Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Food > Recipes

Old 12-02-2007, 04:57 PM

Default deer burger recipes

Finally have some deer in the freezer. Does anyone have recipes using deer burger? I have some steaks marinating already and I am very excited about a stocked freezer!

Old 12-03-2007, 04:33 AM
Master Pontificator

Default Re: deer burger recipes

I've been looking over some recipes but mainly for smoking sausage, jerkey, and sticks. *This site has some great recipes for venison. *The key is to add some form of fat since venison doesn't have a bunch and what it does have, you are better off cutting away.

http://www.askthemeatman.com/deer.htm

Here is a direct link to burger recipe:
http://www.justgamerecipes.com/gam-veni0142.shtml

Tripper
Old 12-03-2007, 02:21 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I usually don't get much ground deer.....most of what would normally be ground up goes to make "country-fried" deer meat...which is my ALL time favorite way to fix it!!! Everything else usually goes to make corned venson, venison pastrami, canned venison, stew meat and some venison stock.
When I do get some ground venison my 3 favorite ways to fix it are, venison swedish meatballs, meatloaf or summer sausage.

I love to try new recipes...tried a couple with ground deer within the past few weeks....

My sister-in-law insisted I try a meatloaf recipe that's on allrecipes.com....
The only change I made was par-frying the bacon a bit before topping the meatloaf, oh, and the venison, of course ...
It's a good recipe...very similar to Grandma's

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Amish-Meatloaf/Detail.aspx

I tried Alton Brown's Swedish meatball recipe using venison and venison stock (no beef or pork), last week, it was VERY good!!!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._32087,00.html

Shepherd's pie made with venisin is also excellent!

~Martin
Old 12-06-2007, 07:51 AM

I use venison burger in any recipe where you'd use ground beef. For hamburgers, I add some ground or finely chopped bacon, adds some fat and a nice flavor. My favorite "ground meat" dish is burritos, so that's the most likely for me to use.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:00 PM
Inactive Member

I do not care for straight up ground venison. If you are the same try this formula: A-weight of venison meat B-25% of that weight in lean pork meat C- 12.5% in lean beef. So, if you have 20lbs of veniosn use 5lbs pork and 2.5 lbs beef. You will never have better ground venison using this mix. Also, since in came up, I have a DVD that some of you looking for new ways to use your venison might enjoy. Take a look at:huntdeercookvenison.com The star is yours truly
Old 12-27-2007, 08:01 PM

For just plain burgers try this. Add one third the weigh in ground pork so if you had 5 pounds of deer add 1.5 pounds of ground pork. Add salt and black pepper to taste and mix well. Mix until you start to get a coating of fat on your hands then you know you have it mixed well.

Now make into patties and cook either in a frying pan or on the grill like any burger. Wonderful!

I also love to make deer chili and do that with just ground deer but usually add some beef or pork. Try this for deer chili, 3 pounds of deer and a 1 pound tube of owens hot sausage then season as you do your personal chili.

I used to make sausage but it is a pain to stuff so now I just have a butcher make it up for me. For sausage I used the same amount of pork, stick with salt and pepper but then add coriander and sage to the mix. You can then smoke it or just use it as is. When I settle into my country home I will get a stuffer and go back to making my own sausage again.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:15 PM

Matt interesting site. I can't afford one of the videos right now but I'm putting it on my wish list can you get us a backwoodshome discount? Oh I'll also do you a favor and make it a clickable link here:
http://huntdeercookvenison.com/DVD.html
Old 12-31-2007, 02:39 PM
Inactive Member

Thanks Annabella- If any member of this web site is interested in the DVD, contact me at huntdeercookvenison@verizon.net and mention your part of this group and I will sell the DVD to you for $15 plus shipping. Thanks for your interest and kind words! Matt W
Old 01-13-2008, 11:56 PM

Things that you don't want to do with venison burger. I made the mistake of adding some old ground up pork pieces that got freezer burned and it made the venison taste funny weird. So make sure your pork is fresh.
Flatwater
Old 02-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Inactive Member

Venison Burritos -
http://homesteadingrecipes.blogspot....-burritos.html
Old 11-05-2008, 02:10 PM

I used to get straight deer burger and the only thing I could ever use it for was making jerky and slim jims. The last deer I got the burger mixed with pork and it made a huge difference. Chili & tacos and great with deer burger. Also, I highly recommend the following cookbooks:
Deer Burger Cookbook by Rick Black and Oh Deer! by Cheri Helregel available on Amazon.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:25 PM

Spagetti, chilli is great w/deer burger. Most processors around here have always used beef fat in the burger. Recently I tried some with pork fat and didn't like it as much. I have even asked for it w/no fat. Heck, all you need to do is brown it a little for chilli, etc.

For a burger I always put a tablespoon of Grey Poupon mustard per burger and man it is juicy and tasty. Just don't over cook deer meat or it will get dry. I could go on and on about cooking it. Grilled loin or backstrap is like fillet mignon even off an old buck. Wrap it in bacon and leave it rare in the middle what ever you do.

I sit in the deer stand and think of cubed steak in gravy with some grits and fig preserves w/biscuits! Next doe I see is going in the freezer. Whar's my gun.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:12 PM

My husband and oldest son are deer hunters and I can a lot of the venison, its my favorite way to preserve it. We do make some of it into ground buger also and the 2 main recipes I use are

Meatloaf
1 lb ground venison
1 lb spicy pork sausage
1 egg
(I never measure the filler-just dump it in until it looks right but if I had to guess.....)
1/2-3/4 cups bread crumbs or crushed saltine crackers
a good squirt ketchup
salt/pepper

Put into covered casserle dish and bake 350* for approx 35-40 min. Remove lid and bake approx 15-20 min more or until no longer pink in the middle.

a varition of this recipe is to use your crock pot and slice potatoes thinly into the bottom of the crock until it is about 1/2 full--add some chopped onion, (or onion powder) salt and pepper and garlic powder. Press the meatloaf mixture on top of the potatoes pressing it down firmly. Then cook on low 8 at least 8 hours.

The next recipe is for Venison sloppy Joes

I put 1 lb ground venison in my crock pot with about 1 cup water, salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Cook on low about 4-6 hours until completely cooked. Drain and place on paper towel lined plate and use an metal spatula to chop the meat up finely. (or you can brown it in a pan in the usual way)

Return meat to a clean crock pot and add:
1 10 oz can tomato soup
14 oz can tomato sauce
onion powder
garlic powder
salt
pepper
squirt mustard (to taste)
brown sugar (to taste)
a few generous squirts of your favorite BBQ sauce (to taste)

Return to crock pot on low and allow to simmer at least 4 hours. Usually I cook the meat in the crock pot one day and make the Sloppy Joes on the 2nd day.