BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Energy > Hydro/Wind/Wood/Geothermal

Hydro/Wind/Wood/Geothermal And other types of alternative energy

Old 05-11-2008, 10:36 PM

Default Pellet stove suggestions?

Just bought a house in an Rural area. I heat with Oil. Id like to kick over to a pellet stove for the main source of heating. My house is about 1200 square feet, an old barn. Could someone point me out to a good range/brand of pellet stoves. I googled pellet stoves but didnt find what I was looking for.

-Mr.B
Old 05-19-2008, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Pellet stove suggestions?

unfortunately I can not think of any specific brands at the moment. My grandpa put one in his old farm house a couple years back (little bigger than what you have ) and it keeps the place nice and toasty. I think his can burn either pellets or corn. Next time I see him I'll try to remember to ask him what brand it is. I know he got his through a local dealer though.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:15 PM
wy0mn

I've never dealt with a pellet stove in any way, but one of my co-workers has one.
He told me that pellet prices are climbing like everything else AND that the auger & blower require AC power to run it. If the power goes out and you don't have a genny or battery bank... big cold house.
Heres a few to look at, just to give you some ideas:
http://sutherlands.com/products/view...y.php?subcat=4
Old 05-19-2008, 09:55 PM
Master Pontificator

I used to have one..A Whitfield. I had a lot of problems with it, finally took it out and replaced it with a wood stove. Whitfield is supposed to be a good brand. the two repairman that I dealt with said it was rare to have problems with them. I have friends who have a Quadrafire and love them. Around here pellet stoves run around 1500 to 2000 dollars. Pellets are going up in price. But they are nice to have if you don't have the problems I did.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:07 PM

Yup I know about the battery problem with wood stoves. Ive been looking on ebay allot for used pellet stoves. Thanks for the info!
Old 06-13-2008, 04:26 AM
Inactive Member

I would suggest looking at Quadrafire brand pellet stoves. I believe they are located in Washington State. I have had one for the last 2 years and have had no problems with it. So far I've run about 5 tons of wood pellets through it. When I bought it I investigated several brands but consistently heard from multiple dealers that the Quadrafire was one of the best products around.

The model I have is the Santa Fe (http://www.quadrafire.com/Products/P...asp?f=santa-fe). One of the things I liked about Quadrafire is that they support both wood and wood/corn combinations (not all pellet stoves will burn corn). Last year in our area (Oregon) one of the pellet manufacturers had a fire and wood pellets were very hard to come by (dealers were limiting people to 5 bags, if they had anything in stock at all). I ended up down at the feed store and bought shelled corn and mixed it 50/50 with some existing pellets that I had. Got me through a month that I would otherwise have had to shut it down.

While this doesn't really address your question, I thought I'd share what has worked well for me. As one of the previous posts mentioned the price of pellets has gone up significantly in the last few years (from $110 per ton in my area 2 years ago to about $215 now). I actually run both a wood stove and a pellet stove in our house (about 1400 sq feet on 2 levels). I fire up the wood stove and keep it running low all day to provide about 80% of the heat. But since the pellet stove is on a thermostat it covers the other 20% (and on a timed thermostat it also kicks on before I get up and takes care of the morning chill before the wood stove gets going). The result is that the wood stove (which is much cheaper to run since I cut my own wood, though even if I bought it in my area cord wood is still cheaper per btu than pellets) heats the bulk of the house but the pellet stove takes care of keeping the temp consistent. Without the pellet stove I'd either have to watch the fire carefully to keep the heat output consistent or the house temp would fluctuate as the fire increased and then burned down. And without the wood stove my cost for pellets would be very high if it was the only source of heat.

I mention this because when I initially installed the wood and pellet stove I didn't appreciate how well they complimented each other. I think if I had only 1 or the other I would not be completely satisfied with the results, but the combination really compliment each other.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your purchase!

Brad
Old 06-13-2008, 11:17 AM
JAK

The combination of pellet stove and wood stove sounds very good. I would like a conventional wood stove and a pellet fired hot water heater. Does anyone make one of those?

Other thing of course is insulating and weather proofing. Not just to reduce energy costs, but also the cost of your heating system, and just to be physically able to keep up in January. If you can get your heat and hot water requirements down to 5 tons or less of biofuel then I think you are doing well. Modest sized house at 1200 sqft an excellent start.

Are there pellet fired water heaters?
Old 06-13-2008, 11:44 AM
JAK

I found some, but they are rather large, so its a go big or stay home proposition I think.

http://www.ecobusinesslinks.com/wood...et-boilers.htm

What I had in mind was a pellet fired domestic water heater in winter, combined with solar hot water heater in summer. Regular wood stove for space heat, combined with passive solar for the shoulder seasons. Thing is, they don't make pellet fired domestic water heaters small enough. Maybe I can rig something up. I'm looking at as little as 50 gallons a day, so 40000 BTU per day. That might be 10 pounds of wood pellets per day if 50% of the heat goes into the water and 25% escapes to my house and 25% goes up the chimney. I was thinking I could batch fire it, maybe on a timer, as long as I used *most of my hot water at the same time each day.

Maybe adapt this sort of design to a pellet or wood fired water heater, scaled to 60 gallons or so. Simple enough.

http://www.aprovecho.org/web-content...ket/rocket.htm

I wouldn't want the water to be pressurized, for safety and compliance reasons, but perhaps my hot water lines could run on small electric pumps or hand pumps. That way I could also have the water for the hot water supplied by rain water catchment, so it would be soft water, and require less soap, which would in turn lend itself better to grey water recycling.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:12 PM

So I just picked up this pellet stove about a week ago. A chunk of $ but then again I just paid off my car after 5 years. Ill never buy a new car again!

Well heres my new pellet stove. I still have to get it installed.

http://www.americanenergysystems.com...ountryside.cfm

Old 08-25-2008, 11:51 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Are you going to make our own pellets at home?
I know a fellow in that business. people call him all the time, year round looking for them and he can't keep up with orders for pellets. Even in summer.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walls0stone
Are you going to make our own pellets at home?
I know a fellow in that business. *people call him all the time, year round looking for them and he can't keep up with orders for pellets. Even in summer.
Nope I do enough stuff at home to keep me busy. I delt with Home Depot. They had the best price on pellets in this area.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:00 AM

2 man hours per week and I have all the wood I need for the year. gota clear those fields some how.

Say, if sawmills burn sawdust, why bother make'n pellets?
Old 03-09-2012, 05:32 PM

is there an easy way to make pellets at home? I saw some videos on you tube but it looks like alot of work, we have a pellet stove and a wood stove
Old 03-10-2012, 12:56 AM

St Croix is one, http://stcroixstoves.com/
Harman is another major brand http://www.harmanstoves.com/ProductFinder.aspx?bid={22EE58FF-A75F-481B-ACFF-598709444741}

Siting of the stove is important. They are typically direct vent so best install is directly to an outside wall. But the wall has to face the right way, not directly into the wind... They are also convection, with very little radiation. So you can sit 4 feet away and not get the feel that comes with a proper wood stove. They are also useless to cook on, because the fuel hopper is built into the stove, so the top is usually the door to the hopper and is insulated.

So for general heating that can be a furnace substitute with many of the same limitations (needs electricity to run). But they do not compare to wood heat where you can boil water in a pot to humidify the home, cook in a dutch over and have heat and comfort when the grid goes down. Lots of things to balance. Perhaps you already have the emergency heating requirement covered.

In case you have not thought about it, there are some VERY good gas stoves out there. Like the soapstone gas stoves from Woodstock.

http://www.woodstove.com/cottage-franklin
If you already have natural gas this setup is the same price as a pellet stove with zero lugging around of fuel and cheaper overall to run too. And it produces the same kind of radiant heat as a wood fire. In my opinion a superior solution. It runs without mains power too, a significant advantage, so long as the NG keeps flowing. if you are on propane, then the cost side is proportional to how good deal you get on the fuel, some places are a total rip off. By buying a propane regulator/jet, you can have a backup in case the NG infrastructure were to go down for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
Just bought a house in an Rural area. I heat with Oil. Id like to kick over to a pellet stove for the main source of heating. My house is about 1200 square feet, an old barn. Could someone point me out to a good range/brand of pellet stoves. I googled pellet stoves but didnt find what I was looking for.

-Mr.B
Old 03-11-2012, 10:51 PM

I've heated my house primarily with pellets for 5 years. Some random observations...overall I like it...but your mileage may vary. My stove is a Breckwell Big "E". I burn 6 - 7 tons of pellets per year.

The stove doesn't get hot like a wood stove...only part that you cannot place your hand on while it's rocking is the door....top and sides are warm but far from hot enough to burn you.

If you have no power, you have no heat. There are 2 blowers that run 100% of the time that the stove is turned on. My generator ran it easily during our last power outage though.

My stove seems to eat blowers...in the last 5 years I've had to change out the combustion blower 3 times and the convection blower twice....$300 at clip. Auger motor replaced once. My stove runs 24x7 though for roughly 6 months a year. My service guy tells me that pellet stoves were never meant to run THAT much.

I also have a wood stove, the pellet fuel is MUCH cleaner and easier to deal
with.

Cleaning isn't a big deal..stir the pot a few times day..let it cool and vacuum out all the ash once a week...once per year take the whole thing apart and clean.

Overall, I'm very happy with the pellet stove...but if I had it to do over I would have installed a wood stove. I like the fact that with a woodstove (or gas too I guess) as long as you feed it fuel it will warm you....Pellet stove you need fuel & power.

Just wanted to share some thoughts. Good luck with whatever you decide!

If you have any specific questions I'll do my best to answer.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post

-Mr.B
Hello

We heat our entire house with a pellet stove. It is so much cheaper to burn a 40 lb bag of wood pellets for $4 that lasts 24 hours than gas or oil! We even heat our shed and garage with 2 more pellet stoves!

If you need more information try the Pellet Stove Master @ East Coast Hearth just fill out the contact page.
Pellet stove repair and pellet stove cleaning and used pellet stoves.
http://www.pelletstovemaster.com
Stoves, Parts and supplies
http://www.eastcoasthearth.com

Last edited by don2222; 07-03-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samie View Post
is there an easy way to make pellets at home? I saw some videos on you tube but it looks like alot of work, we have a pellet stove and a wood stove
My father has a pellet stove and burns 10-12 ton per year so we looked at making our own pellets, and we found out it was NOT worth it. Here are some of the reasons...

First of all you need to break the wood you get down into a form that you can pelletize. That means buying previously shredded wood, or making it yourself. To do it yourself, you would need a chipper and a hammermill...both of which cost money to buy, and time to feed the wood into.

Then you make the pellets. The mill for that runs off the pto on a tractor, but only produces about 600 pounds per hour. That is only 15 bags of pellets and yet you have burned a few gallons of diesel fuel just to get that.

Even at this point you are not ready to burn the pellets...a little issue called moisture content really rears its ugly head here. To make the pellets you must have green wood so that the heat of compressing the wood through the die fuses the wood together to form the pellet, but now that green wood is too green to burn. Somehow you must dry the pellets.

All the time and effort it would take to dry out the pellets, after gathering the wood, chipping it, processing it with a hammermill, making the pellets and then drying them is really time consuming and expensive when you are faced with a $3 bag of pellets already made. The big plants can do it so efficiently because they have economy of scale, but my dad and I deduced it was not financially feasible to do it for home use.

He is still happy with his pellet boiler though. With oil he was heating his 5280 sq foot home at $4500 per year, but last year his pellet boiler cost him only $2200. So in 2 years time he will get his return on investment.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK View Post
What I had in mind was a pellet fired domestic water heater in winter, combined with solar hot water heater in summer. Regular wood stove for space heat, combined with passive solar for the shoulder seasons. Thing is, they don't make pellet fired domestic water heaters small enough. Maybe I can rig something up. I'm looking at as little as 50 gallons a day, so 40000 BTU per day. That might be 10 pounds of wood pellets per day if 50% of the heat goes into the water and 25% escapes to my house and 25% goes up the chimney. I was thinking I could batch fire it, maybe on a timer, as long as I used *most of my hot water at the same time each day.
My father has an Amaizing Heat boiler which does his domestic hot water and his house. At max it runs 200,000 btus but primarily he runs it at 130,000 BTUS.

http://www.cornburningfurnace.com/boilers.html

I love the design because it is small, efficient and heats water really well. I also like that he can run three types of fuel on it: pellets, corn, and coal. The later is what I am interested in as I am not a huge fan of pellets, but can understand why they have appeal to certain people.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:04 AM

I heard something the other day regarding pellets. I deal with sawmills as my primary clients right now, and they are buying hardwood pulpwood for making pellets. The wood is shredded and sold to companies that make the pellets, then the pellets are exported primarily to Germany. Pellet stoves must be very popular there, and hardwood pulpwood in short supply.