Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Food

Food Food-related topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:40 AM

Default do you soak gamey meats?

Stuart (the half cow purchased for the freezer last year) came with enough liver to last me a lifetime. My mom said soaking the liver in baking soda water will take away the "gamey" taste. I've also heard that soaking in salt water or milk does the same thing.

Any of these tried and true?

path

Old 10-13-2008, 09:41 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Re: do you soak gamey meats?

I've heard of people using salt water or milk, I hadn't heard about the baking soda.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:50 PM

Thanks MNMOM for the input. I'm thinking I'll try a batch each way. I'll try to remember to post if there is a noticeable difference.

path
Old 11-10-2008, 01:35 AM

I use salt water soak on my deer meat before stocking in freezer for storage. It does take a lot of the gamey taste out in my opinion. It Seems it freezes longer in better shape that way a well..but really hadnt tesed that theory just an observation I think I have noticed.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:30 PM

I've let my deer meat soak in ice water for a bit before I finish processing it before & it seems to help.
I've heard about using milk before but in the case I've heard it was used to soak or marinate the meat before cooking.
I've not heard about the salt water method.
I've got some deer meat soaking in my ice chest tonight & I'll finish processing it tomorrow - I notice it helps get some of the blood out - I don't really know about it taking any of the gamey taste out though.
I generally marinate my deer meat in Italian dressing overnight to cut the gamey taste.

Tnonk
Old 11-21-2008, 01:40 AM

I have never heard of a cow having a gamy taste but liver always taste bad to me untill I tried some that was soaked in katchup and vinagar. I actually was able to get the first bite all the way down as apposed to half way down before it comes back up. Liver is the gift that keeps on giving.
Flatwater
Old 11-22-2008, 06:02 PM

Hi
When we first moved, and my DH got his first deer. DH & a friend cleaned & cut up in lg sections. An Old timer told me to soak 24 hours in salt ice water changing a few times. Then during processing to get all the marble off *( time comsuming but no gamey tast at all)
Sissy
Old 03-07-2009, 08:57 PM

The "gamey" is mostly the blood. Soak, rinse and repeat several times. Wild geese and ducks need three days worth. Red meats usually one day (overnite).
Old 03-11-2009, 12:27 PM

Well i was taught by my father who was taught by his who was taught by his etc....for generations, that any freshly killed game should be drained immediately in the field by cutting the juglar, field dress it, take it home and skin it then wash it down with salt water thoroughly inside and out. Here you have the option to let it hang for a week or more, washing it daily with salt water, or butcher it immediately. We always butuchered it the next day. All meat was cut up by my dad, hauled in on trays by me and promptly placed in the kitchen sinks that had been sterilized, in cold salt water and left to set until the meat turned pale. About an hour. Taken out, dried, wrapped and the next batch went into fresh salt water. Sinks are sterilized after each batch.
When the meat had been suffeciently frozen for atleast 4 days we used it. Course dad liked his hunk a deer salt and peppered and fried in a skillit with onions. eww.
The rest of us like it marinated starting the day before we used it. One marinade was italian dressing and sour cream. One was Beer ofcourse. I never liked that one. And my favorite was my old stand by brine I soak my turkeys in before thanksgiving, cold water, and equal amounts of salt and brown sugar. Must be strong to the taste. This tended to make the deer mild in flavor and put moisture in it. I could never stand the dry texture to deer meat.
As far as cows liver went, We sliced it up about 1inch thick, soaked it in milk for a day and a night. Then poured out the milk to the chickens and threw out the liver to the dogs....ahhahahahaa! Best way to use cows liver in my opinion.
Want a good liver? go for rabbit liver, super mild in taste and one makes a serving per person.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:07 PM
Inactive Member

I like liver....especially beef liver, but I never really had a "gamey" taste to it. But, then I like the taste of liver. I like to flour it and fry it in the skillet with just a littles grease. Then when the liver comes out, I make cream gravy with what's left in the skillet.........mmmmmmmm

As far as deer goes, I field dress, and I cut the meat right off the bone and wrap it in the hide and carry it to the house.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:06 PM
Master Pontificator

I soak deer in evaporated milk before cooking it. It tastes just like beef when cooked.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:16 PM

We soak most of our game meat overnight in buttermilk.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:46 PM
Inactive Member

I don't get it. I don't want my venison tasting like beef. LOL I like venison.... I just don't take a big buck. I always take does or young button bucks and then you get the venison flavor without the rankness.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:42 PM

We don't eat liver because I just doubt its health value. I read too much Mercola to feel safe eating liver. *It makes great fish bait though! *

But as for other gamey meats, I soak them in salt water. My dad always butchered as quickly as possible rather than hanging meat (he cooled it with ice to butcher), then immediately soaked out all the blood possible from the cuts in salt brine. It's just something I learned from him. I have never tried baking soda, but I do know kosher salt brine helps remove the "bloody" taste of game. It also works to help remove the "fishy" taste of some fish.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:25 PM
Inactive Member

I don't hang my meats either. I field dress everything.... I think it affects the flavor. But, dang! I love my beef and chicken livers! LOL
Old 05-18-2009, 11:13 AM
Inactive Member

I'm with PaulNKS. I don't 'get' all the special rituals people go through to remove the nautral flavor of things. My husband is active duty army and he has filled our freezer with game from many a state (CO, GA, KS, IL, MI...) and with no special soakings or dances we simply process the game. And while his mother claims to hate game of all shape and size she always loved everything I cooked! She really believed I was trying to trick her, nope! just good ol' fashioned meat the way God raised it - delicious. I've never noticed the reported 'gamey' taste so many people talk about???
Old 05-18-2009, 02:55 PM

maybe I don't understand gamey. Long time ago we bought some pork for boiling and it must have been from a boar, it was not edible. rankest taste. I also do not like mutton from a buck.
On the liver I am with Paul. depending on the recipie I do soak meat, like for Sauerbraten. usually the tough peices as that makes them tender besides being tasty. With venison I like to add red wine and juniper berries. but that is not to get rid of gamy taste but part of the recipe. I do recall mother soaking wild rabbit in buttermilk, I always learned it makes the meat "mild and tender".