Gardeners, cooks, and all who love wholesome foods will want this comprehensive guide. Presented with a full array of techniques, even busy folks can develop a healthful, well-stocked pantry using preservation methods best suited to their lifestyles.
Step-by-step illustrated instructions, which follow current U.S. Department of Agriculture guidelines, accompany the indispensable charts that describe preparation techniques, and processing and storage times. Suggestions and instructions for preserving all varieties of foods — including jams and jellies, oils and vinegars, and attractive gifts--make this the only book a home preserver will need
The Big Book of Preserving the Harvest covers handling and managing produce fresh from the market or garden including:
- Canning — Containers and equipment, techniques, safety, and what to can
- Drying — Equipment, appropriate foods, drying times, and storage methods
- Freezing — Containers and wrappings, dry and wet pack methods, and safety precautions
- Pickling — Canning, freezing, and refrigerating, and equipment and containers
- Preserving — Canning and freezing jams, jellies, and preserves, adding pectin, and gift ideas