A new twist in the nation’s insane drug war, or as I like to call it — The Police, Judiciary, Prison System, and Bar Association Full Employment Act.
America’s Third War: Is the U.S. Arming Mexican Cartels?
If you ever watch video or look at pictures of the drug war in Mexico, you’ll notice some pretty heavy weapons. This is a war being waged with rockets and plastic explosives, not pea shooters and Saturday Night Specials. Consider these incidents:
– A M26A2 fragmentation grenade used against a U.S. Consulate in Mexico in 2008
– Explosive projectiles and 21 grenades found during a raid in Guadalupe
– An unexploded grenade and pull ring used to attack a TV station in Monterrey
– Automatic weapons, including U.S.-made M16s, found at a cartel crime scene in May 2009
– U.S. military-issued ammunition found in a cartel raid in Reynosa in November 2008
You can’t buy this stuff at a U.S. gun store. So where do the cartels get it? According to leaked diplomatic cables, there are three sources.
1. U.S. Defense Department shipments to Latin America, known and tracked by the U.S. State Department as “foreign military sales.”
2. Weapons ordered by the Mexican government, tracked by the State Department as “direct commercial sales.”
3. Aging, but plentiful arsenals of military weapon stores in Honduras, Guatemala and Nicaragua.
Even though these facts were well-known by the Obama administration, including Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Attorney General Eric Holder, it blamed much of the violence in Mexico on U.S. gun stores.
Nice, eh? While the Feds lie about the true source of the arms the cartels are using they continue to call for more restrictions on law-abiding citizens. And they continue to waste billions of dollars in a futile effort to stop the import of products millions of citizens clearly want to use.
Many believe the whole thing began as an excuse to militarize our civilian police forces and everyone except the truly clueless knows the drug war is and has always been an abject failure.
How many more lives must we destroy in this futile, misguided attempt to stop people from making adult decisions about what to put in their bodies?
So much for bad news. Now for some very good news!
Soldier on leave captures bank robber.
I agree with the guy interviewing him. Someone should give him a medal…and maybe some extra leave time to spend with his family.