Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Plants > Farm/ Garden/Flowers/ Shrubs/ Trees

Farm/ Garden/Flowers/ Shrubs/ Trees If it grows in the soil, this is the forum.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:05 PM
Inactive Member

Default Fruit Trees In Oklahoma

I live 30 minutes east of Lawton Oklahoma and I would like to plant some apple, peach and pear trees. I am in zone 7a. I just don't know what varieties to plant or where to buy them at. I have seen some varieties of apple and peach that are supposed to grow good here but I have no idea where to get them at.

I can't stand wal-mart because I am sure they are just force fed their trees, whether or not they are good for our area or not. So I won't buy them there. I called a couple of nurseries around here and didn't get much help there either.

So I am looking to you all for some guidance on this subject.

Thanks
George

Old 10-21-2008, 11:08 AM
Master Pontificator

Default Re: Fruit Trees In Oklahoma

Hi George
Here's a reference I'd suggest you get
http://www.amazon.com/Southern-Livin...915&sr=1-2

It's published by the Sunset magazine people.

It has graphic maps of the entire Southern region of the United States and gives detailed descriptions of what grows well in each individual "climate zone". *Well worth the information it contains.

Walmart is only one source of trees in our area. *In early spring just about all the retailors carry some kinds of trees. *Do you have a K-Mart, Home Depot, Lowes, or Orchard store in your area? *By the way, don't worry about "Walmart trees". *The company Walmart doesn't itself grow any trees. *They just buy their trees from a commercial wholesale nursery like all the other stores.

Start to check your local stores about January or February. * You should be able to find many, many different varieties of trees being sold. *You may get your best results buying bare-root trees, and they're also generally the cheapest. *Trees in 5 gallon pots are OK, but be careful to free any roots that start to coil around the inside of the pot.

Be advised that many trees need cross-pollunation to bear fruit. *That means you need at least two different varieties (for example pairing up Granny Smith and Fuji apples). *Some companies sell trees with more than one variety grafted on a single rootstock. *Another option is planting two different trees in the same hole, allowing them to grow into each other. *

You can also buy bare-root trees mailorder. *Check out www.starkbros.com. *They might be a good one for your area. *The websites also include good information about cross-pollunation, and harvest dates.

Good luck with your trees,
Michael
Old 10-21-2008, 04:15 PM
Inactive Member

I use the OSU fact sheet as a reference then start my search on what I want. At least I know that the varieties listed on the fact sheet have already been tested for Oklahoma.

Link to Home Fruit Planting Guide: http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docush...LA-6222web.pdf

On Wal-mart: I have had lots of successes and a few failures from Wal-mart plants. If you shop when they first get their plants in you will probably have better luck. But that is not always the case. This June I caught their sale on the spring shrubs when everything was $1 - $2 and I bought over 20 plants. I only lost one plant in the summer heat.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:28 AM

I agree about OSU. They are a land grant school and therefore specialize in Agriculture and Home Economics. I am proud to be an alumni of that great school. ;D
Old 04-26-2010, 06:52 PM

Default Apple/Cedar Rust

You can't plant apple trees with miles of Cedar, I found out the hard way. I have cedars like at least at least a hundred if not more of those trees.

Planted apples a few years ago in an area not near any cedar. Well if you haven't seen cedar rust, it is ugly. Trees going way back has those ugly orange balls hanging all over the place. Ugly!!!!!!!!!! I have to cut down every apple tree.