BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:53 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default August 2018

At least it has cooled off. The high today only to be 13C. Still predicting thunderstorms, but much later in the day. Still have rain predicted tomorrow, so hope it amounts to more than a sprinkle.

Let the dog out this morning and he lit up going bark, bark all up and down the yard. There was a red squirrel in the garage, but soon as I set traps it vacated. Well, if that is all it takes, what ever works.

Friday starts the long weekend of BC Day. Each province has one day I think. Another holiday to the long list banks and post office enjoy.

Saw a guy yesterday who said in the hot weather fish go deeper in the lake. Problem is a fine line between water temp they want and water at the bottom with depleted oxygen.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:00 PM
Master Pontificator

overcast, upper 70s

first month in a while that someone beat me to a thread for it, been very busy today. need to replace the distributor on one of my tractors and the other is a pain in the butt to drive in the woods because of the loader on it, been carrying stuff by hand since the trailer can't be used, just taking a lunch break now then i'm going out to build a wheelbarrow, all my old ones are broken.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:36 PM

After a couple of weeks of nice temps and decent humidity it appears we're heading back to normal summer conditions. Might try to get out to fish tomorrow evening since I left the boat at the lake. It's looks like storms starting Friday evening and I'd like to have the boat back inside, so might as well fish if I have to go get it.

Thought the batteries I use on my camper might be bad because I couldn't get the TV to work. Small stuff like a 12 volt fan work and some inside lights worked, but the TV would not turn on. I thought the batteries might be bad and couldn't handle the load of starting the TV. Stopped by my mechanic today and had him to a load test on both batteries. Turns out they were both good, so that's not the problem. TV is 55 watts and the inverter I'm using is a 140 watt inverter. I figured the TV would pull more then 55 watts at start up but thought the inverter could still handle it.

I think tomorrow I will pick up a larger inverter and see if that does the job. I suppose it is also possible the inverter I have is bad.

I'd like to spend more time at the camper over the next few months so I'd like to get things working better.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:04 PM
Master Pontificator

sunny, humid, 85 degrees

busy day, hauling a trailer of lumber home from the mill, then going back and hauling a wagon loaded with slab. gave away 6 bantam rooster chicks (half size) not big enough at full size to be worth eating, so any I can give away saves me the bother later. sat at my friends chainsaw shop for 4 hours to await a package delivery, was paid $40 for just sitting and waiting. picked up a pile of free lumber tarps to cover firewood with and found a couple sources of pallets, so I got more to stack wood on.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:02 PM
Master Pontificator

rain and sun off and on

stacked 6 cords of wood while it was dry.

unfortunately I won't be on here again for a while, my phone, which has been how I teather to the internet, was officially recorded as mine. while I don't care if the cops know it, I do have concerns that it can now be identified by my relatives, thus I have to purge it from existence and anything connected to it (emails, etc). going to be without phone or internet for the forseeable future.

basically I am in debt because my mother forged my signature on loan applications over a decade ago, I can't get out of the debt nor prove she did it so I am stuck paying. additionally they refuse to use my legal name. I had it changed a decade ago out of sheer hatred of the old one (being connected to my family, I was 27 last time I was punched around and treated like garbage, been effectively hiding for a decade despite continued harassment when they can find anything on me like a phone number). I made a payment this morning but they told me they started sending mail and stuff to my parents address (which I have had no connection with since the 90s and in fact have a restraining order against), they refuse to not send mail, and they refuse to use my name so the post master intercepts it and sends it back as a wrong address. its infuriating especially since I never took the loans in the first place, my mother signed them, and beat me if I tried to interfere, then took the money herself. in order to get them to stop temporarily I had to give them a phone number. thus the number is now recorded where my family can find it, thus it needs to be purged from existence.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:47 PM

That stinks. You might have a word with your bank or they might get into your bank account.

My new raised beds have been staked out and today I filled, seeded, and watered bit less than 2 linear feet. And the beds were only filled 4 " deep. I can do anything, just not for very long. So instead I peck away at things. At any rate I planted this strip solid to beets. There might or might not b enough time left in the summer for beet roots to swell but at the least I should get a fine crop of greens.

Little things add up: I have put in several raised beds over the past year, and the one that did the best was only 4" deep and it had weed barrier underneath it to prevent the Johnson grass from popping up. So, all of the new raised beds will use that design
Old 08-05-2018, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setanta View Post
rain and sun off and on

stacked 6 cords of wood while it was dry.

unfortunately I won't be on here again for a while, my phone, which has been how I teather to the internet, was officially recorded as mine. while I don't care if the cops know it, I do have concerns that it can now be identified by my relatives, thus I have to purge it from existence and anything connected to it (emails, etc). going to be without phone or internet for the forseeable future.

basically I am in debt because my mother forged my signature on loan applications over a decade ago, I can't get out of the debt nor prove she did it so I am stuck paying. additionally they refuse to use my legal name. I had it changed a decade ago out of sheer hatred of the old one (being connected to my family, I was 27 last time I was punched around and treated like garbage, been effectively hiding for a decade despite continued harassment when they can find anything on me like a phone number). I made a payment this morning but they told me they started sending mail and stuff to my parents address (which I have had no connection with since the 90s and in fact have a restraining order against), they refuse to not send mail, and they refuse to use my name so the post master intercepts it and sends it back as a wrong address. its infuriating especially since I never took the loans in the first place, my mother signed them, and beat me if I tried to interfere, then took the money herself. in order to get them to stop temporarily I had to give them a phone number. thus the number is now recorded where my family can find it, thus it needs to be purged from existence.
Boy, what a tough life! You may never see this, but I feel for you, Sentanta!!
Old 08-05-2018, 12:37 AM

Oh, yes.

It is highly illegal to send your bills to another party. AFTER you ask them why they are doing so, you might ask them how this can be changed so that they send the bills to you instead of to another party.

THEY need to deal with this. It is possible they will want you to send them a notarized letter about this, but THEY need to tell YOU how to help them solve this, and not the other way around. Otherwise you can get a hungry attorney that will take the case and be paid out of what a court awards you in damages.

Also, it is a common practice among lawyers to give a potential client a free 15 minute consultation, after which they will tell you where you stand. That way they know if they want to take this case or not, s you both benefit.

Just a thought I had.....

Last edited by Terri; 08-05-2018 at 01:22 AM.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:47 AM

Yep, I agree with Terri. People don't realize that attorneys don't cost much for an initial consult. If they will do this for you on a contingency basis, or pro bono, it won't cost you anything.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:13 PM

Setanta, sorry to hear about your situation. It's so sad when all someone wants is to be left alone, but that can't happen.

Since we're at August I thought it might be time to think about cutting firewood. The place where I'd hunted the last 10 or 12 years was sold and the new owner said no hunting, but at the time he did say I could cut wood, just not during deer season. Knowing the guy I wondered at the time if he was being honest with me. So a couple days ago I called to see if I could cut this month before hunting seasons start. He said, well I've gotten some pictures of a couple real big bucks and I'm not sure I want to disturb their pattern by wood cutting.

Now to get to this guys ground you have to drive through another guy's property, and that guy has given me permission to hunt and cut wood. He doesn't have nearly as much wooded ground, but there are still deer there and dead trees.

At the time the new owner purchased this ground, it's a couple hundred acres of woods on the east side of the river, while the 1000 acres of farm ground i on the other side of the river. I told him you do know you don't own to the gate that enters the woods, he didn't know that. I told him the first 200 yards belongs to the guy who's ground he has to drive through to get to his land.

Which brings us to him telling me on the phone he didn't want his big buck disturbed by me cutting wood. I tell him no problem, but there is a dead tree about 40 yards inside the gate not on his ground and I'm going to cut that down. He said, oh ok, well that would be ok because in a couple weeks I'm bringing in a dozer to go out in the middle of his place and take down some trees so he can build a big food plot. And he figured on the way out he was going to have the dozer level out the spot where this tree was so he could build a parking areas for cars when they hunt. He knew it was on the other guy's ground but he didn't think he'd mind.

So basically he lies to me telling me he didn't want to disturb his buck, and then 30 seconds later tells me he's going to have a dozer in there working. The man isn't real smart.

I have a call into the neighbor to let him know what's going to happen on his ground. Should be an interesting fall. Going to take the tractor down in a bit and cut that tree down.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:23 PM

Today I planted some potted bean plants into a spot where I had earlier raised potatos. These beans have a 65 day maturity date, and unless we get a very early freeze they should bear at least once before frost.

The pots that did the best had beans planted just an inch apart: the soil stuck to the roots better and I planted them in clumps. Next time I will do this on purpose and when I seed a larger container I will plant the bean seeds in small clumps instead of spacing some of them individually. When I plant them I will allow a few inches between clumps so that the plants are not too crowded to bear well.

In a bit I will water and plant some cabbage seeds next to the beans: they will not have time to head up but that is OK. Cabbage greens are great in stir fries, salads and cole slaw, IMHO. The cole slaw will be fluffier but the flavor will be the same.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:48 PM

I've been weather cheated.......
They predicted thunderstorms one day last week and 2 days of rain after. At high noon the thunderstorm day there was one boom of thunder then nothing. The next morning the steel barn roof was wet, but the bottom of the rain gauge was dry. Not fair. Extended forecast is all dry, but with only a few days of hot high temps, then mostly more seasonal highs with lows from 5C to 2C. A bit more urgency to get summer work done.

Yard and pastures are late August brown already with lack of rain. I've finished all the brush hog mowing needed this summer.

It was nice for the wedding yesterday. It was quite fearful as these are wonderful people but notorious for being great idea people, and poor follow through in organizing any kind of event. The ceremony was outside by the river. With lunch and reception in tents near by. I gave the young couple my best wedding advice, that being. If a person has to live in an institution, there are worse things than marriage.

Ceremony and lunch is all we stayed for as it was getting late and we still had livestock chores to do. They set up a good size generator for the band and dance floor as many play instruments. I'm sure many stayed quite late last night. All in all glad it turned out nice for the young couple.

Garden will be ready to pick peas again in a few days. Already have about 3 liter shelled peas in freezer. Wild berries look to be more ready now. Will pick what we can. Should be some more later. Apple season should be starting soon. Have the dehydrators set up in the garage to dry rabbit feed apple rings. Fruit trucks from the lower main land of the province are in town. Very expensive to buy from them. We may have to make our own fruit run to road side stands in that area. Much cheaper that way.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:55 PM

When I have a lot of peas to shell I dump the lot into boiling water for 60-120 SECONDS and then I dump them into ice water to stop the cooking process. The peas come right out without the tedious picking at the pods.

Ideally the pod has been softened but the peas are still very firm: I pinch the pod and the peas shoot out the ends. Mostly I boil the freshly picked peas before I shell them for 60 seconds but there are peas and then there are peas. Large pods of older peas take a bit longer
Old 08-05-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
Setanta, sorry to hear about your situation. It's so sad when all someone wants is to be left alone, but that can't happen.

Since we're at August I thought it might be time to think about cutting firewood. The place where I'd hunted the last 10 or 12 years was sold and the new owner said no hunting, but at the time he did say I could cut wood, just not during deer season. Knowing the guy I wondered at the time if he was being honest with me. So a couple days ago I called to see if I could cut this month before hunting seasons start. He said, well I've gotten some pictures of a couple real big bucks and I'm not sure I want to disturb their pattern by wood cutting.

Now to get to this guys ground you have to drive through another guy's property, and that guy has given me permission to hunt and cut wood. He doesn't have nearly as much wooded ground, but there are still deer there and dead trees.

At the time the new owner purchased this ground, it's a couple hundred acres of woods on the east side of the river, while the 1000 acres of farm ground i on the other side of the river. I told him you do know you don't own to the gate that enters the woods, he didn't know that. I told him the first 200 yards belongs to the guy who's ground he has to drive through to get to his land.

Which brings us to him telling me on the phone he didn't want his big buck disturbed by me cutting wood. I tell him no problem, but there is a dead tree about 40 yards inside the gate not on his ground and I'm going to cut that down. He said, oh ok, well that would be ok because in a couple weeks I'm bringing in a dozer to go out in the middle of his place and take down some trees so he can build a big food plot. And he figured on the way out he was going to have the dozer level out the spot where this tree was so he could build a parking areas for cars when they hunt. He knew it was on the other guy's ground but he didn't think he'd mind.

So basically he lies to me telling me he didn't want to disturb his buck, and then 30 seconds later tells me he's going to have a dozer in there working. The man isn't real smart.

I have a call into the neighbor to let him know what's going to happen on his ground. Should be an interesting fall. Going to take the tractor down in a bit and cut that tree down.
Just wondering...is the new guy from out-of-state? We frequently have rich guys come up here and buy big plots of land thinking they can cut off access.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post
When I have a lot of peas to shell I dump the lot into boiling water for 60-120 SECONDS and then I dump them into ice water to stop the cooking process. The peas come right out without the tedious picking at the pods.

Ideally the pod has been softened but the peas are still very firm: I pinch the pod and the peas shoot out the ends. Mostly I boil the freshly picked peas before I shell them for 60 seconds but there are peas and then there are peas. Large pods of older peas take a bit longer
Interesting trick, Terri. I have never heard of blanching the pea pods. Of course, I do that with broad beans, but I have never tried it with peas. I may give it a go.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Horton View Post
I've been weather cheated.......
They predicted thunderstorms one day last week and 2 days of rain after. At high noon the thunderstorm day there was one boom of thunder then nothing. The next morning the steel barn roof was wet, but the bottom of the rain gauge was dry. Not fair. Extended forecast is all dry, but with only a few days of hot high temps, then mostly more seasonal highs with lows from 5C to 2C. A bit more urgency to get summer work done.

Yard and pastures are late August brown already with lack of rain. I've finished all the brush hog mowing needed this summer.

It was nice for the wedding yesterday. It was quite fearful as these are wonderful people but notorious for being great idea people, and poor follow through in organizing any kind of event. The ceremony was outside by the river. With lunch and reception in tents near by. I gave the young couple my best wedding advice, that being. If a person has to live in an institution, there are worse things than marriage.

Ceremony and lunch is all we stayed for as it was getting late and we still had livestock chores to do. They set up a good size generator for the band and dance floor as many play instruments. I'm sure many stayed quite late last night. All in all glad it turned out nice for the young couple.

Garden will be ready to pick peas again in a few days. Already have about 3 liter shelled peas in freezer. Wild berries look to be more ready now. Will pick what we can. Should be some more later. Apple season should be starting soon. Have the dehydrators set up in the garage to dry rabbit feed apple rings. Fruit trucks from the lower main land of the province are in town. Very expensive to buy from them. We may have to make our own fruit run to road side stands in that area. Much cheaper that way.
Sorry you got "weather cheated", Tim. Our weather here has been ideal. We get enough rain to keep things going and the fire danger down, but still have nice sunny days. It appears that we may be on our way to the biggest tomato crop since living in Alaska. We'll see when it frosts. Raspberries are just starting in a big way, so that will keep us busy for a while.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Just wondering...is the new guy from out-of-state? We frequently have rich guys come up here and buy big plots of land thinking they can cut off access.
Actually the guy that bought the land is the guy that farmed the ground for the previous owner. He deer hunted on ground on the other side of the river. The land on this side I took care of for the previous owner. He always said I managed it for him. During that time the previous owner would have the new current owner call me if he wanted to come over to this side to hunt mushrooms each spring. I always told him he didn't need to call me, but it was nice to know who had been there if I'd seen tracks.

I don't have a problem with him not wanting me to deer hunt there. If the roles were reversed I might to the same thing. But the wood cutting is another matter, and being lied to about why he didn't want me to made it worse.

He needs to be a little careful when it comes to the neighbor, and his land. The only way he gets to this ground is to drive across the neighbor's land, and I know the neighbor was a little concerned with someone new now crossing his ground. He could shut off access anytime he wants. But I don't think this new owner is smart enough to understand he shouldn't tick him off.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:59 PM

53 F. and torrential rain this morning. We are under a flood watch until 9:30 AM tomorrow. I am on high ground, so very little danger to me, but the higher mountains are getting snow...an ominous sign!
Old 08-08-2018, 04:10 PM

Wind changed (frontal passage) and smoke from fires west of us has made it miserable the last few days. Smoke hanging in trees and over the lake looks like fog. At best half kilometer visibility here in the bush. Down in Pot Hole City it is half block visibility and much worse. Environment Canada putting out all kinds of air quality warnings and such. Weather frontal passage is likely why you got rain Doninalaska. Lucky you.

To town yesterday early. At the parts store when it opened. Got a post hole digger for the tractor first day of new sale flyer. Nursery bulk e-mails saying end of season sales, so will have to look into getting berry bushes now. Will start building moose protection cages to protect new plants for the wind breaks we want to plant in the big pasture. Going to concentrate on things like Pin Cherry, Saskatoon berry, and Honey Berry. All domestics of local wild varieties. Things that will multi task, wind break and fruit.

Sweetie has been busy cooking, canning rabbit meat. Making thing like Sheppard Pie for the freezer. Canned meat to go in things like soups, stew meals for the freezer. Also homemade "Tiger" sausage when other meats are ready. Will put another batch of homemade bacon on to marinade today. To the smoker in 10 days.

Grubbed out some stumps and leveled the ground in a couple places along the driveway where I push snow into. Old guy neighbor says wasp and bee nests are low down this year, meaning less snow coming. Hope he is right for the work involved, but need the moisture.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:19 PM

Sounds like you are getting ready for winter, Tim. We noticed that the wild bees were later coming out this year and seem to be smaller. I don't know what that means, but I would think it would correlate more with the PAST winter instead of the coming winter...I don't really know, though.