BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Animals > Wild/Feral/Nuisance/Control

Wild/Feral/Nuisance/Control Please...no posts about Barney, Kermit, Miss Piggie, etc.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:22 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Corralled by moose

We have a cow moose with a very young calf wandering our property. My wife tried to walk the dog the afternoon (I was away on an errand) and was chased into the house by the moose. When I got home, she told me she was checking the gardens and greenhouses with John Deere as her constant companion. The moose generally don't bother us on the tractor. The lake in the backyard is full of salmon now, and I think the mama has brought her calf up to stay away from the bears that are probably downstream feeding on the fish. I intended to walk to the lower corner of the property this afternoon, but decided against it because of the "Moose on the Loose". I don't want to have to shoot the animal; I'd rather avoid it if I can.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:46 PM

Double trouble for sure..... Fish near by. Even if not that close to you, still an attractant from all directions. Moose with a late calf is a major bear attractant. As a kid I remember feeding livestock with the deer and elk in among the cows. You didn't move far from the tractor and hay wagon.

Article in yesterdays paper about a neighborhood on the edge of town where the conservation officers are concentrating efforts to get people to stop feeding bears. Warnings and advise has been repeatedly ignored for what ever reasons by these people and it is just a matter of time before there is another newspaper headline. They don't seem to get it. Luckily this is on the other side of the river and town from us.

My current issue is coyotes. No problems yet, knock on wood. But by the noise they are making they are ranging along the swamp above our lake just outside of our farthest big pasture. No neighbors, logging, or other things to discourage them from moving through the area and ending up where the lake is closest to the buildings. We have had a doe deer with a pair of late fawns around so there is a threat to them, and our dog, depending on the coyote movement.

When the pack lit up to howl last night I could pick out what seemed like 5-6 different voices in the chorus.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:06 AM

I'd start carrying either some "bear spray" or a garden sprayer, adjusted to spray a stream as far as possible and filled with Ammonia to use as a repellent/deterrent.

If possible, set up some electric fencing to keep them as far away as possible .

A single wire would be enough to discourage them.

And always carry a firearm to use as a last resort.
A Moose is a serious threat.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:51 PM

About 99 of 100 times pepper spray is used it is used incorrectly. Problem is for that to be the most effective the threat has to be well within most peoples comfort boundary. And about 99 out of 100 times it is amateurs using the spray. Under those circumstances it is less a repelant and more a seasoning it seems. Revert to the old joke about bear dung smelling like pepper.

An old bush couple a few kilometers farther out than us tell the story of the two young male cougars who happened to cross paths and used there front yard as an arena to see who was the toughest. After several minutes of get down and dirty fighting, the pine trees had scars up the trunks 2 meters high, the flower beds were torn up, lawn furniture scattered everywhere. And tufts of fur that floated on the winds for several days. She was in the house with the barking dogs, he was in the shed armed with a claw hammer. He said his under ware took at least 2 cycles to clean up. They had never seen a cougar on the place until that day. This was a couple summers ago now.