Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Energy

Energy Energy topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:20 AM
Inactive Member

Default Aladdin lamp problem

I have 2 new aladdin lamps that I have just started using. The wicks burns unevenly and when turned up the flame starts to go thru the mantle when only about half the mantle is glowing. I would think this should not happen and the mantle should burn much brighter. This happens with both lamps. I have used the wick trimmer and even put a new wick in one lamp and it still happens. Am I doing something stupid here? Thanks, JEFF

Old 10-12-2007, 12:31 PM
Master Pontificator

Default Re: Aladdin lamp problem

Check out:

http://www.survivalunlimited.com/lan...mplighting.htm

http://www.kountrylife.com/content/how66.htm

-Karen
Old 10-21-2007, 06:21 PM
Inactive Member

What kind of fuel are you using? Are you letting the lamp warm up? You need to let it burn at a very low level for ten minutes before you raise the wick for more light.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:14 AM
Grand Master Pontificator
Super Moderator

Good luck to ya. I had 2 of them and gave them away.. :-/
*Robert Frost*
Old 03-30-2008, 05:02 PM
Inactive Member

Trim the wick and if you are above 3500ft try a chimney extension.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:08 AM

Location: Cleveland Ohio,, *For now :) Till I can build my new Home.

I have two aladdin lamps (model 23) and while burning there is oil collecting at the bottom of the lamp and leaking out. Is there a drain hole that could be blocked or some thing I am not doing right? I know it is being drawn up the wick but I cannot figure out why it is collecting inside the burner and dripping out. Other than get rid of the lamps I'd love some suggestions.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Master Pontificator

I think I have the model 28 mantle lamp. It worked great when new, until a chimney broke. It has never worked right since. Even when burning at half way, the mantle will start smoking and become coated with soot and be useless. I gave up and now just burn it like a regular oil lamp.

If you have to ask why, you wouldn`t understand my answer.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:08 PM

I burn my Aladdin (model 23, wall mount) every day for 3 or 4 hours. I burn K1 kero in it, but around here it is $10/gallon bulk at the Co-op. When you trim the wick only turn the trimmer one direction. Don't use a cracked mantle. Don't overfill it, only up to within 1/2 inch or more of the filler cap. Let it warm up before turning it up. Don't turn it up too high or it will blacken up the mantle. When (not if) you do blacken up the mantle, simply turn it down and the black will burn off. NEVER LEAVE IT ON UNATTENDED!!! If it happens to runaway (which does happen and is scary the first time) simply turn it down and place a plate on top of the chimney, it will go out.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:15 AM

I'm having the same problem! I lit it the first day I bought it and the light was incredibly brilliant. The next day, it would only get about 1/4 as bright no matter what. I follow the lighting instructions to the tee, but can still only get 1/4 output of what it was the first day... could the wick need trimmed already?? Any suggestions?
Old 07-05-2011, 12:29 PM

HOLLYBETH1: I am with Prairie's advise on this one. Using an alladin lamp has a learning curve. The only thing I can add to the advise is use a metal wick trimmer. I have tried the plastic ones and they don't get the job done for me. Turning in one direction is a must in my book. I also look at the finished trim to see if there are any little "threads" that will turn into problems. I use a very small scissors and trim them off should they exist.

Prairie has it correct. Never, Never leave the lamp unattended. I constantly monitor the burning of the lamps when in use. Aladdins have a bad habit of going south real fast. I love the light and heat in the cool evenings. That being said, alladins require more attention to detail than a regular oil lamp.

Good luck, Charlie
Old 07-05-2011, 01:10 PM

Once again, I'm learning new things here. Pardon the ignorant question, but could someone tell me what this aladin lamp thing is? From clicking the links above, I gather that it is the Coleman lantern equivalent of a kerosene lamp? Some fabric mesh glows white from the heat of a regular kerosene flame?

It seems that the cheapest ones cost about a hundred bucks. Are they superior enough to justify the cost? Do the parts fail frequently, or are they reliable enough to use for the long term?

Thanks for the education!
Old 07-05-2011, 08:55 PM

Grumble: I don't know if I can answer all your questions. But, I can give you my opinion if that is any help.

First, owning an alladin lamp is a love-hate relationship for most folks. This includes me from time to time. They can be a bit tricky to maintain. The light they give off is great. No hiss, no gasoline and no generator issues. The alladin however does have issues of its own. The mantle is in harms way a bit more than the coleman. The wick has to be trimmed nearly perfect for the lamp to work realy well. The wick does build up carbon deposits when using K1. I am told that paint thinner does a better job. I am going to give this a try. Also, the alladin give off a great deal of heat. If it is cool at night they are a plus. I get about 6 hours of burn time at the setting I use on a fill. The chimneys are expensive. I am very careful when cleaning the chimney. Other than that it is a walk in the park. When trimming the wick use a metal trimmer. I consider the plastic trimmer to be simple junk. If you look real close at the flame you can see the problem areas and usually correct them before the lamp begins to develope carbon on the mantle. If carbon should form on the mantle simply turn it way down and slowly burn it off.

The alladin cost is way to high for me to buy new. I always buy used. There are a lot of folks out there that are not willing to put up with the alladin. They go relatively cheap at flea markets, garage sales & ebay at times. I have paid as little as $10.00 for a complete lamp at a garage sale. The folks simply hated it.

The most important thing to remember about an alladin lamp is, NEVER, NEVER LEAVE IT UNATTENDED! All my alladins require careful monitoring during the time I am burning them. I have made it simple habit to glance at the mantle every so often for carbon buildup. If you should leave one unattended you WILL have a mess when you return, guarranteed. I will not even leave the room to do something else for any long period of time. The lamp can go south very fast.

All that being said I love my alladin lamps. Owning an alladin lamp is much like being married. You learn how to finesse things.

Cheers, Charlie

Last edited by recoilless_57mm; 07-06-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:38 AM

What a great reply, Charlie! Thanks for taking time.

I'll take your advice on watching for them at a yard sale. I have several propane and gasoline lanterns, but these aladin lamps sounded like a pretty good thing to have on hand for more regular use. But now it sounds like maybe they'd be better as a backup to the backup.

Thanks again for the time and great description.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:00 PM

Grumble: Thank you for the kind words & you are welcome.

I might add that some of the earlier lamps can be fitted with the more modern #23 burner. It runs in my mind that the model B, model 12 & a few others have the coarse threat that the model 23 has. This opens up the possibility of purchasing an older less expensive font and fitting it with more modern parts. Stay away from the models with the fine machine thread. Parts can be more expensive and hard to get.

Spare parts would be chimneys, wicks, mantles, flame spreader & a gallery. I have had gallerys crack after extended use. I think they become brittle from the intense heat. The same thing happens to flame spreaders. This sight has parts for nearly all kerosene burners. www.milesstair.com

http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=htt...lamp_test.html I googled this article on using oderless paint thinner. This is something I am going to try. If it reduces the amount of carbon formation on the wick it will be worth it.

Take care & God bless, Charlie

Last edited by recoilless_57mm; 07-06-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:55 PM

Once again, thanks for the helpful info! I think I'll watch for these things at yard sales, but I'll probably buy what's there regardless of the type. Assuming the price is right, of course. Knowing what spares should be stocked is valuable info.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:51 AM

Default Great lamp

I recently inherited a 1941 Model B Aladdin lamp. It was complete except for a bad mantle and chimney, which I replaced. Had to get the old wick unstuck before I could use it. I ran it for about 10 hours on clear lamp oil and it worked fine at first but eventually the lamp oil clogged the wick and the wick was ruined (it became brittle and crumbly at its top). After replacing the wick, I then switched to K-1 kerosene but forgot to replace the flame spreader after trimming the wick, and could not figure out why I was getting a rough yellow flame instead of a smooth blue flame! The flame spreader is a small thimble-like cup with multiple holes in it that sits inside of the inner wick tube and sticks up about 1/2" above the top of the wick - your Aladdin needs one of these to burn properly. I finally realized the flame spreader was out of the lamp, replaced it, and now the Aladdin runs like new. Have burned it for 16 hours now on the K-1 kerosene I got at Home Depot for about $9 per gallon, and it is working great. So, if your lamp is burning with yellow and orange spikes: Check the condition of the wick and trim it, check to make sure the flame spreader is properly in place, check the burner assembly and flame spreader for clogged air holes, and use only K-1 kerosene or genuine Aladdin lamp oil. Keep breezes away from the Aladdin when burning. Let new or dry wicks soak up oil for at least an hour before lighting. Hope this helps. Good luck!