- Doesn’t it just stand to reason — doesn’t it just? — that the Human Ken Doll has has nothing good to say about the Human Barbie Doll? Weird old world we live in, innit?
- I know there’s absolutely nothing funny about a fatal mudslide, as the people of Oso, Washington, are learning to their horror. But at least there’s a certain strangely poetic justice to this mudslide in China.
- Government priorities. I swear, anybody as witty as Tam ought to have a late-night show of her own and be getting fabulously rich and famous.
- The homeless guy and the ATM jackpot.
- “Stop adding up the wealth of the poor.” Y’know, when you explain it that way, I see your point.
- A brief video tour of British accents. Hilariously well done!
Archive for the ‘Money’ Category
- What nonsense. Lego doesn’t destroy children’s souls. Now, My Little Pony, on the other hand …
- The ATF: as corrupt as they are cruel and incompetent.
- The 10 states people are leaving. Some surprises at the bottom of the list. No surprises at all at the top.
- Our glorious ally in freedom, Saudi Arabia, has declared all atheists to be terrorists. Of course, Christians were already on their naughty list.
- Good infographic on militarization of policing.
- Does it worry anybody besides me that this list of most popular (actually, just most populated) U.S. jobs contains not a single position in which someone is actually making something? Only the third from the bottom even comes close.
- Anybody need a temporary phone number? (H/T S)
- I personally use StartPage for my searches because … well, Katherine Albrecht. But kudos also to DuckDuckGo, whose very principled CEO is interviewed behind that link.
- The natives are getting even more restless. (Via Sipsey Street)
- Beaded guns. Yes, very, very weird.
- Cops in Hawaii assert that they really, really, really need that law that allows them, and only them, to have sex with prostitutes.
- So what exactly did Erdogan think would happen when he tried to ban Twitter? Didn’t somebody say something about “can’t stop the signal”?
- I see the point. Larry Page would rather leave his billions to Elon Musk than to charity.
- Dog names (per jed in comments). Belladonna Squishypup. Definitely beats Maggie. Or Max.
- Okay, now I’ve gotten some fabulous deals at garage sales, yard sales, estate sales, rummage sales, or jumble sales as this article prefers to call them. But I must admit I’ve never just picked up some random little item for … $14,000??? Fourteen thousand dollars? At a junk sale? Are you kidding me? Still, if that’s your idea of a bargain, well, in this case, you’re amazingly correct.
- Man now living in the house of the lawyer who ripped him off. Sweet revenge.
- Boeing makes smart phones??? Who knew? Apparently this one self-destructs if tampered with.
- I’m not a sports person and I never heard of Dean Smith. But this is a touching tribute for a good man.
- Do seven people really control the security of the Internet? (H/T JB)
- Antimatter beams. Ho hum. So commonplace. (H/T JB)
- The most expensive eviction in NYC history. It involved the Mayflower Hotel, a cranky old hermit, and a room with a view. Quite a tale.
- Inside Her Majesty’s Listening Service. Britain’s GCHQ, NSA’s partner in crime. (H/T JG)
- Are Bitcoins really just two-bit tulips?
- Arizona city to checkpoint operators: Get out of town.
- “Where’s their nerve? Today’s comics mock poop, not the powerful.” Truth. Well spoken.
- The 15 best movies that didn’t win Oscars. Some good ones in there.
Good bad attitude
Thursday, I went to that place I inaccurately refer to as The Big City. Mostly it qualifies as The Big City only if you’re used to places like Chicken, Alaska, or Rabbit Hash, Kentucky.
Still, despite not being as cosmopolitan as Casper, Wyoming, or as bustling as Pocatello, Idaho, our Big City has its metropolitan moments. Not all of them good.
To wit, we were at a stoplight, third in line to make a right turn, when an elderly gent started hobbling across the street with the aid of a cane. He was moving at a pretty good clip for a bent old guy. But that wasn’t good enough for the jerk whose truck was first in line for the turn.
Honk! Honk! Honk!
Said cretin laid on the horn. Hoping to accomplish what, I can’t imagine. Did he expect the old guy to hop on his cane and fly the rest of the way across the street?
My friend L. and I were indignant and feeling very bad for the harrassed octogenarian. But he didn’t need our sympathies. As he stepped to the curb, he raised an arm high over his head and gave the truck jerk an emphatic “friendly finger” before striding onward.
Bad good attitude
The occasion for the Big City expedition was birthdays. Two friends are about to have them and a third missed hers a few months ago because she was in the hospital wishing she were dead.
So I told the three I’d take them to lunch at a lovely winery near the Big City. We’re blessed to have a gorgeous winery in this otherwise dreary working-class area and it’s always a treat to go there.
- OMG, there may be a Velveeta shortage during the Super Bowl!
- … which would be especially awful when you consider whose teams are playing. What will happen when all those fans get the munchies?
- Dunno whether this bullying from a TSA thug is for real or not. Wouldn’t be surprised, though.
- Abramski case. I’d love to see the ATF get its arse handed to it on this one.
- Just in case you had any doubts about who the fedgov really works for.
- Judge rules sperm donor to be responsible for child support. Strange ruling. Governmentthink.
- Dogstuff: sweet and heartbreaking. (H/T MLS)
- Dogstuff: just plain sweet. And he’s a pit bull, wouldn’t you know it.
- Just when you think anti-gunners couldn’t make themselves sound more obviously stupid.
- Good reason to get a Finnish passport. :-)
- Four minutes. Four. To crack Obamacare “security.” Eh. No surprise, really. Fools.
- I became a writer by accident. For two years, I wouldn’t admit I was one because in my experience, they were mostly a bunch of drunken ne’er-do-wells. But maybe that’s a good thing.
- This focuses on what will trigger the next stock market mess. Implications (about triggering effects) go way beyond that. You’ll see what I mean.
- How to get rich and stay rich Again, not what you’re probably thinking.
- The entertaining McDonnell indictment. The good governor and his charmingly frugal (and subtle!) wife could have taken a lesson from that last link.
- Andrew Cuomo vs “Boo” Burnham. And the media vs reality.
- When graphic designers get bored.