Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Energy > Hydro/Wind/Wood/Geothermal

Hydro/Wind/Wood/Geothermal And other types of alternative energy

Old 04-06-2007, 10:28 AM
Inactive Member

Default Modifying fireplace to fit wood stove

I have a fireplace that I want to put to good use...meaning setting a wood stove inside of it so all my heat isn't lost up the chimney this winter. I have waited for fairly warm weather to do this so I can get a good deal on the stove itself. What all do I need to do in order to ensure this conversion goes smoothly and burns safely come November?

Old 04-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Re: Modifying fireplace to fit wood stove

Here's some good info:

http://fireplaces.bobvila.com/Article/874.html

"Installing a wood stove" It talks about sizing the stove, types, and clearance requirements. Also has links to Vermont Castings. They're cute little stoves - and put out a LOT of heat. My friend here in town has one and I thought it was a toy until I got near it! It was a HOT little rascal! (The thing about a small stove is that you have to cut the wood pretty small & have to clean them out more than a larger one.)

I used a big old Grandpa Bear airtight stove for years and loved it because I could shut the front air supply off on a roaring fire and have heat all night and coals in the morning to quickly start a new load of wood.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:41 AM
Banned

Buy the largest box you can get preferably one that has the most exposure of stove to the room as the actual heat is transferred through the metal so if most of the metal is in the fireplace your efficiency is diminished. Good Luck and keep your chimney clean.

Rick
Old 04-12-2007, 06:18 AM

hearth.com and woodheat.org have some good info.

I'd also second CarolAnn's comment on Vermont Castings stoves. Just bought the Dutch West model this past Autumn and it's the sole source of heat for a 2400 sq ft home (1200 up/1200 down). Not cheap, but works great and can hold 18" logs. Owned 2 homes with standard fireplaces, and a cottage with a "Ben Franklin", but this was my first experience with an airtight stove and I love it. Opening the ash pan door underneath the firebox when you have some coals literally turns it into a blast furnace for some quick heat or for lighting new logs - have to be careful not to overfire it when doing this tho. Burns logs 100%, nothing but ash left if you let it burn out. All locked down with a full load of oak and it still has enough coals to re-light easy 8 hours later.

Good luck
Old 04-12-2007, 06:28 AM
Passed On

We've got just a plain wood stove - never had one before. I like it, and I like what it does to my utility bills. One thing I do not like about it is that the fan has a blower to improve efficiency. In itself not a bad thing, but the people that installed it (last owners) put it too close to the wall. If the power went out (as it does from time to time) the wall got hot. We have since moved it out from the wall, and put a heat shield between the wall and stove. Really worried me about power going out in the night while we were sleeping and the stove toasting the wall.

Two types of stove nowadays - catalytic converter and those without. We have a "those without". Don't have experience with catalytic converters to compare, but like my stove just fine. I understand those converters are expensive and need to be replaced from time to time. Something to consider - how are you going to find a platinum coated mechravence (and afford it) after the mfg's have moved on to other stove models.

Gotta agree with advice about keeping chimney/stove pipe clean. Don't know if you run a stove pipe through existing chimney or just use the chimney, but our stove pipe is easy to keep clean. Just like punching a shotgun barrel. Plus, it can be disassembled.

Best of luck to you. You're gonna like the added efficiency of a stove over a fireplace.

Regards,
Pat
Old 05-16-2007, 04:52 PM
cub_cadet

What ya need is what`s called a fireplace insert if yer gonna want to put it in yer existing fireplace. Just make sure to get one that`ll stick out far enough into the room ta give ya the heat. If it comes with a blower, then all the better. Our house I grew up in had a real beautee of a fireplace thet wasn`t big enough to handle the insert we had. So, I cut a hole thru the wall and tapped into the clay flue with some standard smoke pipe and had the insert converted into a free standin stove. Worked just fine fer me!