BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 09-12-2018, 12:21 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

The heat is going to make a return. Thought the AC days were done for this year, but some 90 degree days are coming so I may have to run the AC yet. Not sure if the east coast hurricane has the weather systems backed up for a while, and that's why we're going to have a string of hot days, but either way guess I can fish instead of worrying about firewood for a few more days.

My buddy and I fished on Monday and quality wise probably had one of our better days. In Nebraska a 4 to 5 pound bass is considered a pretty big bass, we don't get the bigger ones like they do down south. Well Monday our top five fish went 19.65 pounds, plus we had some more in the 2 1/2 to 3 pound range. Made for a fun day of fishing, and makes up for those days when you catch nothing but dinks. I should have the video up later today, I'll post a link to it here in case anyone is interested.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:08 PM

Dreary overcast, light breeze, and snow... You heard right, snow. Hourly forecast for today shows rain all day and night. Here in this bush it is snow. Not sticking to anything yet but unmistakable. Forecast for the next 10 days is temps of 7C to -5C for highs and lows.

BIL sent a picture of his area of northern Alberta with snow in the grass and wet highways. Tis the season here in the GWN......

Will get Elvis the back porch washing machine unhooked today. Give him a healthy shot of RV anti freeze and let him rest until next season. Next mission will be to get the cold room in basement ready to put potatoes and get them dug. Then finish cleaning up the garden and green house for end of season.

A couple days hauling books from family doing a home clean out of someone going to hospice. We have about 40 or so apple box size boxes crammed full of books of all kinds. Estimate another 15-20 boxes yet to come. Sweetie is back up to 10th or above in the world for registering books. She is routinely first in Canada. She is a happy woman.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:12 PM

So much for not thinking about firewood since it's hot again. My sister called and the tree people she hired were there today working on the big oak tree by the drive, taking off the branches. So I went down there after lunch and found they'd cut the big branches all up for me, some over 14" across. I did cut up some of the smaller stuff and filled the pickup. I need to go back Friday morning for another pickup load. So now I'll have two loads of oak in the barn. That will be a nice addition to the hardwood I bought, which is getting unloaded into my shed as I write this. After loading and unloading mine, and having to do it again Friday, this buying wood and watching someone else stack it is looking nicer and nicer.

If anyone is interested here is the video I shot the other day of our fishing. My buddy gets a little more excited about bigger fish then I do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIAhZDAaEpg
Old 09-14-2018, 12:06 PM

Hauled home load two of oak firewood yesterday. Found out they left some more wood behind a garage they were working around. So I still need to go down one more time. This time around all that is left is a couple piles of smaller branches that will need to be cut up into firewood lengths. I'm guessing there should be another 1/2 load or maybe a bit more. In the end I should have a pretty nice pile of oak in the wood shed.

Should be around 90 the next three or four days. There's been a front just off to the west for a few days now, but the hurricane on the east coast and stopped everything from moving so that front just sits out there. Looks like it should finally make it through by Tuesday of next week.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:00 PM

We are having warmer than usual days but night temps are about normal, so we are experiencing big swings in temps of over 40 degrees. Daytime temps are supposed to get near normal over the weekend with rain. We'll see. We cleaned out the big greenhouse, but the others are still going. Much of the sensitive stuff is out of the gardens, but the hardy veggies are still out. My wife is going strong processing all the stuff that has been brought in.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:55 AM

Default Captain Hall the Last Voyage

Cold, windy, spitting snow this morning light drizzle this afternoon.
Partly cloudy, high and low temps of 9C to -1C forecast the next 10 days.

MIL called late this afternoon to say she just got home from a service for an old guy retired and living across the lake from their place.

MIL knew Captain Hall when they were on a light house during the late 1950s/early 1960s. He was a master mariner and captain for many decades. He sailed the ship Northern Prince, an ocean capable, inter coast freight and passenger ship. It was built in the fashion of the long, slim, very maneuverable ships used to ply the Scandinavian fjords. It delivered mail, groceries, machinery, carried passengers, did many rescue missions, and ambulance runs on the inside passages to all the villages, canneries, and light houses on the coast during that time.

Sweetie knew him when he would stop at the light house when she was a kid. He always had fresh fruit of the season for all the kids at these places. He brought all the Christmas gifts as a favor to "Santa". Best history I can find of the ship he sailed there was that it was retired shortly after he retired. They pretty much both spent there whole careers on that water way.

MIL knew him and the family well in his retirement and would take books to him that she and Sweetie gathered. Books about the history of the vessels and water ways of the area.

MIL said she spoke at the service and afterward the family gave her the last chart he sailed with, I believe on his last port when he retired.

She called when we were out doing chores and broke down telling this. He was in his mid 90s and still quite sharp. I believe his passing was peaceful, I think at home. Will call MIL back when she has some recovery time.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:50 AM

Tim, we haven't had snow at this level yet, but it has been down around freezing every night for a while until last night, when it stayed in the 40s F. Our days have been warmer than usual and the nights about average. We did our cider pressing and the wife has brought in the stuff from the "big" greenhouse, and she made crabapple butter today as well as some tomato sauce. We used to can in quarts and half-gallons when all the children were home, but most is done in pints these days with only two of us. I think she made some salsa today as well and has been drying herbs. An acquaintance told her to try thyme pickles instead of dill, so I think she has some of those going as well. Yesterday we worked on leveling and elevating a salvaged building that has been on the property for years and not used much. I hope to turn it into additional garden storage. I also worked on sealing the roof of the equipment shed. We'll see if I got all the leaks when it rains tomorrow. I haven't brought in the batteries from the little machines yet either, as it hasn't yet been below zero F. The tractor battery stays in place with a battery blanket around it.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:13 PM

Ok guys, this is a little too early to be talking snow and freezing temps.

Well for some of us anyway.

92 yesterday, about 15 degrees above normal, but at least night time temps aren't bad so I can open a window at bedtime. There's been a south breeze, and I have a big window right over the headboard of my bed, so I can shut off the AC at night.

Fall starts at the end of the week, and if the weatherman is right, fall temps will start about the same time. So another few days of above normal temps, and then maybe we can get to some decent weather. It has been dry, so with the heat, breeze, and dry conditions the corn and soybeans have really dried fast. Bean fields that not that long ago where green, turned to yellow, then brown, and now they are just stems and pods with all leaves gone. At this rate it won't be long before the combines start up.

I'd heard propane was higher, $1.29, about 20 cents above normal for this time of year. We'd had so much rainy weather in the midwest I think many felt the dryers would be needed for properly dry the corn, so propane would be needed for that. But now with some dry weather it will be interesting to see if propane goes down.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:13 AM
Master Pontificator

This summer has been very wet here. I only had to water the garden a handful of times. Unfortunately, all this water has kept us mowing the grass and weeding even more than usual. And the garden hasn't been too happy either. I still have some peppers and carrots that are doing well. The green beans are about done so I think I'll just pull them this weekend. Looks like I'll be getting a pretty good second crop of raspberries in a few days. Picked a handful this morning.

I clean the chicken coop this morning as they were predicting the remenants of Florence to hit tomorrow but I looked out the window about 2 pm today and it was pouring! Glad I got the coop cleaned and the weeding done before it started.

After Florence clears out on Wed, it should be cooler and dry for a few days before we get more rain on Fri night with warmer temps and more humidity over the weekend. Guess maybe I should raise ducks instead of chickens!
Old 09-19-2018, 10:41 PM

Hard to keep up with the weather.

Yesterday morning I was fishing, almost no wind and before 9 am it was already too hot and humid. By 10:30 a stationary front moved far enough south a north wind came up and things cooled off.

Around 4 pm some thunderstorms started up. I had to close the north windows when it started to rain, but 20 minutes later the front was moving back north and had to close the south windows.

Overnight the front decided to go back south again so when I got up this morning expecting sun and another day in the 90s, instead it was foggy with a northeast cool breeze. Fished till noon with clouds and that NE breeze, but then the sun came out the wind turned to the south, and by 2 pm it was sunny and close to 90.

Sometime tomorrow that front should go back south and more storms. Low 90s tomorrow before the front, Friday 60s, and Saturday morning a low of 44 is forecast.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:15 PM
Master Pontificator

Enjoyed a cooler, dryer, sunny day yesterday and was expecting more of the same for today. Nope. Woke up to cooler weather but it's been overcast all day. But as long as it's cooler I don't care! Tomorrow is expected to be warmer and more humid before a cold front comes through Friday night. The weekend still looks good. I hope so as we need to mow or I'll have to bale the front lawn!

Lots of little things we need to catch up on and some not so little. My grooming room needs the roof replaced ASAP. We won't get to that this weekend but very soon.

Today I braided the last of this year's onions. I'll be doing a fairly big garden clean up this weekend. The chickens are tired of all the tomatoes I've been giving them as they have been starting to rot on the plant. Can't say I blame them.

In addition to lots of spiders and a few mice, I saw a completely black fuzzy caterpillar today. I guess winter will be what it will be, but we're almost ready, so no worries.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:41 PM

I have been gone a while, as my elderly father had surgery.

He is home and doing well, his older brother paid him a visit, and I got home to a wilted garden and a dirty house. Such is life: to he honest with you by the time I got packed it was looking rather cluttered anyways.

So, I set aside some overgrown okra pods for seeds next year, mowed a bit, cleaned a bit, and I am about HALF done: housework sure is easier if you do not fall behind!!!!!!!!!!!!

DH has taken next week off to do a project or two and tonight we are going out to eat, and life is good!
Old 09-23-2018, 11:39 PM

Only 5C for a high temp today and the next few. Late night showers also for the next few days. Breezy and cold.

Got a call this morning to pick up books. This was the third trip there and they say at least one more full trip, plus a last clean up. Our square box Honda has something like 120 cubic feet of cargo area. It has been chuck full 3 times now. Every room of the house has boxes of books.

MIL was up for a short trip. Besides other errands, the time she was here she and Sweetie sorted and boxed books to beat the band. The girls were like kids at Christmas going through boxes. Each holding up something and saying "look at this" MIL took something like a dozen or more boxes to her library and other book places.

Young neighbor couple called to say he is working a shut down (long days for several weeks) at the paper mill, so he will not be able to moose hunt this year. So he is getting a whole beef cut and wrapped. Asked if we wanted half.. Of course we do. Will have to juggle a bit to maximize freezer space when the time comes for that.

We have been digging potatoes of late. From the raised beds getting a two 12 L. buckets every other day. Sweetie has 13 L. canned so far, at least that much to can. And all the meals we have had from roughly half the patch so far. Mostly Yukon Gold, a few plants of reds. Good grazing.

Leaf color change is in full swing here in the bush. Starting to see some bare trees in places when wind gets them. Studded snow tires are out and ready to change when the first of the month comes. Tis the season.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:04 AM

Days are getting shorter, have to back up the normal meeting time to start fishing in the morning. Was 42 the other morning so it won't be long now before I have to start thinking of lighting the stove. My sister said she started her heat pump the other night when it was cold, I just threw on an extra blanket.

Youngest daughter said she wanted to go deer hunting to put some meat in the freezer. I told her I could shoot a doe quick for her and she could have the meat, but it seems she wants to give it a try herself. I hunt out of an enclosed ground blind that has room for two, so I told her we could set it up that way for a couple evening hunts.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:10 PM

Had thunder and hail yesterday. That is very rare here and unheard of this late in September. It never got out of th 40s F. here yesterday. I guess that was the big storm they were predicting for Sunday--they were off by a day. There are a couple trees down, but nothing on the driveway. We just saw another unusual thing--4 moose in a string. A large (but not legal here) bull moose followed by a cow, a young calf and a smaller bull all together. Usually at this time of year, the larger bull would drive off the calf and most certainly the young bull, but they were all together. I wonder what is up? Most everything is out of the garden, and we will be digging horseradish today.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:04 AM

My attempt at a Fall garden is working better than usual. I have some salad greens and the bush beans are blooming
Old 09-26-2018, 12:43 AM

Some heavy rain this morning, but things blew through rather quickly. Never did get very warm today with the clouds and rain, so now that it's clearing up it should get down to low 50s or upper 40s.

Might be a bit chilly out on the boat in the morning, but can't let a little cool weather stop the fishing.

Still painting some lures.

This one, Black and Chartreuse, has taken a few good fish.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9Zec8BXhZXowxiKh9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hgfNeveGZyHybhbY6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jqF7Yx8KYZqJPdSn6

This one Junebug, has also picked up a few, just not the big one yet.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/moGUwkVVc5mHWkNf7
Old 09-26-2018, 05:42 PM

26 F. here this morning, the coolest yet. Tim should be getting some wet weather followed by cooling if the pattern holds. Snow on the mountains but none down here so far. Remaining pumpkins (under cover) will be harvested today.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:34 PM

Sir Percy.

He is a Speckled Sussex rooster: a dual purpose chicken who's breed dates back to the Roman era. Practically speaking, he is a short solid chicken with (in this case) long curved spurs. Well they curved out a bit and it did not bother the hens any, so I just made a mental note to cut those spurs when I got around to it.

Mistake!

I went to let them out one morning and Sir Percy was hanging upside down from one long, curved spur! I have no idea how long he was hanging from the roost like that but when I let him down he could not move that leg or get up.

I was sure he was a goner but I let him rest with a dish of water while I went in to think on this a bit and to ask on a fairly lively poultry forum. Most people suggested a "wait and see" approach.

Well by the afternoon he was up on his good leg and moving the injured leg with ease, though he would not put weight on it.

That was 3 days ago and I am glad to say that Sir Percy is now limping around the run with the other chickens. He is not putting very much weight on that leg but he can use his strong leg to hop up whenever he wants to go into the hen house.

He is able to take care of himself, which is good. There is no guarantee that the leg does not have damage that isn't showing, but right now it looks like he will likely recover.

I never would have thought that a long spur would put a rooster at risk, but apparently this has happened to other roosters. Sir Percy now has SHORT spurs, of course!
Old 09-27-2018, 04:40 PM

About 3mm rain overnight, night before last. Cloudy, colder late yesterday afternoon. This morning sunny but colder. Whole 10 day forecast is somewhat a notch lower temps, highs and lows. Don.. The cooler you predicted came about the same time as yours I guess.

Yesterday Sweetie canned 16 pints of potatoes. Still have a dozen or so raised bed containers of potatoes to dig. Also have several containers of onions to pick also. About tennis ball size and really stout little rascals.

We are done processing raw apples. Now just to dry the cooked frozen pulp into rabbit treats. I cleaned up some things in the shop, made covers for some bulk feed storage tubs. Did some straitening up in one barn and a small shop. Made afternoon tea on the Hobo stove.

Tomorrow is one senior groups fall bake sale, garage sale. We have books ready for the book shelf at the Via Rail passenger train station. Saturday is a whirlwind of events. Mennonite church festival and garage sale. "Junk in the Trunk" parking lot sale open to anyone to reserve a space to sell. The farmers market will be down to near the last of the season, so there can be good bargains there if you are a careful shopper.