BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 01-11-2008, 12:53 AM

Default You can save money on fuel like I am.

First you need a diesel truck, car or anything that runs in diesel. Gather up used motor and transmission fluid. Mix 50 50 with diesel. Run it threw a fuel filter water separtor (1 to 10 micron you can get at TSC in the farm diesel section that has the clear outside so you can see the water and also tape some magnets to it.). Pour it in your diesel and enjoy half price. It's just that easy. Works best on 1996 and older trucks. Newer than 1996 use 70% diesel. Motor oil has more BTU's diesel so you'll probably enjoy better mpg! Hope this helps your life! Turbo
Old 01-11-2008, 10:20 AM

Default Re: You can save money on fuel like I am.

Running the mix for a year. Never changed a filter in my truck yet. I've run 60,000 miles on the oil mix. If you want to try it. Go to walmart and buy some new walmart brand oil. It's 8.00 for 5 quarts. Buy 2 of these put in a 5 gallon gas can then fill the rest of the way with diesel. Pour in your ride and try it.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I've been doing the same thing for several years... The only thing is, i only burn my own used oil, and i let the used oil sit in jugs for a week or so to let the "heavies" settle out before using it for fuel.

I've run it in my pu's, and other equipment and it works fine...

I don't use it in the winter, because the oil raises the pour point, and will cause the fuel to gell easily in the cold weather...

DM

Illegal immigration is ruining America, look what it has done to the White House.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:57 PM

Not to be a spoil sport or to suggest you don't do this, but it is probably illegal on several levels.

Particulates, heavy metal compounds in the exhaust, not to mention the road taxes not being paid if you drive on the public roads with this mixture...

Again, not saying you shouldn't do it, just saying you should be aware, as you should in any endeavor, of the breadth and potential consequences of your actions.

Hey, if it catches on, maybe we'll have "red" motor oil next to go with the red kerosene and red diesel...

Marxism: The ultimate illusory fantasy.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:03 PM

I don't think you have to worry about tax on small amounts that you do not SELL to anyone...

Secondly, Cummins offered as an option for a time, (maybe still does?) a system that drew off motor oil as you drove, and burned it... You had a clean oil tank you kept filled, and as you drove you were changing your oil.... Every so many miles, you changed the oil filters...

It worked for them, it works for me...

DM

Illegal immigration is ruining America, look what it has done to the White House.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:39 AM

$Cha ching$
Are you kidding?
I've never heard of this! I have a diesel tractor & change my own oil in all my vehicles, soooooo...
No ill effects to the motor or in starting ease?
This kicks a$$ if it's all good...
Anyone else out there try it?

1stmate
Old 03-03-2008, 09:37 AM

That just sounds illegal to me... if it wasn't I imagine someone would be selling a product to filter the oil on late night tv. I can't imagine the added emissions from it are too great for the environment either.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmercer
That just sounds illegal to me... if it wasn't I imagine someone would be selling a product to filter the oil on late night tv. I can't imagine the added emissions from it are too great for the environment either.
People are doing it every day all over the U.S... You don't need some "spl." filter either...

I wouldn't put it in a new puterized diesel with all the sending units, but it works perfectly in all of my mechanical diesels here on my place...

Mixed 50/50 you can't even tell it's in there....and makes excelent summer fuel.

DM

Old 03-03-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM

People are doing it every day all over the U.S... You don't need some "spl." filter either...

I wouldn't put it in a new puterized diesel with all the sending units, but it works perfectly in all of my mechanical diesels here on my place...

Mixed 50/50 you can't even tell it's in there....and makes excelent summer fuel.

DM

Just because people are doing it doesn't mean it is illegal... People moonshine, people grow marijuana... doesn't make it legal.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM
I don't think you have to worry about tax on small amounts that you do not SELL to anyone...
I wouldn't be so sure about that. If you make ANY amount of bio-diesel you are supposed to pay tax on it. Even if it's just a gallon. People have been getting in hot water from it... I believe 2 or 3 months ago in Mother Earth News they did an article on it and how you need to read up on what you have to pay and who you have to pay before you go making bio-diesel... I imagine the same goes for motor-oil as fuel.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Master Pontificator

I've found that pouring the oil into a large container such as a milk jug or other large see through container and allowing the jug full of oil to set undesturbed for several weeks allows nearly all of the contaminants to settle out of the oil. Just pour off the clean stuff and run it through a coffee filter just to be sure and it burns just fine.

I mix the Walmart 2 stroke oil in the gallon jugs in my diesel fuel for my truck at about 100 : 1 for injection and lift pump lubrication purposes. The most recent ULSD diesel does not have near the lubricity of the original #2 diesel formula. Another good way to bring up the lubricity of ULSD is to add at least 2% biodiesel.

If you decide to make your own biodiesel, I would just keep that bit of info. under my hat. The less people know about your business the better. That goes for big brother especially.

This type of oil recycling has been going on in the marine and over the road trucking industry for many years.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM

*People are doing it every day all over the U.S... *You don't need some "spl." filter either...

*I wouldn't put it in a new puterized diesel with all the sending units, but it works perfectly in all of my mechanical diesels here on my place...

*Mixed 50/50 you can't even tell it's in there....and makes excelent summer fuel.

*DM
I reread my post and i can't see where i said it was "legal"??

BUT, it's just as legal as pouring 2 stroke oil in your fuel, or buying an additive from wally world and pouring that into the fuel.

BTW, i'm a farmer and this a farming community, and i've never heard of even one person get bothered for running used oil in there diesel... And what about the Cummins option that puts crankcase oil in the fuel to burn it, as new oil is added from a tank??

I know a guy that put a 4 cyl Cummins diesel in an old Chev pu, and he's been running it on "straight" used oil for over two years now...

They only check you for red fuel here...

DM

Old 03-08-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:

If you make ANY amount of bio-diesel you are supposed to pay tax on it.
No. Up to 300 gallons without Federal Road Fuel Tax.
You may even get a tax credit for buying it.
State taxes.....well that's another thing. :

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p510.pdf
Old 03-08-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidOH

No. Up to 300 gallons without Federal Road Fuel Tax.
You may even get a tax credit for buying it.
State taxes.....well that's another thing. :

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p510.pdf
Alright 300 gallons, and that is what, a year? *shrugs*

Back to burning motor oil, I still say it is not good for the environment, and illegal.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:34 PM

I bet burning used motor oil is a lot better for the enviroment than these jokers in the poor areas of the cities who are still changing their oil by draining it in the nearest ditch. I see that happening in my own neighborhood. After telling them they could just leave it at the end of my drive. Guy told me it was to much work that he would keep dropping it in the ditch. Glad he got evicted.... Amazingly at the same time my trucks stopped getting broken in to. Which was happening about every ten days. I think he got paid every two weeks. When he ran short he would just hit cars near by for toll money until he had what he needed.

Larry
South Central VA Since 2008
Old 03-09-2008, 02:18 PM

You know... I've been wanting to buy an older vehicle just to tinker on, to develop mechanical skills... now I'm half tempted to look for an older diesel. After doing some thinking... I realize tons of cars are already burning oil, from leaks so what's it really gonna matter... if only I had a steady supply to sued motor oil
Old 03-09-2008, 03:55 PM

If you look around you can find older, mechanical diesel engines in the 100-200hp range pretty reasonable. *I have several buddies who have taken these motors for their muddin' trucks and rock crawlers. I believe they got their engines out of Ottawa style yard trucks.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msta999

It is not illegal. The new trucks perform an oil change while driving. The old oil is injected to the fuel system to be burned and the new oil is injected into the crankcase, all of this done in the lower 48 while driving down the road. If there are any doughts, take it to an emissions tester and have it tested, if it fails, then yes it is bad for the environment, but it burns at such a high temp/pressure, the oil gets burned up. Even engines that use/burn oil will pass emissions. Excessive oil consumption will not cause you to fail an emissions test. Excess unburned fuel will, or the engine running too hot will. Of course, failed components will also.

Just don't start making large quantities and start selling it.
Indiana doesn't have emissions test, so no emissions testers.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:10 AM

Quote:
You know... I've been wanting to buy an older vehicle just to tinker on, to develop mechanical skills... now I'm half tempted to look for an older diesel. After doing some thinking... I realize tons of cars are already burning oil, from leaks so what's it really gonna matter... if only I had a steady supply to sued motor oil
What are you saying, now that YOU decided you'd like to do it too, it's "ok" if it's "illegal" and "bad for the enviorment"?? lol lol

DM 8)

Old 03-20-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM

What are you saying, now that YOU decided you'd like to do it too, it's "ok" if it's "illegal" and "bad for the enviorment"?? lol lol

DM 8)
Screw my grandchildren... I'm on Terra now, and I want my full use out of her hahahah.