.

SETANTA...... Dude, get ready to post. Tomorrow is the first of the new month.