The the essential how-to guide for anyone who decides to keep a cow. Practical, fully-illustrated chapters with accurate information on buying, behavior, nutrition, breeds, handling, feeding, milking, healthcare, calving, and growing feed crops.
The Family Cow includes:
- The history and behavior of the cow.
- Nutritional needs, from grass to milk.
- Buying a cow -- the sources, breeds and factors to consider.
- Handling techniques, housing, and fencing.
- Feeds and feeding -- cow and calf.
- Milking and uses of milk.
- Health and diseases, breeding and calving.
- Growing feed crops, use of manure.